PDA

View Full Version : gluten free?

mushpea
31-10-2010, 01:07 PM
if i care for a child with a gluten allergy am i within my rights to ask the parent to provide food for the childs own saftey? I normaly provide lunch but dont want to risk giving the child the 'wrong' foods. I would provide snack as this is fruit anyway

flora
31-10-2010, 01:12 PM
I think I would gluten free stuff is pricey and think buying it down to the parents.

I too wouldn't like the responsiblity of "getting "it wrong and causing probs for the child.

I am sure the paretns would be ok with this :thumbsup:

christine e
31-10-2010, 01:14 PM
HI

I look after a little one who cannot eat glutten. You do have to be very careful for the hidden ingredients for example gravy granules, oxo cubes, anything that contains malt vinegar. Mum did use to provide all meals and that worked well but as she has got older she kept asking to eat my dinners, I just run things past Mum and if I am using a convenience food and I am not sure then I check with mum first. It can be very difficult because manufacturers are constantly changing the ingredients eg mum was telling me last week that a mint sauce that she uses had spirit vinegar in but when little one had a flare up she checked the label and they had changed the spirit vinegar to malt vinegar and that caused the flare up. I do not think it is unreasonable to ask mum to provide food (bread is very expensive and my little one gets in on prescription). But even when giving snacks be very careful (stick to fruit and you will be fine!)

Cx

nannymcflea
31-10-2010, 01:15 PM
This child would probably get bread, pasta, biscuits etc on prescription anyway. Parents might be able to supply bread to put in your freezer etc. As long as it is stored in a container away from contaminates and heated away from contaminates, (different spoon, pot etc, ) then it will be ok.

Gluten free foods are expensive to buy off the shelf, so no it is not unreasonable to ask parents to provide, especially when it is available on prescription.:thumbsup:

charlie potato
31-10-2010, 01:46 PM
I used to provide my sons foods that he needed for his special diet. I saw it as my responsibility without even being told by my childminder. xx :)

Dragonfly
31-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Im a coeliac, so used to gluten free so given foods wouldnt be a problem. But i do agree the parents should provide the food if you are not able to. could give rice cakes at snack time and waitrose do a good selection some not too bad in price crackers etc.

solly
31-10-2010, 06:54 PM
I have a child who is caeliac and mum provides all the food for her as she said it is expensive and this way she knows exactly what her daughter is eating. I don't think you are wrong to ask mum to provide the food

beckyteddy
31-10-2010, 10:30 PM
I can see that you've had some brilliant answers already, but I can't resist giving my Mum a little plug here....

www.gluten-free-chef.com

This is my Mums's own web-site, she is a ceoliac herself and writes/designs/runs the web-site from home...there is some brilliant info on there...hope it helps. If you need any further advice, she has a contact me page on her site and I'm sure she would be very happy to help out if you're worried about getting in a muddle with your mindees foods/risks etc.