PDA

View Full Version : Do you all hate Children's Centres?

venus89
04-11-2010, 09:24 PM
I was reading the room 101 thread and found myself agreeing with a lot of the things other people said (no shows when they've said they'll sign contracts, pull up nappies - why, for goodness sakes, on a child who is barely walking?! - common sense risk assessments.... I could go on. Oh, and parents who don't take their shoes off when they come in) but I was surprised so many of you hate the Children's Centres. Mine's brilliant :D

I got involved with them whilst it was being built - joined the Parent Focus Group and demanded a Childminding Group - there was none in our town when I started Childminding - which they've supported me with since then, even though it started off slow. They've welcomed us, invited people in to talk to us, offered support to us and been lovely to the Childminders in general - we have our own board and they've blown up all our business cards and stuck them on....

They welcome me to any group and work in partnership with me towards the care of one of my minded children.They provide resources if we need them, set up the room for the group, and even had a fire drill for me when I asked for one. Oh, and they've given me first refusal of the creche leaders' job when the current creche leader takes maternity leave :D

So I think they're wonderful. But it seems you don't all have the same experience. And talking to some Children's Centre teachers from other centres on my EYPS course, they find Childminders are often resistant to change, to paperwork and so on so are frustrated.

So what's going on? What's going wrong? Why do you hate them so much?

TammyN
04-11-2010, 09:28 PM
i have a similar relationship with my local children's centre to you, we have a really nice group now and they workers do come in and support us some weeks.
it's a real shame that not all are like this tho :(

miffy
04-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Our childminding group linked up with the CC last year and we now meet there fortnightly with all resources provided free.

Staff have been very welcoming so no gripes here.

Miffy xx

Beetlejuice
04-11-2010, 09:29 PM
I think the problem is that many childminders don't find the children's centres very understanding or welcoming. We have 4 in our immediate vicinity and I have only found one to be accommodating of childminders. It's a shame :( The one that is accommodating I really like and the kids have a great time there. I always praise it to anyone in our area who is wary of childrens centres

smartie
04-11-2010, 09:41 PM
I think it really does depend on your area, the culture within the setting, the Governing Body and the attitude of the Lead Practitioner within each CC. I have had an experience that was so distressing that using words such as bullied and bitched at would not be out of place, leaving me so distressed that I have resigned from group leader, in a group which I have co-run for 3 years and single handed run for the last two, which I have loved and nurtured and actually changed the venue from the community centre to the CC. However, in the next setting (next town) who has a different governing body, they actually set up a group with their staff setting the activities up and clearing away. The setting is both valued and values us in equal measure.

So those with good CC's - make sure you show your appreciation - and those who have less than good service - VOTE WITH YOUR FEET!

Helen Dempster
04-11-2010, 10:43 PM
My local Children's Centre is brilliant, never had a problem with them and go regularly twice a week for stay & play, and messy mayhem. They always make me feel welcome and involved, even when I tell them I'm a childminder :clapping:

michellethegooner
04-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Ours don't make it easy to access, not many childminder groups and the one or two that do run clash with another group that we have attended for yrs :angry: even then they are hard to access, no parking all control zones etc so if like me you have 3 small ones with a heavy double/triple it takes a huge effort just to get to it,

IndigoMoon
05-11-2010, 06:56 AM
I thought ours was going to be brilliant.

Whilst it was being built one of the people from it came out to ask people in the toddler groups etc what they wanted from it and got us all to sign up. I voiced my concerns that childminders were getting a raw deal in other parts of the country and was worried the same would happen here and was told that it wouldn't be a problem and that childminders would be welcomed with open arms to stay and play sessions etc.

As soon as it was built and before it even opened there was a complete turnaround and I was told in no uncertain terms that childminders would not be allowed to come to the stay and play sessions and that there would be special sessions for CMs once a month for a couple of hours. So far there has been one and the CC didn't bother to let any CMs know it was on!

They do offer a resource loan which is good.

christine e
05-11-2010, 07:01 AM
Mine is great. Hold a childminders support meeting there every two weeks, can go to all the appropriate other events, support from PVI teacher and can book in and use sensory room - no complaints from me

Cx

mushpea
05-11-2010, 07:05 AM
I was on the focus group for ours when it was starting up and they seem to listen to our ideas and were even willing to try and to some groups for juinor school age children as there is a lack of things for that age in our area,when it first started they did do one activity but that was it,, then me and a friend were asked to run the toddler group which we did but each week we went a little more of the running of the group was taken away from us untill we were kind of pushed out, the last term we have been told not to attend other groups as we take up their numbers so we tried to meet half way and say we would take it in turns to take the children each week (there are 9 of us all full most days) but they said No so they only group we now attend is the child minder drop in but even with this they are now asking us to do a post ihat note ob for each child and also a big ob for them to keep,, apparently all the groups need a learning jouney but as we know what we are talking about we have to do ours were as the center does the others,,,, the lady who works in the center is lovley and its not her fault its to do with the funding but i am miffed at how we have been treated as the children miss out,, I dont have the same children each day so now only three of the 9 children on my books get to acces the center.

louised
05-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Mine is also great, we have a formal network meeting once a month with our network co-ordinator and a weekly informal drop-in with just us childminders. We are able to access all resources for free, they provide free training courses for us and organise trips throughout the year

venus89
05-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Wow, there's such a variety going on. Isn't there some body that means that all Children's Centres have to abide by the same rules? Or are they locally guided? Or do you think it really does depend on the staff there and their attitudes towards Childminders?

Chatterbox Childcare
05-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Like mine - helpful and accomodating

I did get involved to understand how it worked as I was a sceptic before

Pipsqueak
05-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Wow, there's such a variety going on. Isn't there some body that means that all Children's Centres have to abide by the same rules? Or are they locally guided? Or do you think it really does depend on the staff there and their attitudes towards Childminders?

Locally guided and agendas. VERY much depends on staff and attitudes.
The manager of the CC has NO formal experience or training for under 8's - does not understand the EYFS and believes it does not apply to him.
The EYP's there - well I have explained that in my room 101 thread.
There is one EYP and the CDO who I get on well with there. Even the family support worker is very up herself. They all have this holier than thou attitude. heavens knows what they are like towards the families that do access the centre.

venus89
05-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Locally guided and agendas. VERY much depends on staff and attitudes.
The manager of the CC has NO formal experience or training for under 8's - does not understand the EYFS and believes it does not apply to him.
The EYP's there - well I have explained that in my room 101 thread.
There is one EYP and the CDO who I get on well with there. Even the family support worker is very up herself. They all have this holier than thou attitude. heavens knows what they are like towards the families that do access the centre.

I think that's awful, Pip. You'd think they'd be people/children/family oriented to want to, or be allowed to, work in a place like that in the first place..... As you say, it raises questions about how they deal with families in need of their help and support, but not their judgement.....

rickysmiths
05-11-2010, 01:30 PM
I was reading the room 101 thread and found myself agreeing with a lot of the things other people said (no shows when they've said they'll sign contracts, pull up nappies - why, for goodness sakes, on a child who is barely walking?! - common sense risk assessments.... I could go on. Oh, and parents who don't take their shoes off when they come in) but I was surprised so many of you hate the Children's Centres. Mine's brilliant :D

I got involved with them whilst it was being built - joined the Parent Focus Group and demanded a Childminding Group - there was none in our town when I started Childminding - which they've supported me with since then, even though it started off slow. They've welcomed us, invited people in to talk to us, offered support to us and been lovely to the Childminders in general - we have our own board and they've blown up all our business cards and stuck them on....

They welcome me to any group and work in partnership with me towards the care of one of my minded children.They provide resources if we need them, set up the room for the group, and even had a fire drill for me when I asked for one. Oh, and they've given me first refusal of the creche leaders' job when the current creche leader takes maternity leave :D

So I think they're wonderful. But it seems you don't all have the same experience. And talking to some Children's Centre teachers from other centres on my EYPS course, they find Childminders are often resistant to change, to paperwork and so on so are frustrated.

So what's going on? What's going wrong? Why do you hate them so much?

WoW lucky you. Our Childrens Centre had brochures for all the local PRIVATELY :eek: run Day Nurseries but will not advertise us because we run our own businesses. Well how does that work!!!! As for a board about childminders :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

venus89
05-11-2010, 01:57 PM
I wish that we could attend a mixed group of parents and childminders to show what we do and how happy the children in our care are but its not allowed:(

That's a really good point - it's good for parents to see us out and about with happy, well behaved children, to see how we interact with them and so on. It can't do the 'babysitter' image any good if they never see you going to any groups with your mindees......

singingcactus
05-11-2010, 02:46 PM
My local one where I was before was amazing. They were there to help all the children no matter what the need. Absolutely fantastic.
There isn't one local to me now :( so can't comment on what is available in this area.

Shar
05-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Here in Sutton us childminders have been sent a letter this week telling us that we are no longer allowed to use any other sessions apart from the childminder drop in's. I have voted with my feet. It seems working class people are not welcome.

venus89
05-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Here in Sutton us childminders have been sent a letter this week telling us that we are no longer allowed to use any other sessions apart from the childminder drop in's. I have voted with my feet. It seems working class people are not welcome.

But can't they see that if we didn't do our job, then instead one one adult taking three children it, it might be three mums taking their own children in - you'd have more people in the room..... I assume their issue is the fact that we go in with several children at a time?

catswhiskers
07-11-2010, 04:13 PM
I've already mentioned something on another thread but repeating it here.

I've been going to my local CC on a Wednesday every week for a year now (childminder drop-in). A few weeks ago they told us it was getting too busy so split us into two groups and we go alternate weeks.

I last went the Wednesday before half-term, then missed the half-term week and so turned up Wednesday just gone thinking it was my 'turn'.

Started going in and could only see one childminder in the outside space who I knew was in the other group. Manager came out and told me it wasn't my week and I couldn't come in!

I'd walked uphill with a double buggy (18 mth and 2 yr old) and a nearly 4 year old walking and she moans all the way even though it's just over 10 minutes.

I asked if could come in as a one-off but Manager was adamant no.

Later found out there were only 4 or 5 childminders there so felt (and still feel) really let down.

The manager is usually friendly and they do set up lots of activities indoors and out but I just feel I couldn't face going next week as will feel not welcome!

There's not much else going on on a Wednesday round here and I don't have use of my car (husband uses it) so everything has to be local.

Andrea08
07-11-2010, 04:23 PM
wow that last post was out of order hun

it all depends on the CC and its staff mine are c**p
and i dont bother going because i can only use the cafe and only if the public isnt using it ... its a joke and does not follow the rule book on what CC should be doing with PVI sector...

loocyloo
07-11-2010, 06:59 PM
our childrens centre is just an office and they do 'outreach' from there. when it was being set up the people in charge came to visit out childminding group and were really interested and positive and helpful ....

a year on and we actually have 2 people ( at least! ) running the centre ...

they came to toddlers and wanted us all to sign in with childrens details etc, us childminders said we would happily give OUR names and contact details, but only the childrens first names. she wasn't happy about that! then she wanted us to fill out forms all about the children & their families so she knew what her 'market' was. again, we couldn't/wouldn't. so she said we had to take the forms home for the childrens parents to fill in and return. ( but didn't actually say WHERE to return them to, and neither does it on the form! ;) ) we asked if we could fill a form in /give her our contact details so she could let us know what was going on and she said she didn't need them, as her brief is to work with parents and children! we pointed out that the children would be with us, as the parents were at work and her reply was that the parents could tell us what they wanted us to go to :eek:

there were at least 8 childminders at this toddler group and she barely spoke to us! ( and we weren't all together in a group! ) she did say she didn't know that there was a childminding group in the village or that there were many childminders around. ( all she needed to do was to look on FIS ! there are about 25 at least! )

on the other hand, a mindee of mine is attending speech therapy which is held at a CC about 10 miles away, and the staff there are great! (but as i'm out of 'catchment' i can't actually attend any of the sessions they run!)