PDA

View Full Version : Do you administer antibiotics to mindees?

francinejayne
31-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Parents have just rang me, their DD aged 13 months has an ear infection, she has a high temperature and is crying for her mummy all the time - they've had the emergency doctor out to her today. And they wanted to know if I can have her tomorrow!!! :panic:

I've said no as it wouldn't be fair on her or the other children in my care. They have accepted this. They told me that the emergency doctor hasn't prescribed antibiotics yet but may do if she isn't any better by Tuesday.

She is due back with me on Thursday - if she is prescribed antibiotics would I be OK to have her back on Thursday? Are we OK to give antibiotics if the parents give permission?

Thanks!

PixiePetal
31-10-2010, 07:20 PM
when a child has been on anti biotics for 2-3 days I have them back if they are well enough to carry on with activities. this is in case there is any reaction if they have not had them before and to get it into their system.

then they can come at my discretion with permissions signed and the understanding that i will ring if I feel they are not up to the day

rickysmiths
31-10-2010, 07:22 PM
She may well be fine anyway which is why the doctor hasn't prescribed antibiotics straight away.

If they are prescribed I will take a child after they have had 48hrs worth, but only if they are then well enough to take part in our normal daily routine.

I am happy under these circumstance and all the correct written permission in my Accident/Incident folder, to continue to give a lo their medication while they are with me.

sarah707
31-10-2010, 07:41 PM
If they are prescribed I will take a child after they have had 48hrs worth, but only if they are then well enough to take part in our normal daily routine.

I am happy under these circumstance and all the correct written permission in my Accident/Incident folder, to continue to give a lo their medication while they are with me.

I do the same! :D

flowerpots
31-10-2010, 08:06 PM

I am happy under these circumstance and all the correct written permission in my Accident/Incident folder, to continue to give a lo their medication while they are with me.[/QUOTE]

yes same here, i do insist on a min' of 48hours as my ds had a little reaction to them once.

xxxx

MissTinkerbell
01-11-2010, 02:59 PM
She may well be fine anyway which is why the doctor hasn't prescribed antibiotics straight away.

Same here. I had parent txt me yesterday to see if I could have L back (don't have them over holidays) as he was still on 10 day course of antibiotics - they were away and didn't have policy to hand and weren't sure if as he was on day 9 if he could come back!! They were quite relieved when I said only first 48 hours. Work werer getting angsty because mum and dad had had 6 days off prior to half-term as L was in hospital.

miffy
01-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Same as the others - once they've had anti-biotics long enough to know there's no reaction and only if they are feeling up to a normal day with us.

Miffy xx