PDA

View Full Version : mindee wont talk to me

TRACEY1969
03-11-2010, 11:04 AM
I have had this mindee since he was 7 months old and now he is 2 1/2 years. I do all the flash cards with him sing songs, take him to play groups ect. but he doesn't seem to bond with me. I am trying to get him to talk to me getting down on his level smiling and teaching him words like please, thank you and tar but he wont say them, instead he smacks his face and walks away. I have had words with mom about this and she says he talks at home but mostly mumbles alot. The health visitor has paid them a visit and speach theorphy had been suggested. he did go twice and said to come back in April. If he speaks to his mom and dad (or does he?) why not me. What can i do to interact with him. He now snatches drinks out of my hand because i do ask him to say tar or please but he wont. Everything i do is recorded and dated for parents and health visitor to see.

When he plays with the toys he will talk to them and some words you can make out, but doing one to one with him he doesn't want to talk. He plays by himself alot and doens't mix with other children and sharing toys is now a problem.

minkzebell
03-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Have you thought that maybe he is on the autism spectrum, does he give any eye contact with you or others?

TRACEY1969
03-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Have you thought that maybe he is on the autism spectrum, does he give any eye contact with you or others?

we have talked about this and he was checked out by the doctor, it's just me he wont talk to. I feel like a failure, i have given him loads of one to one but sometime he just walks off and isn't interested. The only word he says is bye to me when his dad picks him up and then he has a big smile on his face. When he comes to my setting theres no tears or anything he settles in very well, but no talking. If i leave him to play he mumbles on and says the odd word to himself but not to me when i talk to him. When we sit down in a circle and sing songs he just walks off and is'nt interested. What can i do?

Carpet Monkeys
03-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Hi There

Does he talk to family members and close friends of family etc?

My son has Selective Mutism, which means he finds it very difficult to talk in certain social circumstances, like at school, perhaps its something along those lines - just a thought!

jaja
03-11-2010, 04:04 PM
i have a similar thing except she decided not to talk to me, but will talk to my mum, nana, friends but not at toddler group yet yesterday we went to christmas land and she spoke to everyone she saw, and yet today quiet as a mouse until late morning then she was never quiet, shes been with me since sshe was 7 moinths and is now 22 months, i know how hard it is, some days she will talk after snack time around 11 other days not a word and then yesterday she talked all day long, arnt kids funny lol xxxxx

Penny1959
03-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Have you tried some simple signing with this little boy - it can help whatever the reason that he does not talk to you.

I would not put any pressure on him to join in or to talk - just take his lead.

I had one who want not talk but who would sign - he made up his own signs for somethings - and we all used those signs.

If he is not happy to sign with his hands he may respond to pointing to cards (like the ones on a visual timetable) you could add cards for things like Please and thank you.

May not work but might be worth a try.

Penny :)

Katiekoo
03-11-2010, 06:07 PM
I agree signing is brilliant for this kind of situation. Take a look at the sing and sign website, there are classes all over the country (maybe parents would pay?) and online resources and shop - singandsign.co -
There are other signing classes but I think sing and sign is just great.
:)