PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an accredited minder???

maisiemog
05-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Is it worth becoming accredited?

I've been asked if I'm interested in it and I'm not sure whether to do it or not.

What does it involve? Is there a lot of paperwork? A lot extra to do on top of what ofsted require? Do the benefits outweigh the work involved?

Happy Bunny
05-11-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm just filling out forms to come accredited.
There doesn't seem to be much more paperwork.

SaijaM
05-11-2010, 12:18 PM
I'm interested in this.. what are the benefits? Sorry, not made much research into this yet...

I shall start now..! But will follow this thread..

xx

Pixie dust
05-11-2010, 12:22 PM
I am an accredited childminder and to be honest there is not a lot more paperwork involved for me. Our area has a list of criteria you have to mantain each year attend x amount of training per year, attend x amount of network meetings, have unanounced visit from DO.

you have to be level 3 qualified and had at least a "Good" from Ofsted too

Pixie dust
05-11-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm interested in this.. what are the benefits? Sorry, not made much research into this yet

You can provide the free education sessions for 3 and 4 year olds like nurseries do.

SaijaM
05-11-2010, 12:28 PM
You can provide the free education sessions for 3 and 4 year olds like nurseries do.

Ok thank you! .. but who will pay you? The government? And at what rate?

blue bear
05-11-2010, 12:31 PM
I have been accredited a while so can't really remember all the paperwork, best asking the networker co-ordinator or development worker in your area for up to date info.

On a daily basis there is no more paperwork as the EYFS has made us all the same. We have to complete 20hours training a year in this area and also we get termly visits from the network co-ordinator one of which is unannounced, we also do an annual review with the co-ordinator.

Being accredited means you can access nursery funding for over 3's, this means filling in 6 forms a year here. Depends which area you are in but the hourly rate paid for the funding sessions can be more or less than your regular hourly rate. here we get paid monthly by direct debit from the county council.

It gives the parents a choice of nursery/preschool or childminder or a combinaation of two. eg prechool 12 hours a week and 3 hours with the childminder. I have had children stay with me entirley for their nursery provision and not attend pre-school at all in the past, most parents choose a combination.

Here you need to be working towards a level 4 nvq to be on accredited but I am sure that varies from county to county.