PDA

View Full Version : potty training question

newandlearning
04-11-2010, 01:56 PM
hi everyone...

am just wondering one of the mindees I have is 3 yo and got potty trained over the summer however he's absolutely no idea how to pull his pants up or my jeans after going to the toilet.. he completely disrobes himself and stays in the toilet until I come and help him... I've tried to explain to him how to get dressed again but I get the idea his mum does all of this for him at home and so he's no incentive to get himself ready... I've only got him a day and a half...

would you just say 'oh well' and get him redressed again? or suggest to mum it would be good for him to start doing this? or just accept he's not interested so not point pursueing at the moment? I've been asked to support his potty training and to me getting dressed after peeing etc is part of that 'training' so to speak.. I dunno...

any other thoughts would be great :)

minkzebell
04-11-2010, 02:06 PM
I don't mean to sound negative, but unless the mum is going to do this at home, it is going to take a lot of work to get him to do it at your house, as he is only with you 1 and a half days.... you need to decide if it is worth it?

little chickee
04-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Even though you only have him 1 1/2 days i would still try to work on his getting himself dressed.

show him to put pants and trousers round his ankles and not completly off and then encourage him to pull up again with lots of praise and a little assisstance.

If he is reliably toilet trained i agree with you that this is the next step as he will more than likely have to do this all himself when he goes to nursery.

breezy
04-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Even though you only have him 1 1/2 days i would still try to work on his getting himself dressed.

show him to put pants and trousers round his ankles and not completly off and then encourage him to pull up again with lots of praise and a little assisstance.

If he is reliably toilet trained i agree with you that this is the next step as he will more than likely have to do this all himself when he goes to nursery.

Thats what I would do and ask mum to support you on this doing it at home, maybe start with easy trousers like elasticated waist ones to start .

gigglinggoblin
04-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I would help him to put his trousers back on, show him how to lay them out on the floor so he can get back in them easily, ask mum to not send him in jeans (even I struggle with toddler jeans they can be really tight!) and get some dressing up stuff out so he is practicing while he is playing. If you make a big fuss of him for acheiving then he will probably tell mum he wants to do it himself.