PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Presents

BlondeMoment
01-11-2010, 10:28 AM
I hate to mention the "C" word before bonfire night but was just wondering how many of you buy christmas presents for mindees? I'd like to give something but with 7 on my books that could turn out expensive. Just £10 per child would be £70 :eek:

little miss chatterbox
01-11-2010, 10:30 AM
I do but I don't spend anymore than £5. usually jigsaws or books something similar to that

MAWI
01-11-2010, 10:34 AM
I always buy them all something. I have 14 on my books because I have part timers and a lot of schoolies.
Last Year I bought them all an Annual and a little bag of christmas chocolates. ( I bought the bag and madeup the contents
myself). This year Im taking the EYFS children on the Santa Train as a surprise for their present.
You are right, it does get expensive. There are many bargains out there though and you could always be creative and make up something that might not cost as much. You could maybe make a calendar with photos on, photo frames etc... Im sure someone else will have many ideas. Im afraid I take the easy option ad usually buy. I think its a nice gesture at christmas and parents always but me a little something, which makes my day.:)

lynnslittleuns
01-11-2010, 10:53 AM
I always get my mindees presents (8 at the moment).
I got some good deals at asda on £5 presents or 2 for £8.
Lynn xx

maisiemog
01-11-2010, 11:04 AM
I only have 6 on my books but I've already brought most of their presents in the 2 for £8 at asda, plus a tube of sweets from the pound shop. I think a fiver each is more than enough, after all they'll be spoilt by their parents wont they!

Mouse
01-11-2010, 11:15 AM
I buy something for all of mine, but limit the amount I spend to £5. I won't buy toys or sweets, so usually get a book.

RainbowMum
01-11-2010, 11:30 AM
I've ordered a set of 10 books (by Gruffalo author) from book people for 9.99 - I'm going to give 2 books to each mindee - looking out for a set for the older ones now and have 1 baby to buy for as well - easy peasy :clapping:

clio0602
01-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I only have 3 mindees so have spent £10 each on xmas and I have given them books (the book people are brill) for birthdays all in oct. If I had any more I would think £5 plenty x

Twinkles
01-11-2010, 12:52 PM
We have 10 on our books ATM and 3 casuals too.
We have spent £10 on the regular crew but have just got the casuals ( sometimes only see them 3-4 times a year ) a selection box.

We have bought named PJ's from 'Studio cards' , named pencil cases with coloured pencils and for the very small ones, books from 'The Book People'.

It is expensive but 'our' parents are very generous with their gifts to us.

rickysmiths
01-11-2010, 01:02 PM
One year when budgets were especially tight I made Playdough in different colours and put glitter in some of them.

I bought small rolling pins and some christmas cutters. I made up a cellophane bag for each mindee.

If you can get cutters and rooling pins in Pound shops or Willikinsons then these work out well under a fiver each.

This year I'm getting the little ones who are full time a bean bag animal floor mat each about £15 and the part timers a book from the book club. I have 3 birthdays between now and Christmas as well.

I like to get them something nice because their parents spoil me at Christmas and buy my teenagers Birthday and Christmas presents.

Alibali
01-11-2010, 01:38 PM
I have lovely parents who all buy for my children and me too, so I like to buy them something nice, usually about £10.00, I have 7 on my books so £70, but I dont mind as they are so good.

Chatterbox Childcare
01-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Usually I spent up to £10 per child on christmas and their birthdays but this year money has been tight so some have £10 and some have £5. it all depends on what I can find and where

Asda have some great specials at the moment for 2 for £20.00 so I have taken advantage of that and play.com have real real good deals and the girls have lipgloss in the shape of cup cakes for £4.99.

The Juggler
01-11-2010, 02:10 PM
I do but I don't spend anymore than £5. usually jigsaws or books something similar to that

me too. check out Yellow Moon and Studio they often have lovely presents for around £5.

BlondeMoment
01-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Kool!

Think I'll pop to Asda LOL x

Mazz
01-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I never spend more than £5 on each child, also dont forget you can put them through your accounts.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
01-11-2010, 03:43 PM
I normally spend £5 on each as I don't feel the parents appreciate it and now just expect it, so I have managed to get some In the night garden things from Mothercare which were suppose to be £12 but were reduced to £3.60 so I got them for 2 of my mindess and then the other one I will spend around £10 as the parents have been brilliant.

charleyfarley
01-11-2010, 05:27 PM
I buy things throughout the year in the sales for my mindees so they often get a really good present quite cheap :thumbsup:

One of my sets of parents are very generous and buy us all birthday presents too so I don't mind paying that little bit more.

Carol xx

lauredt
01-11-2010, 05:51 PM
I have just received my order from Ace today, I went personalized crazy this year. Personalized pencil cases and swimbags for my after schoolies, personalized cutlery sets for the babies, and pyjamas for the inbetweeners. Sorted, and under £40 for 10 mindees. Very proud of myself!:)

If only it was as easy, and as cheap, for my own children!

IndigoMoon
01-11-2010, 07:07 PM
I've been working for 2 Christmases, this year will be my third.

The first year I spent about fifteen pounds on each of my charges.

Last year I spent less, about £3 each.

This year I've spent a fiver each on books from the book people.

Daisy1956
01-11-2010, 08:52 PM
I have always bought presents for my mindees but as they are older and get lots of presents, after some discussion with the children we have decided to send a gift to a third world family maybe a goat or chicken ,healthcare or education the children will decide I just hope they can agree.

em29
01-11-2010, 08:58 PM
This is my first year buying presents - one family are great and the others are always non appreciative and will just grunt a thanks and grab it off me as if it is my duty to buy gifts. I have bought presents for the lo's birthday and christening and never had a proper thank you so will be searching in the bargain section for them :rolleyes:

Chimps Childminding
01-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Like Charleyfarley, June and I tend to buy things in the sales. This year all mindees (with the exception of 2 older boys) have got cuddly dogs from Matalan. We bought 12 between us quite early on in the year, think can't remember how much they were, but they were half price!!! 2 older ones have got remote control monkeys, also bought in the sales!!!!

we usually spend approx £5 on each mindee at Christmas and the same on their birthday!

nokidshere
02-11-2010, 08:09 AM
I have bought the younger ones presents from the sainsburys toy sale. All were under £5 but original price nearer £10 so a great bargain.

Not sure what to do about the older ones this year to be honest. £5 doesn't buy much and I am tempted to give them money or gift cards instead.