PDA

View Full Version : tax credits & payments

VINASOL
02-11-2010, 07:22 PM
hi
FINALLY BACK ON LINE!
Had a parent come for a visit today for her DD. She has nver claimed tax creidts before and it's been a long time sinc eI ever have.

Can someone remind me of how long it can possibly take?

She's mentioned that she can't pay upfront (i.e. month in advance) so I've told her that I'm happy for her to pay weekly in cash (in advance) but if there's no money, they'll be no childcare. Is this reasonable?

Anyways, hoping someon can help. thanksx

FussyElmo
02-11-2010, 07:37 PM
To me that would be fine - as long as she pays you in advance.

I can quite understand how hard it must be for someone to find a months payment in advance - I know I woulnt be able to do it :thumbsup:

Mcgons
02-11-2010, 08:58 PM
I've just had a parent doing a new claim due to change in circumstances so she had to fill in new forms not just change details over the phone and it took 3/4 weeks, but that was due to several errors on tax credits part. The parent ended up going to the local tax credit office and making sure they had no errors, and payment was sorted in 2 days.

If your mum can get to a tax office, it may speed it up?

Erika
02-11-2010, 09:24 PM
It can take weeks or it can take months for a claim to be awarded these days. As they refuse to provide official timescales, it's a nightmare. Childcare costs are considered "high value payments" and there is a lot of compliance activity going on with tax credits at the moment, which are delaying claims.

She can submit a claim for childcare costs up to 7 days before the day the child is due to start.

If her claim is delayed and she gets nowhere on the helpline, she should ask about getting an appointment at the local revenue office for an interim payment for childcare costs.

There is a scheme being piloted in some London districts at the moment for upfront childcare costs for lone parents moving from benefits into work - not much information available on it though. It's called the "Upfront Childcare Fund". When pilots like these are completed, a report is normally compiled where they consider whether the pilot scheme was beneficial and whether it should be rolled out nationally. Fingers crossed that it happens - waiting for a tax credit award with current delays in claims processing is a real barrier to work for some people, and a thorn in the side for childminders. It was started under Labour so don't know if the Tories will approve of it!