PDA

View Full Version : Parent booking extra days/ hours

snufflepuff
31-10-2010, 10:06 PM
LO is contracted Mon, Tues and Wed 8.30-3. For a while now Mum has been asking me to keep LO until 4.30pm (infact she has stopped asking now and just presumes it is ok) and recently has also been asking me to do Fridays too. Now, I'm glad of the extra money of course, and I want to be able to help her out. But I'm not keen on doing Fridays too often- I usually just have a school drop off and that's it, I get to spend Fridays with my son and get the housework done while he is napping. I had to say no to working last Friday because I was taking DS to a party and she seemed most put out, almost like she expects me to be avaliable as and when she needs me....i think she is too used to me being flexible all the time.

I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to be awkward and say that I can't do Fridays at all, but I don't feel like I can do them all the time. It means I have no time alone with DS and I have to spend half my weekend doing housework! I'd rather do Thursdays for her, even though it makes the school run a nightmare, but she said she takes LO to a toddler group on a Thursday so Fridays are better for her.

What would you do?

maisiemog
31-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Just be honest with her. I have a similar situation with one mum. I dont work Fridays....my DD goes to preschool and I cant bring myself to look after other peoples children when I dont have my own here.

However I will do it if desperate. I've just explained to her that it is my day off so I make plans for that day and it means that I wont be able to look after LO in these incidents.

Also remember it is your business and her contract states a Thursday. YOu dont actually need to justify not doing the Friday for her. Plus it does parents good for us to say no sometimes. They need to realise we have lives and families as well!

The Juggler
31-10-2010, 10:28 PM
I agree. Tell her you don't work on Fridays because that's your family day/paperwork/housework day.:)

Happy Gardener
01-11-2010, 12:21 AM
I currently have a Thursday off, but am about to lose that. Definitely looking forward to the extra money, but I will miss mt catch up time.

miffy
01-11-2010, 07:44 AM
I also think you should just be honest and say that you don't want to work Fridays.

If you're willing to work some Fridays then I'd say she had to book them a month in advance and you would do them if you were available.

Miffy xx

Ripeberry
01-11-2010, 10:36 AM
I currently have a Thursday off, but am about to lose that. Definitely looking forward to the extra money, but I will miss mt catch up time.

Same, here. I don't work Mondays but a mindee is coming to me later this month from 11am until 3pm, so just 4 hours, so in theory I still have 2hrs to myself to get jobs done :rolleyes: She will also be coming for another 4hrs on my 'quiet' day which is Friday.
But at least I get just over £100 extra each month, useful at this time of year :clapping: