PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm new - NCMA Advice Pleeese!

sue71
31-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Hi, my name is Sue and I'm new to childminding, just completed my 4 week pre-reg meeting. About to do my first aid next week, EYFS course in January and can't get on the ICP course till March. So I do have quite a bit to go yet. I've just been trying to do get some risk assessments completed. However, this may be a really daft question, but when do I join NCMA? Is it better to be a member do you think? What are the benefits? Do I wait till I'm (hopefully!) registered. I know they do insurance but my hubby says we can go anywhere for that. Sorry if these questions are really daft, but finding it all a bit confusing. Please help! Thanks xx:blush: :blush:

tulip0803
31-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Some areas will fund the first years membership/insurance with NCMA or insurance with Morton Michel (MM). If you do get it funded it will happen just before you register.

Public Liability Insurance (PLI) specially tailored for childminders is available through NCMA (SCMA in Scotland) & MM not sure if anyone else does it for childminders.

I am a member of the NCMA and have my insurance through MM. NCMA is a charity that works on behalf of childminders, lobbying for reforms, recognition and gives advice. Membership alone is £50 for the year and you get 6 mags free, discounts on products etc. You do not have to be a member of the NCMA but I like belonging to a professional body. I would wait until you register and get mindees, particularly if you are going to use their PLI as well. ANy advice you need now we will help you on here.

sue71
31-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks, that has made it a lot clearer for me. xx