PDA

View Full Version : Obs....Child led???

porky1979
01-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Hi, I have some trouble with my obs. I know that we have to do child led obs but mine all seem to be obs from activities i have planned. I just can not seem to get my head around just letting the children play and taking obs from that. I do planning every week for the theme we are doing (i know you do not have to do this for under 3's but I feel that it helps me with ideas and structures my week better).
With child led obs do I just say for instance

Z took the 4 piece puzzle out of the puzzle box and managed to join it together???
Next steps, introduce puzzle with more pieces??

Is that how it works???
I have been doing this for 2 years now and I still can not get to grips with it.

Also, with next steps should I be looking in the EYFS guide for the next age range for ideas, i.e if C can do something in 22-36 months I should look at 30-50 months for the next thing he should be able to do and incorporate it into his interests?? I hope I am making sense here, i just feel like i am going round in circles half the time with no idea if what I am doing is right or wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks :(

jumpinjen
01-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Hi there.... I get my best obs from just sitting and watching...... some weeks I see lots and other weeks I don't..... that is the way children develop though... in jumps and starts. For next steps, it could be making sure that the puzzles are easily available for child to choose, putting a new one out with same number of pieces but more complex pattern, introducing some language when using them like 'the other way' 'turn it round' 'match the edges up' etc or simply 'support to do again when child wants to@.... it doesn't always have to be a further thing as children need time to consolidate new skills.

jenx