PDA

View Full Version : Dinner issues, what to do?

crazyhazy
04-11-2010, 07:37 AM
I have a mindee who's nearly 4, the hours are all over the place due to the nature of her mums work but generally I have her at least once a week for dinner. If she's here for breakfast/lunch it's not too bad, she is very slow to eat but generally can be persuaded to eat a reasonable amount, although it tends to be finger things like toast, sandwich, fruit etc. At dinner time though it is becoming a nightmare, my eldest is the same age and the little one just turned 2 and they are starting to pick up her bad habits. Basically she pretty much either eats very little and declares she doesn't like it or eats nothing at all :( I thought I had it sussed a few weeks ago that she just wasn't good with cutlery or lazy with it cos I made chicken wraps and she ate it all, so made the same last night and back to square one with I don't like it after a mouthful or two. In the end I left her to it, just told her she had to sit at the table till the others were finished and she did actually eat some more in the end but I'm not sure what the right approach is?

Talking to mum is pointless, when I told her last week she'd ate nothing the reply I got was, it's ok she can have some cheese, yoghurts and doritos when we get home :panic: She seems unable to tell me what she actually likes, just comments she doesn't eat for her at home either, mindee is also unable to tell what she likes, just says yes to everything.

miffy
04-11-2010, 07:46 AM
I'd make sure there is at least one thing on her plate she likes, give her only a small portion (some kids are put off by having a lot of food on their plate) and leave her to it.

If she doesn't eat it after a reasonable time then remove it. I would offer fruit but nothing else if the meal was uneaten.

Miffy xx

Tink
04-11-2010, 07:46 AM
I have a lo aged 3 who is exactly the same, it takes her at least an hour and a half to eat a sandwich but I am so scared she is not eating that I let her sit there until she eats it.
We have tried lots of different things for her lunch but Mum says there is nothing she likes. Her sister will not eat fruit, veg or meat and she is going the same way. Mum just feeds her on tinned spaghetti.
My Lo 2 has stated saying I don't like this now also but I know she does they copy everything.
I have spoken to mum about visiting the Dr's if this persists and she agreed so we will see what happens.

sarah707
04-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Give her small portions (a bit of everything the other children are offered) and let her eat for a comfortable length of time.

Then very gently explain that main meal time is over now and the food is cold.

Take her plate away and offer fruit or milky pudding.

She is being offered sufficient food and you are taking the pressure away from meal times.

Hth :D

breezy
04-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Two choices here, apart from genuine dislikes you take it or leave it!