PDA

View Full Version : Meals??

clio0602
05-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Hi just wondering if you provide meals do you give them options?

I am starting to provide food for afterschoolies from nxt wk and don't want to make 5 diff meals :(

I was thinking if having eg baked potatoes with cheese or beans but with things like lasagne or stew there isn't really much option is there lol Should I make them something else if they don't eat it? And for breakfast do you offer cereal and toast/muffins/bagels or just one or the other?

Sorry I offered now but she was bringing in frozen food and it was a pain having to do theirs seperately.

Any advice for Mon thank you x

SaijaM
05-11-2010, 12:17 PM
I don't offer any choices, they eat what I have to offer and so far all happy :) .. well, I have only babies though :)
But even in the future when I have older ones, I will just have a weekly menu for them, and I'll decide what's on it.. will of course make amendments if they have special dietary needs etc..

xx

blue bear
05-11-2010, 12:19 PM
I just make what ever I fancy and is doable, I tend to make big batches nad freeze or use the slow cooker so I'm nt stuck at the cooker.

I've found the children generally just tuck in but if I know there is something they really don't I wouldn't force them to eat it but you can't please everyone all of the time and I certainly wouldn't be making individual meals.

Try putting together a menu sample with the children covering two weeks so the all get to put down their favourite, keep it simple and doable if you try to do too much you'll resent doing it and it wont work long term. Also if you don't want to do it say so, I would only heat things in the microwave from home not cook frozen items in the oven it's not cost effective.

Breakfast is cereal and toast.

clio0602
05-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks I think I wil ask them they're favourites and do on a Fri each wk or get them to make their own pizza chick nuggets etc if they have eaten well the rest of wk.

She is bringing it frozen as her cooker is broken, been 2 months now, and I said don't worry I'll cook it doh

I have a slow cooker so will be great for the winter only prob is the whole house smells of it lol

I think it will be good for my fussy ds 9yrs who eats nothing I give him except his school packed lunch :mad:

Looks like I'm menu planning this wkend

caz3007
05-11-2010, 01:36 PM
I currently do evening meals. We had a long chat about what is liked and not liked and I plan my meals according to what children I have on what days and their likes and dislikes

My core menu consists of

Jacket potato, beans and cheese, shephards pie, spag bol, sausage and mash, sausage casserole, pizzas and garlic bread, chicken curry. Occasionally we have chicken nuggets, chicke pie, fish with chipsp and beans. Friday is the only day its the same and its cheeseburgers and chips (they all love this).

I do have other things that I do cook sometimes, but these are the meals that go down the best.

I write in my diary at the weekend, what I am doing for the week, depending on what I have in, what time I have as I offer flexible care. It also depends if someone has also requested something, which they sometimes do

maisiemog
05-11-2010, 01:47 PM
I dont offer choices as such. I get the older ones to help me plan my menu for the following week so that I know it is something that they will eat. I then cook it and then they eat it or they dont! I dont have the time or the money to be cooking lots of different meals every evening. They wouldnt in a nursery or at school and I doubt their parents would either!