PDA

View Full Version : 5 under 5s variation

Zoomie
29-10-2010, 10:13 PM
i already have 2 variations in place to care for 4 children under the age of 5, in reality for, about an hour a day.

However one parent has asked for a one off morning which means I would have 5 under 5s, essentially only for an hour again. (We would pick up 5th mindee, walk home and lunch, then go back and drop 4th mindee at nursery).

Anyone had one of these granted recently ?

ORKSIE
29-10-2010, 10:18 PM
its worth a go....
good luck xx

jaja
29-10-2010, 10:22 PM
i have a varitaion for 4 under 5 any day of the week with the ones i look after however, when i was needed for an extra day i was told that i couldnt have 5 under 5 cause i would need an assistant or another minder to be working with you, i asked them if it was an emergency could i go into 5 under 5 and they wouldnt budge, its worth asking them again, you never know they change there minds about everything else as quick, lol xxxx

Zoomie
29-10-2010, 10:33 PM
i have a varitaion for 4 under 5 any day of the week with the ones i look after however, when i was needed for an extra day i was told that i couldnt have 5 under 5 cause i would need an assistant or another minder to be working with you, i asked them if it was an emergency could i go into 5 under 5 and they wouldnt budge, its worth asking them again, you never know they change there minds about everything else as quick, lol xxxx

is this because you would go over the 6 under 8 rule ?

Only 1 of my 3 children takes up my spaces, so I can have 5 other children.

Actually the variation is really for 4 under 5s plus my 3y old DD.

jumpinjen
30-10-2010, 07:44 AM

What???? How on earth did you manage that?? My 3 year old is counted in my ratio of under fives, so how did you get one for four under fives plus one, so in effect five under fives already?? That's mad! How did Ofsted agree that you could have three under fives all the time plus your own three year old, that means that you have four under fives permanently!!!! Are you sure about it?

Jen x

hello kitty
30-10-2010, 07:55 AM
I have a variation for 5 under 5 for 3 afternoons.

Go for it and state your case, if they ring you sound confident that you know what you are doing and you can manage.

Good luck. :)

Zoomie
30-10-2010, 08:28 AM
What???? How on earth did you manage that?? My 3 year old is counted in my ratio of under fives, so how did you get one for four under fives plus one, so in effect five under fives already?? That's mad! How did Ofsted agree that you could have three under fives all the time plus your own three year old, that means that you have four under fives permanently!!!! Are you sure about it?

Jen x

I haven't explained clearly:
Normal Tuesday I have:
DD
8am Mindee 1 (3y)
930am Mindee 2 (2y)
1130am Mindee 3 (4y)
1230 Mindee 1 goes to nursery

So essentially have 3 children (including my own) till 1130, then 4 children for an hour, then back to 3 after we have dropped mindee at nursery.

But I need cover for mindee 4 from
830 till 1130 for one Tuesday only.

Have submitted, so will sew what Ofsted say in a few weeks time.

Zoomie
30-10-2010, 08:31 AM
I have a variation for 5 under 5 for 3 afternoons.

Go for it and state your case, if they ring you sound confident that you know what you are doing and you can manage.

Good luck. :)

Did they ring you.

I know they rang me when I put my first variation request in (for 4 under 5s 2x a week for a 1-2 hours. But when I put in a 2nd request for a 3rd day, they just granted it (well my DD was sick so I missed call and then after the weekend it just arrived in the post in time)

jaja
30-10-2010, 06:19 PM

no, i can have 5 children in total but at any time only 3 under 5, so i got a variation to have 4 under 5 within my numbers, when i asked about 5 under 5 i was told no, but i would need to be able to have that many for 5 hours on my own ranging from 6 weeks to 21 months, depends on alot of different things when ofsted decide what they will and want pass, let us know how you get on.
xx

Chatterbox Childcare
30-10-2010, 06:24 PM
I was told a big NO NO with 5 under 5's as it was against the law but as you can see from other posts it could be a maybe so why not ask and see

jaja
30-10-2010, 06:32 PM
I was told a big NO NO with 5 under 5's as it was against the law but as you can see from other posts it could be a maybe so why not ask and see

i was told this from ofsted too, and when i work with my assistant i have to say that 5 under 2 is really hard work and i think most of us, if not all would struggle with the age range i have too if you were on your own, so i understand where ofsted are coming from

xxx

Playmate
30-10-2010, 06:45 PM
i was told this from ofsted too, and when i work with my assistant i have to say that 5 under 2 is really hard work and i think most of us, if not all would struggle with the age range i have too if you were on your own, so i understand where ofsted are coming from

xxx

I totally agree. I work with hubby and can have 6 under 5, but would much rather work with 4 - 5. I certainly would not dream of doing nursery runs with more than 3. I worked with 4 under 5 many a fews years ago when I worked on my own,(before the days of written risk assesments :D ) and when I think back it frightens the life out of me :panic:

VINASOL
30-10-2010, 06:58 PM
:blush: so would Ofsted grant 3 under 5 then?

thans

manjay
30-10-2010, 07:02 PM
I totally agree. I work with hubby and can have 6 under 5, but would much rather work with 4 - 5. I certainly would not dream of doing nursery runs with more than 3. I worked with 4 under 5 many a fews years ago when I worked on my own,(before the days of written risk assesments :D ) and when I think back it frightens the life out of me :panic:

I agree. We too can have 5 under 5's plus our own 4 yr old. Really wouldn't do it with under 2's:rolleyes:

jaja
30-10-2010, 07:08 PM
:blush: so would Ofsted grant 3 under 5 then?

thans

depends on your own children, if they are under 5 and not in full time school then you can only have a max of 3 under 5 including your own under 5, if that makes sense, unless you ask for a variation and that depends on how ofsted are and lots of other things too x
xxxxxx

jumpinjen
31-10-2010, 09:40 AM
I haven't explained clearly:
Normal Tuesday I have:
DD
8am Mindee 1 (3y)
930am Mindee 2 (2y)
1130am Mindee 3 (4y)
1230 Mindee 1 goes to nursery

So essentially have 3 children (including my own) till 1130, then 4 children for an hour, then back to 3 after we have dropped mindee at nursery.

But I need cover for mindee 4 from
830 till 1130 for one Tuesday only.

Have submitted, so will sew what Ofsted say in a few weeks time.

oh i seeeeeee, your life sounds complicated!!!!!!:laughing:

Zoomie
01-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Well I got the email confirmation of my variation request back from Ofsted last week.

Today, someone from OFsted rang to say it has been passed to the referral team and I will have an answer within 14 days.

Fingers crossed.

miffy
01-11-2010, 03:10 PM
I know someone who had a variation for 5 under 5 so fingers crossed for you!

Miffy xx

Zoomie
06-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Turns out I won't actually need it.

Mum has pulled one of the other mindees from Tuesday cos money is tight.

Still gonna let the variation request run its course, to see what Ofsted decide :blush: .

Zoomie
09-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Ofsted have granted the variation :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: .

Had a phone call this afternoon as I was trying to supervise the children's scooter ride through town :eek: .

Its only for 4 hours, and is a once off, but I am really pleased it was granted. :D :D