PDA

View Full Version : Question about pre reg visit

libbyliberty
31-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Hi all

I am new to this website so I hope I am doing this okay.

I have my pre reg visit on Tuesday afternoon so I am starting to feel a bit nervous. How can I get my 4 year old and 2 year old to behave long enough for me to finish a conversation !!!!

My question is about my kitchen, I have a stairgate across the doorway of my kitchen which will enable me to control access to the kitchen. Does this mean I will still need cupboard locks ? I also have a wine rack in my kitchen full of wine :) will that have to go ? I have a knife and scissor block on my kitchen side will they both have to go ?

Thanks for the advice

Libby

gigglinggoblin
31-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Hello, welcome to the forum!

I have a gate across my kitchen and rather than risk assess it and make it safe I told Ofsted I didnt want to use it, no problems with that as my dining room is right next to it so I can keep an eye on the kids while I am in there. If you do want your kitchen registered its all a matter of risk assessing things. How will you ensure the children will be safe without cupbpard locks? Is the wine rack a danger? How will you ensure no one gets hurt? You cant depend on always being there, if another child falls over or needs your attention for some reason the others in your care can then get into stuff they are not meant to so your risk assessment will show how you prevent this.

If you can get someone else to watch the kids it might be helpful, if not then at least Ofsted will get the benefit of seeing you interacting with them, when you are inspected you will have kids there so it might make that less stressful!

Dont worry too much about it, you can ask them questions and if you are not sure about whether to register the kitchen or not you can ask their advice about what you would need to do and decide if you want to on the day, thats what I did with my garden and it was fine. I then applied for a variation when I got it ready.

Newbie1!
01-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Hia sweetie, only had my pre-reg two weeks ago so hopefully I can help a little. Re the stair gates, I have three in my house but didnt put any of them up when Mrs O was here - she never questionned it - she asked whether there was ever a time I would leave the children in the kitchen unattended and I said of course not! She was happy with that! Re the wine, I was told that alcohol must not be on display, I therefore had moved mine into a locked dining room cupboard before she came. It seems that different inspectors look for different things but the main thing I got from mine was that she wasnt concerned whether or not things were actually ready and perfect but more that I understood what should and shouldnt be done when children were around.

Best of luck for the visit, try to relax and have the kettle on when they arrive!!! :laughing:

sarah707
01-11-2010, 05:45 PM
I was told many years ago that alcohol must not be on view during working hours because it's not part of the healthy living ethos.

I do not restrict access to my kitchen because older children go through it to get to the loo and we use it for cooking and food preparation with the children a lot.

So I put knives and scissors in a cupboard high up with a lock on it and risk assess other cupboards etc.

I'd ask your inspector's advice - they are not coming to trip you up at pre-reg and you should find them helpful.

Good luck! :D

Libby08
03-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Was your visit yesterday? How was it? When I had a visit from the lady from my breifing i suggested doing that with my kitchen but was told to think VERY carefully about putting any rooms as out of bounds on your certificate as if somehow a child did get in the kitchen (it happens-maybe while your in the toilet for example or changing a nappy) and anything happens then your insurance will not be valid and you can end up in a lot of trouble! She said that the inspectors will just do it if you ask and wont really go through that with you so just make sure your are sure! I have a stairgate on my kitchen and dont have cupboard locks but all chemicals and 'dangerous' items are in high cupboards out of reach or in my locked cleaning cupboard. My sharp knives are in my cutlery drawer but not sure if it should be locked? I was going to ask the inspectors advice as they are meant to be there to help us too!

My visits tomorow so let us know what they said. x

DAWN44
03-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi,
I had pre reg visit today. It went really well, I have child gate on kitchen, only have lock on cupboard where bleach is. Ofsted said as long as I supervise no need for other locks. I explained I was not going to let children in kitchen because no cooker guard, latches etc. She said still fine to use apart from when cooking. lady was really nice and registered every room . Really chuffed as have been so stressed about house. x:clapping:

Vickster
03-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Great news Dawn, what about the wine? At about 7ft high on top of our plate rack we have a variety of spirits, we honestly do not have anywhere else to store it. Do you think this is a problem?

DAWN44
03-11-2010, 05:40 PM
I have wine in rack in kitchen, she did say would be better in utility room . But mine is within childrens reach. ( wasnt intending to register kitchen, otherwise would have moved it ) . Cant see why yours is a problem if that high up. Good luck with your visit. if you have nowhere to put the wine , you can always send it to me ha ha x:laughing:

Newbie1!
03-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Hi,
I had pre reg visit today. It went really well, I have child gate on kitchen, only have lock on cupboard where bleach is. Ofsted said as long as I supervise no need for other locks. I explained I was not going to let children in kitchen because no cooker guard, latches etc. She said still fine to use apart from when cooking. lady was really nice and registered every room . Really chuffed as have been so stressed about house. x:clapping:

yey!!! Well done you! This is it now then, no turning back!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

DAWN44
03-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks Newbie, just waiting for crb checks now, still on stage 4 ( over 4 weeks so far). Feeling much more positive now, how are you getting on ?
:)

anisha
03-11-2010, 08:45 PM
well done:clapping:

DAWN44
03-11-2010, 09:27 PM
thank you , such a relief that she has been. Now got big glass of wine to celebrate ! x:laughing:

Vickster
04-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Dawn, it is not wine it is spirits and well out of childs reach but within sight

DAWN44
04-11-2010, 08:05 PM
I would have thought if it was out of reach it would be ok. However think if possible I would put it out of sight for visit. My pre reg visit was really laid back, and I admitted I had half a bottle of wine in fridge (cos she asked if I drink at all, said occasionally but was worried incase she looked in fridge and saw it. ) Could have kept quiet she didnt look in cupboards or fridge.:blush:

NicoleW
04-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Hi,

I thought that you had to have locks on most of your cupboards which have unsafe things in, my house looks like Fort Knox!

DAWN44
05-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Do have lock on cupboard for bleach, but she said kitchen fine if supervised. I have a baby gate to stop children going in kitchen on their own so I suppose thats why. x