PDA

View Full Version : Action for Children/Banning Cameras

smartie
01-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Hi, Is there anybody out there that has a childrens centre who are governed by Action for Children (Charity who used to be called National Childrens Homes). We have recently had a policy imposed by Action for Children that effectively bans us from using our own camera's within a closed childminding group within the childrens centre. We have been asked to sign a form or not attend the groups. I feel that there are lots of issues surrounding this but safeguarding the children from childminders who are trying to evidence the EYFS in quality surroundings is PC gone mad and appears to be there only to protect the organisation. They say that this policy has been implemented because of the Vanessa George incident in Plymouth.

Has anyone encounted this is their area. Would appreciate your comments.

Pipsqueak
01-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Our CC is not governed by this as far as I know, but a while ago we were asked not to use our camera's of camera/phones within the CC. We pointed out that we are a closed group and only ever take pix of our own (minded) children so we can evidence the pictures. A compromise was made and within our own group room we can take pix for the group and individually and we acknowlege it is nothing do with the CC.

One CC in town does not allow photos to be taken at all - yet at their last event the CDO based there was running around thinking she was David Bailey - apparently SHE was allowed as it was for promotion for the CC:rolleyes: . I said I hadn't given my permission for my image nor the children I care for to be taken - again apparently I give my permission by attending:eek: :eek: eerrrr noooooope -made her remove them as did 99% of the other minders.

Carol M
01-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Yep, I have been told that this ruling is coming in!
I don't agree with it in a childminders only group and if I can't take pics of my mindees I will not be attending!
I am pretty disillusioned with CC's.
Carol xx

smartie
01-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Thank you Carol. It seems to me that we are not taken professionally very seriously. They are using this as a Child Protection issue. Surely having been CRB, Ofsted and using best practice that using cameras to evidence the EYFS, it really seems to be bonkers.

Unfortunately I run the group. I dont feel that I can just walk away as I have run this group for years when it was in the local community centre.

I am having my second 'interview' with them, now with the head of the org in my area and also someone within the council Early Years. I am being pushed!!

Hoping someone will come up with something I have not yet thought of. Try to make them see 'sense' (my point of view, LOL!!).

jellybean cc
01-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Could you not have one person who works there already as an official photographer, if you want a picture you ask and they print it off on a pogo printer. That way the childminder/parent gets the photo but the staff can ensure what children are in the picture and are in control

Not sure if it would work but just an idea.

rickysmiths
02-11-2010, 10:06 AM
What is the problem if you have the written permission of your childs parents to take deveopmental photograph evidence.

I would get the parents to write a letter protesting about the issue and saying they require and expect to see photos of ALL the activities their children take part in to be recorded in their LJ.

guest2
02-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Hi

I am registering as a childminder and I have a camera that I will use for my childminding evidnce only!! It is hard enought to gather evidence photographically with parental permissions being required. If I cannot use my camera in the local cc's to evidence activities I have done then I will be looking for other places to go to and WILL NOT use the cc's

OMG I understand the serious incident with Vanessa George but PC STRIKES AGAIN they need to come up with a system that allows us to take photo's appropriately rather than ban cameras. Surely they could check our cameras before we leave the centre's and ask us to delete any photo's that they feel are innapropriate..

:angry:

youarewhatyoueat
02-11-2010, 12:36 PM
I really don't have a problem with not using a camera at cc's or anywhere that is public. I find it just as easy to jot down info on a postit note or write up an observation in a notebook. Perhaps its just me but sometimes getting cameras out in the middle of a group activity can distract children who then start posing!!