PDA

View Full Version : be kind or be businesswoman?

buzzy bee
03-11-2010, 08:51 AM
one of my mums has asked me to swap 2 sessions next week -- i usually have LO 2 mornings and nanny has him 2 afternoons but next week nanny's having an op so she's asked if i#ll have him 1 full day and not at all the next day.

should i say yes but i still need to charge for the morning i don't have him (plus the afternoon) or should i just be kind and swap them given the circumstances?

it will be nice for me to have a day off too!!

Rain or Shine
03-11-2010, 09:07 AM
I guess this depends on how you want to be seen.....

I would want to seem caring and understanding without being a push over. Being approachable is a very good quiality when working with children and yes there are lots of parents who want to take the mick but then there are also genuin ones.

But on the other hand you have contracts in place and policies and they all state that you pay for your contracted hours whether used or not and any additional!

It really does depend on the person!

LittleStar's
03-11-2010, 09:11 AM
I would say yes, like you say it will give you a day off without losing any money, but I would say to her due to the circumstances I will do this as a one off, that way she knows you wont do it on a regular basis xxx

Playmate
03-11-2010, 09:24 AM
If you can do it then do :D Mick and I pride ourselves on running a professional business, but we are in the business of care. Today is my college day (and I should be studying at the moment :blush: ) Mick mormally only has 2 under 5 on his own. We received a call on Monday from one of our parents who is a teacher, saying that ofsted were coming Wednesday and Thursday and as dep head she can't just take her normal day off which is Wednesday. In order to accommodate her 2 children we have had to get another CM to work with Mick this afternoon to cover our ratios. We have done it because we care and because we know she would fall over backwards to accommodate any changes in our circumstances. We consider this to be a good professional relationship.

FussyElmo
03-11-2010, 09:45 AM
I would swap the days for her and not charge her the morning session. There are some parents who do take the mick but in this instance I wouldnt hesitate to swap. Plus you are getting a day off:thumbsup:

snufflepuff
03-11-2010, 09:56 AM
I'd just swap it, given the circumstances. Many parents choose childminders because they know we can be fairly flexible so I like to be able to help out when needed.

I have a parent who swaps days, and it's getting a bit silly. I know if i needed the same in return she wouldn't be willing to help me out. And sometimes she doesn't ask as such, just sort of tells me at the last minute that she needs to swap, and is most put out if i say i cant do it! So i have been thinking of putting something in the next newsletter about it- maybe something along the lines of needing a weeks notice for swaps, and if i have less than a weeks notice i'll need to charge half fee for the original contracted day and of course full fee for the day they actually attend.
Of course if it's just a one off and i can do it i dont mind at all.

hollyoaksmad
03-11-2010, 09:58 AM
always be business woman :) iv learnt this lesson this week x

buzzy bee
03-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a pushover.

But she is fab and isn't one of those who would take the mick. She always asks for her invoice and pays on time, picks up on time (sometimes early!) and texts me apologising if she's even running 5 mins late (just for dropping off) etc etc!!

And this is a genuine reason.

So I'll be kind :D

Chatterbox Childcare
03-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Just because you are a businesswoman doesn't mean you will be seen as less because you are flexible.

I would change the days at no charge

~Chelle~
03-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Just because you are a businesswoman doesn't mean you will be seen as less because you are flexible.

I would change the days at no charge

Same here.

I have a little girl who's mum is as flexible with me as I am with her, she swaps some times and if I have am unable to have her daughter, she lets me swap as she has the back up of her mum, who has the little girl on Fridays.

She always pays on time and the LO is no trouble at all.

caz3007
03-11-2010, 10:32 AM
As you have said she is a good parent, I would do it without extra charge and enjoy the day off. I am flexible with my parents and dont charge and am willing to swap if I am able. I must admit I have good parents that appreciate me doing this for them and they are also flexible with me if I need it too

Chimps Childminding
03-11-2010, 08:30 PM
I would also swap. especially if you gain a day off out of it!!! but try and make it clear that its a "one off" so she doesn't expect to be able to do it all the time!!

I agree that although we should be business like, there is also the ability for us to be more flexible than nurseries and if you help out this time, if there ever comes a time you need to swap days around I am sure mum would be more willing!!

nokidshere
04-11-2010, 10:01 AM
I try and be as flexible as possible with my parents. If I wasn't going to be out of pocket I would simply swap the day over and enjoy my day off.

It does pay off though. I want to attend my sons first secondary school parents consultations next wednesday and its in the afternoon. I generally have 7 families after school and they all said yes without question when I asked if they would be ok with me taking the afternoon off - and they are still paying me :D