PDA

View Full Version : Feel like im being a pushover

Fabby
03-11-2010, 12:35 PM
I feel like i am being a right pushover just lately. One Parent TELLING me they are going be late, another parent texting me to see if its ok they can be late because they want to go and sign some papers for new house (one reason agmost mnay in the last few weeks) and another turning up whenever they want to pick up their child - which is anytime between 4.30 - 5.45pm depending on if they can be bothered to pick their child up first before picking up their other half from work. Paying me when it is convienent to them.
It is really starting to P*** me off big time. A few weeks ago i just thought i will just put up with it because dont want to loose them before i finish for maternity but now im loosing my patients!!!!!!!!!

I think i am loosing my patients because i am not usually like this and wouldn't usually let anyone walk all over me!!

Rant over .... sorry

Straws
03-11-2010, 01:06 PM
I know the feeling, I had one parent turn up monday saying he cant pay me till friday, Like he'd just accept that if his boss said it to him. I'm ready to tell him bog off on friday if he hasnt paid up I can't be doing with it any more gonna grow a pair:)

Straws xx

Fabby
03-11-2010, 01:13 PM
One of these times though i am going end up loosing my rag and let rip with them - I can always blame the hormones lol x

Penny1959
03-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Best thing to do if feeling like this - is to give notice.

Assuming that you have tried talking to them - without sucess - then most likely will always try to walk over you.

However with your maternity leave coming up - it will be a good time to reflect on parent issues and when you return to childminding start as you mean to go on - your business - your terms and conditions.

Good luck - know it is not easy to give notice

Penny:)

Happy Bunny
03-11-2010, 01:21 PM
As the saying goes - Give them an inch and they will take a mile.

Fabby
03-11-2010, 01:28 PM
As the saying goes - Give them an inch and they will take a mile.

EXACTLY. Do it once and they think it is ok.

One thing i have learned is that when i do start back there wont be ANY of this. The only reason i am 'putting up with it' is because i am finishing mid january for maternity leave.

Its my fault, because i let them do it once or twice and now its what they expect from me and its gone too far for me to say something. I just want keep the peace because i want my wages up to my maternity leave.

Happy Bunny
03-11-2010, 01:35 PM
EXACTLY. Do it once and they think it is ok.

One thing i have learned is that when i do start back there wont be ANY of this. The only reason i am 'putting up with it' is because i am finishing mid january for maternity leave.

Its my fault, because i let them do it once or twice and now its what they expect from me and its gone too far for me to say something. I just want keep the peace because i want my wages up to my maternity leave.

I have one parent that is like this, so i speak from experience. I have now got to the point where her saying sorry or "miscommunication on my part lol" just doesn't wash no more.
I have now written a comprehensive welcome pack stating my 'requests' from them and a full list of policies of which they have a copy and are made to sign.
I can understand the money part as i am waiting til after xmas to give her notice.
It wears you down and just being accepting of the situation puts a dampner on the enjoyment of my job.
I have now put a business head on.

little chickee
03-11-2010, 01:36 PM
How about issuing a newsletter? State clearly what your rules are.

Are their collection times fixed or do you allow them to be flexible? The one who is collecting when she pleases - what is her contracted collection time? Advise that they need to stick to their contracted time - if thet are late you will charge a late fee.

Payments MUST be made on time - again a late fee WILL be charged. (I have just carried this out for the first time will my serial late payer - i've only charged her late fees once and she now pays on time every week!)

They must drop off on time as this affects your plans for the day. You require 24 hours notice if they plan to be late. If they do not give this notice they run the risk of you going out.

Stick firmly to this and they will learn that you are running a professional business and are not a casual drop in centre.

I am all for being flexible when i can but as this is now causing you greif its time to get serious!!

Fabby
03-11-2010, 01:54 PM
How about issuing a newsletter? State clearly what your rules are.

Are their collection times fixed or do you allow them to be flexible? The one who is collecting when she pleases - what is her contracted collection time? Advise that they need to stick to their contracted time - if thet are late you will charge a late fee.

Payments MUST be made on time - again a late fee WILL be charged. (I have just carried this out for the first time will my serial late payer - i've only charged her late fees once and she now pays on time every week!)

They must drop off on time as this affects your plans for the day. You require 24 hours notice if they plan to be late. If they do not give this notice they run the risk of you going out.

Stick firmly to this and they will learn that you are running a professional business and are not a casual drop in centre.

I am all for being flexible when i can but as this is now causing you greif its time to get serious!!

Thanks for your advice! x