PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with dirty knives?

mummyMia
08-11-2010, 02:21 PM
This is probably a silly question but what do you do with knives after using them? Currently I leave mine in the dishwasher (pointy end down) but I guess this is not very safe! Ds has no trouble opening the dishwasher and pulling out the baskets so he could easily get the knives:panic:

I could wash them by hand straight after each use and store them back in my locked knife drawer but I would prefer to run then through the dishwasher, especially after cutting raw meat. What do you all do?

I can't rely on a safety gate on the kitchen door as we will be doing arts and crafts, cooking, eating etc. in the kitchen.

The Juggler
08-11-2010, 02:23 PM
I don't have a dishwasher. I put mine in the washing up bowl in the sink. None of the littlies can reach up and over that high. Mine when they are washed are up in a jar out of reach of anyone under 8.

Daftbat
08-11-2010, 02:26 PM
I don't usually wash my sharp knives in the dishwasher I do it by hand. They go at the back of the sink behind the taps until I am ready to wash them.

Winnie
08-11-2010, 02:34 PM
I was told that the dishwasher blunts knifes, so i handwash mine :)

pinkbutterfly
08-11-2010, 02:35 PM
You could get a lock for the dishwasher so little hands can't open it. I bought one in Ikea and use it on my fridge.
This one here (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80108935)

singingcactus
08-11-2010, 02:53 PM
I just wash them and pop them straight into my knife block.

Ripeberry
08-11-2010, 05:16 PM
The mindees are not allowed in the kitchen full stop anyway :thumbsup:

manjay
08-11-2010, 05:52 PM
My knives go straight in the dishwasher (Mrs EHO insisted on this) but I specifically bought a dishwasher with a child lock on it. Having said that my children are taught not to touch and they don't!

Adiamond
08-11-2010, 06:54 PM
My knives go straight in the dishwasher (Mrs EHO insisted on this) but I specifically bought a dishwasher with a child lock on it. Having said that my children are taught not to touch and they don't!

Same here :thumbsup: x xx

sarah707
08-11-2010, 07:12 PM
You shouldn't put knives in the sink!! :eek: Too many accidents :(

We wash them straight away, rinse in hot water, spray with anti bac (food safe stuff), dry with kitchen towel and put them away.

If there's literally no time to wash them we have a little gap at the back of the sink where they can sit until we have time. :D

The Juggler
08-11-2010, 07:36 PM
You shouldn't put knives in the sink!! :eek: Too many accidents :(

We wash them straight away, rinse in hot water, spray with anti bac (food safe stuff), dry with kitchen towel and put them away.

If there's literally no time to wash them we have a little gap at the back of the sink where they can sit until we have time. :D

no-one goes in my sink except me. They only go in there for the duration of me finishing preparing/serving the meal,then I wash up whilst they eat. I haven't cut myself too often in the last 6 years!

Dragonfly
08-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Same as Manjay.What happened to teaching children not to touch.Put in the dishwasher which they do not touch.(pressed a few buttons over the years but never tried to open it)

sweets
08-11-2010, 08:11 PM
i wash mine in the sink along with everything else! same as people have been doing for years, never cut myself yet :laughing:

Dragonfly
08-11-2010, 08:13 PM
SWEETS its been a safe way of doing it for donkeys years well done:clapping:

sweets
08-11-2010, 08:15 PM
SWEETS its been a safe way of doing it for donkeys years well done:clapping:

thankyou very much bow bow :laughing:

miffy
08-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Having said that my children are taught not to touch and they don't!
:thumbsup:

I put knives at the back of the work surface until I can clean them.

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
08-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Straight into the dishwasher for me

Chimps Childminding
08-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Straight into the dishwasher for me

same here, none of my mindees (I have been a cm for 12 years) have ever opened the dishwasher!!!!

ajs
08-11-2010, 10:20 PM
same here, none of my mindees (I have been a cm for 12 years) have ever opened the dishwasher!!!!

same for me chldminder for over 10 years and not one child has ever tried to open the door.
i think we can over think things and i have a feeling that is what's happening here.
risk assess it and if you are happy with putting them in the dishwasher and keeping the door shut then do it, if not find a way of dealing with them that suits you and stick with that

TheBTeam
08-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Put mine to the back of the sink behind the taps and then wash them when doing the rest of the washing up, dry them straightaway and put back in the high cupboard.

the mindee are not allowed into the kitchen other than just inside the door to put stuff in the bin or for supervised cooking (oven watching!), but i take the precautions anyway.

Just got a kiddiwash station so dont have mindees in the kitchen to wash hands as i only have an upstairs loo so dont want them running up and down the stairs all the time to wash hands or clambering up to reach the kitchen sink.

mummyMia
09-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Wow, lots of replies! Thanks for the ideas. I think I will just wash them and put away after each use. That seems to be the best approach.

For those who said their children never go into the dishwasher, unfortunately this isn't the case for my 3 year old. He loves to take his own plastic dishes from the dishwasher and stack them in the kitchen cupbard while I am unloading the adult stuff. In fact he gets really upset if I am in a rush and don't let him help. So he is really confident about opening and closing the door and touching the stuff in there.

Now if only I could get him to do all the other chores around the house too ... :laughing:

bexcee
09-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Put mine to the back of the sink behind the taps and then wash them when doing the rest of the washing up, dry them straightaway and put back in the high cupboard.

the mindee are not allowed into the kitchen other than just inside the door to put stuff in the bin or for supervised cooking (oven watching!), but i take the precautions anyway.

Just got a kiddiwash station so dont have mindees in the kitchen to wash hands as i only have an upstairs loo so dont want them running up and down the stairs all the time to wash hands or clambering up to reach the kitchen sink.

I love the idea of a kiddiwash station as have the same problem with you regarding upstairs bathroom. Only downside is the cost, did you manage to get it any cheaper than the £151.58 on their website?

Thanks