PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound about right? Safeguarding.

venus89
08-11-2010, 11:27 AM
I have my gateway review this afternoon and am convinced that the actor interview will probably be a scenario involving another childminder asking me for advice as they think a child in their care is being abused.... I could be wrong but, off the top of my head, I would say something along the lines of.....

If you think a child in your care is being abused then the first step would be to record factually what has led you to believe that. This can be physical things like bruises or changes in behaviour, or things they've said. (can I ask why they suspect abuse? My gut istinct is that I shouldn't. Keep this record of concern in a locked place.

You can ask the NCMA confidentially for advice.

If you don't think it's the parents, talk to them - they may be able to explain things or they may have concerns of their own they might want to talk to you about.

If you think it's the parents then you can go the the safeguarding children's board, who will look at your record of concerns and talk to you. Don't ask the child any leading questions about it, even if there's a disclosure.

Um....... I have to fill 20 minutes!!!

mama2three
08-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Talk very slowly!:laughing:
Everything you have said is great , I agree you should not ask specifics , that is confidential info that the cm shouldnt be sharing with you.

Maybe you could ask her about her safeguarding policy ,and the little green leaflet, or offer to share yours - then talk her through what that means in a practical sense?
Finally check she is ok herself. She will need support and is likely to be upset. Check she has someone she can be supported by , or offer yours - a shoulder to cry on or someone to rant at! Tell her how lucky her mindee is to have a safe haven in her care.

Not sure any of that is any good - but theyre my first thoughts.

Good Luck x

grindal
08-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Dont forget there are 4 different areas of abuse, physical, emotional, sexual and neglect. Start by making sure you and they are clear about the different definitions and what sort of thing they should be looking out for.

You will then follow a slightly different route for each of the different areas. Remember you can also ask Ofsted and your local Social Services for advice or action if required.

Dating and logging is the most important thing to do - I also remember the lady who ran my course stressing how important it was to record in pen not pencil!

Good Luck

mama2three
09-11-2010, 08:23 AM
How did it go? I bet you were great:) did you have the safeguarding scenario?