PDA

View Full Version : Parent sending inappropriate food

Lu 2010
01-11-2010, 02:03 PM
I have a parent that sends her 10 month old daughter with what I feel is very inappropriate food for her lunch. I've only had her for 3 days so far and this is what she's been given;

Day 1 - A tin of hotdogs!!
Day 2 - A slice of billy bear ham, half a sausage roll and a packet of apple slices and grapes (she has no teeth, so can't really eat the apple)
Day 3 - A slice of billy bear ham, a cheese string, 5 chocolate fingers and a packet of wotsits!!!!

To me this seems a ridiculous menu for a child that isn't even a year old. I've tried saying to mum that there's no need to send food and I do supply it but she keeps sending it.

The hardest thing is she is my friend.

Any ideas as to how I can tell her that I think this is wrong without losing my friend and a mindee?

mummyMia
01-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Poor child:eek:
Could you just send the food back every day? She might eventually get the message without you having to confront her about it.

Mykidsrock
01-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Do you have other mindees in your setting who are older? If so how about doing a theme on healthy eating and sending home a 'suggestion' for what a healthy lunch box could contain?

x

The Juggler
01-11-2010, 02:10 PM
tell her you forgot to give her your packed lunch policy (as you were in the process of updating it!;) .

Then you tell her what you allow/don't allow in lunchboxes because that's what you are required to do for Ofsted EYFs and ECM requirements. Then that is not YOU telling her.

There was a lovelyh fact sheet also on here a few weeks back, Littlepeoplesplates website - 10 steps to healthy eating for toddlers. I gave one to all my parents.

Good luckx

Lu 2010
01-11-2010, 02:15 PM
So far I've managed to come up with excuses for her not eating most of it and have given her the healthier stuff that we've eaten.

Like the idea of a healthy eating theme, maybe then she'll pick up the hint.

The Juggler
01-11-2010, 02:18 PM
So far I've managed to come up with excuses for her not eating most of it and have given her the healthier stuff that we've eaten.

Like the idea of a healthy eating theme, maybe then she'll pick up the hint.

if she is finding it difficult to make things up why not offer to provide a lunch for her for a set amount per day (incl. snacks).

Lu 2010
01-11-2010, 02:24 PM
if she is finding it difficult to make things up why not offer to provide a lunch for her for a set amount per day (incl. snacks).

Have told her there's no need to send anything and that I can claim food back on my tax but she just keeps bringing her all this c**p to eat

She's even been here when I've been doing batch cooking of healthy food to put in the freezer for mindees so she knows I do it

Zoomie
01-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Do a newsletter and do a print out of your menu on the back.

Maybe she'll get the hint and re-iterate that lunch is included in your fee (I am assuming it is).

Playmate
01-11-2010, 03:52 PM
I would say to her that providing something different for her child is distracting the other mindees, which is the reason why you supply food. Give her your food and just send hers home :D

Pipsqueak
01-11-2010, 04:24 PM
I would say to her that providing something different for her child is distracting the other mindees, which is the reason why you supply food. Give her your food and just send hers home :D

agreed:thumbsup: :littleangel: :D

Lu 2010
01-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Great idea, love it, thanks

Playmate
01-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Great idea, love it, thanks

You are welcome :D good luck :thumbsup:

ZoeAlli
01-11-2010, 09:35 PM
I also have a parent who sends bad food for their children :( I was so fed up I asked for some advice- the suggestion was to take photos of the food sent, diary it and show parent at the end of the week/ month, then ask her whether she would eat it. If not, why does she expect her children to eat it?
Also like the idea of a healthy eating theme (did think about doing that but parent works for a gym)!!!!
Hope you get it sorted:)

babs
01-11-2010, 09:38 PM
i mind my friends daughter and i give her what everyone else eats then say to mum dont bring her lunch tomorrow shes not had todays shes had so and so shes not bothered and like you i provide lunch so tell her not to send but i get shes a fussy eatter you know what shes like ill send her in case she does not eat what you put out, works for us...

Lu 2010
05-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Just thought i'd update you;

We've had a bit of a break through, she came today with homemade macaroni cheese!!!!! after i said thats what she ate and enjoyed on monday.

Yay!

Twinkles
05-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Just thought i'd update you;

We've had a bit of a break through, she came today with homemade macaroni cheese!!!!! after i said thats what she ate and enjoyed on monday.

Yay!

That's a start. Let's hope it doesn't now get sent in every day , lol.