PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this suggestion?

em29
01-11-2010, 09:09 PM
I had my DO out last week to review my work in prep for my ofsted and she was suggesting ways in which to make role play more real...
I said that in the play kitchen we use pasta, whisks, real spoons etc She said that really i should fill the cupboards with real food stuff and real fruit an veg as a norm...
Then when discussion turned to a work bench i have - she asked if all i had was plastic tools because they could really use a small hammer, some chunky nails, screwdrivers and do some screwing and hammering into ply wood etc. My kids are 2 and under :eek:
She said this was fine as i would be supervising them. I know that within 3 mins flat one will have dropped a hammer on his toe, one would be eating a screwdriver and the other putting screws up his nose. It is hard enough supervising my zoo as it is let alone giving them tools as well....
I took the advice with a pinch of salt...

sweets
01-11-2010, 09:14 PM
omg! maybe for children 4-5 and over but definatley not 2 year olds :eek:

silly woman :panic:

Lady Haha
01-11-2010, 09:14 PM
:eek: I'm shocked!!!! A hammer and chunky nails????? Oh and we've all got loads of extra money to buy real fruit and veg (and keep replacing it) to use as toys!

Not sure what anyone else thinks, but I think she's gone mad!

karensmart4
01-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Some people live in fantasy land!!!!

Every so called professional that I come into contact with lately tells me to do the opposite of the others!!

I was given some advise by a nursery school leader, she said whatever they tell you do do, nod then do what YOU are happy with.

Do you think she has ever looked after a group of pre-schoolers herself??

sarah707
01-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Hmmm interesting advice! :rolleyes: :D

The Juggler
01-11-2010, 09:30 PM
:eek: I'm shocked!!!! A hammer and chunky nails????? Oh and we've all got loads of extra money to buy real fruit and veg (and keep replacing it) to use as toys!

Not sure what anyone else thinks, but I think she's gone mad!

I know that lots of approaches to early years do this now but in group settings not in a CM environment. Maybe as a structured activity outdoors when you can supervise closely. But in your home!!!! never. My coffee table is bashed enough by the smallword and plastic hammers never mind a real one.:laughing: :laughing:

the fab nurseries that are aroudn do use real tins of food, packets but if they want to see real, they can just come look in my kitchen cupboards. I use empties as much as i can but I draw the line....

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
01-11-2010, 09:32 PM
I dont see what the problem is i always let my 2 yr old play with the power drill:rolleyes:

Playmate
01-11-2010, 09:45 PM
I know that lots of approaches to early years do this now but in group settings not in a CM environment. Maybe as a structured activity outdoors when you can supervise closely. But in your home!!!! never. My coffee table is bashed enough by the smallword and plastic hammers never mind a real one.:laughing: :laughing:

the fab nurseries that are aroudn do use real tins of food, packets but if they want to see real, they can just come look in my kitchen cupboards. I use empties as much as i can but I draw the line....

mmm great ideas for group settings :D I assume your DO has never been a CM then? :rolleyes:

miffy
01-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Then when discussion turned to a work bench i have - she asked if all i had was plastic tools because they could really use a small hammer, some chunky nails, screwdrivers and do some screwing and hammering into ply wood etc. My kids are 2 and under :eek:

Just think of the risk assessments! :panic: :laughing:

Miffy xx

Twinkles
01-11-2010, 10:02 PM
good plan :rolleyes:

While you're at it get your under two's to write the risk assessment and send them on a first aid course for when it all goes horribly wrong !!

Don't know about your D.O not having been a childminder , has she ever actually looked after children - ever ??

Pipsqueak
01-11-2010, 10:37 PM
I had my DO out last week to review my work in prep for my ofsted and she was suggesting ways in which to make role play more real...
I said that in the play kitchen we use pasta, whisks, real spoons etc She said that really i should fill the cupboards with real food stuff and real fruit an veg as a norm...
She said this was fine as i would be supervising them. I know that within 3 mins flat one will have dropped a hammer on his toe, one would be eating a screwdriver and the other putting screws up his nose. It is hard enough supervising my zoo as it is let alone giving them tools as well....
I took the advice with a pinch of salt...

oh I think thats FAB advice..................................:clapping: :clapping: you could then PROPERLY role play teaching them first aid, calling an ambulance and A&E treatment, not to mention getting their writing skills up to speed in showing them how to fill in all the following paperwork and dealing with Ofsted. What a CLEVER do(h???) to have thought out such extensive REAL role play.

I can see that under very controlled situations with OLDER children that it would be perhaps an exciting foray.

As for filling the cupboards with REAL food - well we don't actually need to do that much role play as we do plenty of the REAL thing - cooking, baking, shopping etc. The stuff that is in the playhouses/kitchens etc are there to supplement the concrete REAL skills we do every day.

Piff

rickysmiths
01-11-2010, 11:11 PM
What great advise I think, as we are supposed to have good weather tomorrow, ill have them out with the new electric hedge trimmer. The hedge is looking a bit shaggy. Do you think I should let them climb the step ladder to reach the top? Or should I do that bit? I have a 2yr old, a 4yr old, 8mth old and after school a 6yr old. :laughing: :laughing:

em29
02-11-2010, 06:13 AM
HAha - wonderful replies :laughing:
Not just me then!!! Actually the DO was a childminder for many years...as she kept telling me by bringing her learning journey along. Funnily enough I never saw any pics of under 2's with hammers and nails though!
The reason they make plastic tools is because real ones are not safe maybe :rolleyes:

And I am not prepared to use real fruit and veg at their age either (older is fine), because they will chew it all, spit it out and walk in it. NOT good advice.She is a lovely lady though but it just highlighted to me how we are expected to compete with nurseries and preschools when the home environment is very different.

Alibali
02-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Are children not allowed to use their imaginations any more? Has to be real as they couldnt pretend?! Ludicrous, as for the food, we use the real thing with them all the time in cooking activities.

Mouse
02-11-2010, 09:11 AM
I wonder if there's been some new training out that suggests using real tools etc? Our nursrey has started doing it - real appliances such as old laptops, phones etc and screwdrivers all set out. My own kids have used screwdrivers & hammers from about the age of 5, but that's with me supervising them closely. I wouldn't just leave them out for mindees though.

As for the real food, no way! Think of the mess. My little mindees are forever making me "cups of coffee". Am I supposed to let them use the real thing??

And where does it stop? Should they have the real hoover & iron out when they're playing house? Should they change real babies' nappies when playing mummies & daddies? Actually, I could quite like this idea :laughing:

One of my little mindees is really into play cooking at the moment. He hunts round for buckets & pots to put things in, anything little that he can pretend is ingredients (duplo blocks, cars, crayons, cotton reels) he stirs it all up with a wooden spoon then puts it in the dolls house, which is either his cooker or micriwave, depending on what he's cooking! I love watching him. Why dampen his imagination by giving him real food?

singingcactus
02-11-2010, 09:19 AM
It is in my permissions form - do you give consent for your child to use real DIY tools. Obviously I don't let them play with power tools because that is stupid, but all my kids use tools and wood when we have outside play. They all know how to knock in a nail and use the claw to remove them. They can all turn screws in and out, they can use spanners, and allen keys - we even made a workbench out of an old shelf and pre-drilled different sized holes so the kids can play with different sized screws and bolts.

When I prep the veg in the evenings I keep the outer leaves, stalks and parts of the veg for the kids to cut up - with real knives and scissors too.

I don't think that it is a particularly out there suggestion. I know I am tired and bored of so much plastic in children's lives, and everything so ridiculously bright coloured too. My kids have always loved using the real thing, they learn to use things so much quicker when the things they are using actually work.

As long as you teach the kids to be safe and you ensure they follow the rules (removing them from the activity for the day if they break the rules) then kids are surprisingly intelligent and can handle way more than modern day thinking gives them credit.

Don't knock it till you've tried it :)

Penny1959
02-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Interesting reading all the different posts.

Personally I agree with Singingcatus - that it is good for children to use 'real tools' and there is far too much plastic out there. BUT and a big but - all depends on children's stage of development, number of children at the time and ability to closely supervise, confidence of childminder that can keep children safe - not to mention childrens current interests.

I think the DO's advice was not worded very well and should not have suggested that should be the 'norm' but made as a suggestion as something to try sometime in the future when circumstances were right - and personally I would not try real tools with a group when all were under two - one two year old and older children - maybe age 3 or 4 would be workable - but all 2 year olds - too many risks.

And with regard to real food in play kitchen - personally I would not do this - but do provide everyday opportunities in the real kitchen to prepare and cook veg and when shopping to handle real tins and packets.

However each to our own and I am sure whatever each of us decides is best for out group of mindees it will be based on sound professional judgement of our own idividual situation.

Penny:)

guest2
02-11-2010, 12:43 PM
OMG! I have heard it all now, what planet is she on they get you to lock everything away and put safety gates everywhere then tell you to let the children play with power tools and screwdrivers, hammers etc.

What on earth will it be next matches and fire pits are a good idea probably!!!!

I agree just nod in the appropriate places and then do what you think is best and are happy with because at the end of the day the only people you need to justify your actions with are the families and Ofsted.

Honestly I really do wonder if they have ever worked with children before!

:rolleyes:

Hebs
02-11-2010, 12:56 PM
we were told this too during our intro course

personally i dont have a problem with it, but it's more an outdoor activity

you can get kids toolboxes, my son had one and it was for aged 3+

he can use a drill now and can even make bird houses alone :thumbsup:

Hebs
02-11-2010, 12:57 PM
OMG! I have heard it all now, what planet is she on they get you to lock everything away and put safety gates everywhere then tell you to let the children play with power tools and screwdrivers, hammers etc.

What on earth will it be next matches and fire pits are a good idea probably!!!!

I agree just nod in the appropriate places and then do what you think is best and are happy with because at the end of the day the only people you need to justify your actions with are the families and Ofsted.

Honestly I really do wonder if they have ever worked with children before!

i dont have any safety gates, nor a fire guard :D

ofsted have never said a thing :thumbsup:

guest2
02-11-2010, 01:04 PM
i dont have any safety gates, nor a fire guard :D

ofsted have never said a thing :thumbsup:

Well I don't know about your area but I have had to get fire guards, safety gates, cupboard locks, fridge, freezer and washer locks. Fence off a garden with my ornamental Buddha in it and that's only half the list. I had to do all this before I sent off my application for registration too!!
That's Lancashire for you Safety, Safety, Safety, cotton wool and more Safety thrown in!

Merry-Minder
02-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Fair enough for the older ones - as in much older, after schoolies etc but I think under twos might be pushing it a smidge.
I think it was well said that the children have lots of real life hands on experiences with real shopping, and cooking etc and role play is just that, where imaginations can be developed.

I hope you took it a real pinch if salt btw!!!

manjay
02-11-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm afraid I too am on the side of providing real tools (in the same way that we use real knives) however we do it in a controlled manner. I would never put it out as continuous provision but we often have it as a focus activity. All the children start off with very small but real hammers, golf tees and polystyrene to practice their skills. When they have mastered that they move onto something with more resistance like a pumpkin. Finally they get to have a go at the real thing. I don't think it is reasonable to put these resources out without giving the children instruction but mine all now happily and confidently play with wood, nails and hammers.

Food is a little more difficult. My role play to a certain extent is made up of real items but more along the lines of empty boxes. I hate plastic with a passion and I am trying my utmost to "deplastic" my setting. The children get enough opportunity to handle, cut and prepare fruit and veg on a daily basis so I don't think they are missing out by me not having these items out for role play.

Hebs
02-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Well I don't know about your area but I have had to get fire guards, safety gates, cupboard locks, fridge, freezer and washer locks. Fence off a garden with my ornamental Buddha in it and that's only half the list. I had to do all this before I sent off my application for registration too!!
That's Lancashire for you Safety, Safety, Safety, cotton wool and more Safety thrown in!

well Mrs Ofsted couldnt even put my fire on :laughing: it's so hard to do
I have my garden secure, locks on the kitchen doors, i have a half door on my kitchen to stop the kids from reaching the dogs.
locks on my fridge freezer and chest freezer but no fire guard and no stair gates

x

sillysausage
02-11-2010, 02:31 PM
I think it depends on the children you have and your own personal knowledge of them and their abilities, not only to be able to use the tools but also to understand 'rules'.
Last week I used one of those old fashioned hand drills with a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old to drill through conkers. I held the conker steady, the 4 yr old could do the rest, the 2 yr old needed additional help guiding the drill bit. I have also used hammers and nails with nursery age children and above. My older school age children have in the past used a saw, again with close supervision and appropriate risk assessment
I wouldn't dream of providing this type of activity if my attention was having to be divided between differing age groups at the same time eg. if I had a baby present.

I agree with others on the food score. We have plenty of opportunities for children to engage with real food in food preparation and trips to the shops etc etc. I am not prepared to risk my carpets in order to provide real food as a 'toy'. We have real food in the kitchen and dining room only! Anyway in this age of austerity it is totally wasteful and as Pipsqueak says

The stuff that is in the playhouses/kitchens etc are there to supplement the concrete REAL skills we do every day.

Pipsqueak
02-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Interesting reading all the different posts.

Personally I agree with Singingcatus - that it is good for children to use 'real tools' and there is far too much plastic out there. BUT and a big but - all depends on children's stage of development, number of children at the time and ability to closely supervise, confidence of childminder that can keep children safe - not to mention childrens current interests.

Penny:)

I DO agree with allowing children to use real 'tools' and my older ones built a smashing old fashioned type go-kart a couple of summers back. It was supervised by my hubby, but given the OP's minded childrens ages I think the advice was frankly pants.

I do allow my youngster proper tools in as much knives, forks and not the plastic kind.

Like you say, its down to the abilities, maturity and understanding of the child and the minder being able to adequately supervise.

Its not a new concept at all and children need to be encouraged to explore this type of 'risky' play.

Sledden: you say Well I don't know about your area but I have had to get fire guards, safety gates, cupboard locks, fridge, freezer and washer locks. Fence off a garden with my ornamental Buddha in it and that's only half the list. I had to do all this before I sent off my application for registration too!!

I presume the EY team were advising you on what you had to do pre-reg?
theirs is only advice NOT law - and if you can prove to Ofsted (they are the ones who matter) how and why you do something (or not) a certain way then thats ok.
I don't have fireguards - well I didn't when I had a fireplace - albiet unused but a marble hearth. I only have a stairgate in place at the moment because I have a quick as lightening 18month old in the house. I don;t have cupboard locks on - hubby refused to faff the new units and as for freezer and washer locks - well the children are firmly put in their place if they try to touch these without permission or supervision. Saying that I have never had a child try to get into either.

As to matches and fire pits - yes Play England do actually encourage this sort of controlled play!