PDA

View Full Version : ICO

polly0
08-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Has anyone registered with the ICO for Data Protection? just asking the question as I have just e-mailed them to actually see what they are protecting and how they protect it. Just seems like another expense to me:mad:

christine e
09-11-2010, 07:00 AM
Hi

yes I have registered and so have many more on the forum. What difference if makes I can't work out but was told even if we store photos on a camera then we have to register. I proposed at last year's NCMA cconference that NCMA try and get a reduced fee for us but in these difficult times I think they are having problems getting a government dept to make a reduction!

Cx

Carol M
09-11-2010, 07:34 AM
I am still waiting on my childminding coordinator to let us know if we can use the Early Years address for registering. Our addresses are published and our occupation! so much for protecting our data!
I have told ICO the issue and have asked them to put my registration on hold till I get an answer from our EY team. Probably have a long wait:(
Carol xx

sarah707
09-11-2010, 07:40 AM
We were told there was no choice but to register if we wanted to work legally so yes I registered.

I resent it big time but it had to be done :(

singingcactus
09-11-2010, 08:44 AM
The only reason I was going to have to register was to use a digital camera. I have since gone back to using wet film for business use - works out cheaper than the yearly fee to the ICO and I get additional prints with tripleprint.
So I am not registering with them - like sarah I was very resentful of the registration.

PixiePetal
09-11-2010, 08:51 AM
I use my camera so registered under duress. Even the people I spoke to at ICO thought it was daft as I print my photos on a mini printer (not PC) at home and delete :rolleyes:

polly0
09-11-2010, 10:27 PM
I use a digital camera and print out on a pogo printer then delete. I was also told that even if you stored parents phone numbers in your mobile you had to register:eek:

I did not know about having my details published, I think I will just hold on and see what the outcome is.

linda2girls
09-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Yes, I registered. Resent it, but I want my work to be legal.

Linda.

smartie
09-11-2010, 10:44 PM
My husband has done his uni module on this data protection act and you do not need to register unless you are keeping names and address on your computer. so just storing digital photos on your comp is fine as long as you do not attach a first and last name to the photo. Just freddie or sam is fine though.

jacey
09-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Does anyone know where our details would be published and are there any guidelines / information on this?
Am I right in thinking that Ofsted were "persuaded" years ago not to publish this level of detail tied to our inspection reports on the basis of protecting children as we work generally alone and this information could be used to identify us and our homes.:(

sarah707
10-11-2010, 08:09 AM
My husband has done his uni module on this data protection act and you do not need to register unless you are keeping names and address on your computer. so just storing digital photos on your comp is fine as long as you do not attach a first and last name to the photo. Just freddie or sam is fine though.

I fully appreciate your husband has looked into this but if you ring ICO they will tell you differently.

If you take digital photos on a camera or you put anything at all about minded children on a computer, they will tell you that you must register to be working legally.

I hope this clarifies :D

rickysmiths
10-11-2010, 01:43 PM
I fully appreciate your husband has looked into this but if you ring ICO they will tell you differently.

If you take digital photos on a camera or you put anything at all about minded children on a computer, they will tell you that you must register to be working legally.

I hope this clarifies :D

This whole issue has come up at our childminding group in the last few weeks. One of the cms rang Ofsted and was told by them that we do not have to register. Then two of us were on a training day and two childminders there had also been told no need to register so they returned the packs they had been sent to be told they were now going to be fined up to £2000 for not registering :eek: It will be interesting to hear the outcome of that one.

Personally I think for the sake of £35 per year, while it seems to be a very grey area, it is worth just registering and covering your back.

I am giong to put the whole issue to NCMA because I think it is issues like this that they should be clarifiying for us.

WibbleWobble
10-11-2010, 02:33 PM
i am registered. I begrudge it but i am a stickler for all things to be proper IYKWIM.

mandy xx

Pixie dust
10-11-2010, 02:41 PM
I have received a letter today from our area childminding team saying that we do have to register if we take digital photos via camera or mobile or if we keep information on a computer, It is a statutory requirement! if you only keep paper records an use film then you don't,

hello kitty
10-11-2010, 06:19 PM

Yep, I was told that too on a County Council run Data Protection course however like the poster above I too have been told it is a "statutory requirement"! I just need to check this out for myself.

Confusing or what?

hello kitty
10-11-2010, 10:48 PM
According to the Statutory Framework for the EYFS on page 40 it comes under "Statutory guidance to which providers should have regard" and is not a Specific legal requirement, it would depend on exactly what information you are processing as to whether you need to register or not.

Hth ;)