PDA

View Full Version : what do you think?

curlycathy
29-10-2010, 05:39 PM
I attend a weekly stay and play session at our local primary school, run by children centre staff. When I say staff I mean one worker! Bless her, she has tried really hard to get us lot out in the sticks a stay and play session and activities in the holidays. For reasons best known to the government my village comes under a children's centre about 15 miles away (instead of 5 miles away in the nearest town!). The session hasn't been on this week cos of school holidays.

This worker left a message on my mobile on Wednesday saying that she's on annual leave next week and could I ring her as she has a proposition for me about the session. Didn't get the message until late so returned call yesterday and left message on her voicemail. Anyway she phoned me back today - I didnt answer cos I was in Tescos and wanted to get out asap! - but when I checked the message it was that her boss and her were wondering if I would run the session next week:panic: I am of course, welcome to go and collect some resources from the centre!!

Now, I genuinely can't do it next week cos my dd has a birthday party to go to - was going to session anyway and get her ready at the end of session and go straight there - bit of a rush but didnt want mindees to miss out on session. But I don't know where I would stand insurance wise or anything with regard to running the session. I don't mind as such - it is only for an hour - but only if I would be insured and if everything is legal and above board iyswm. Also, if this situation were to arise again would it be unreasonable to ask for someone from the centre to drop some resources off at my house, or even at the school? I don't get paid petrol like they do plus I would be working and have at least two littlies with me at any one time, so can't really see how it would be practical to get stuff from the centre - which is a 30 mile round trip as well!!!

Sorry, I've rambled on. I'm supposed to be phoning the centre on Monday to talk about it and am hoping someone here will be able to tell me what to say - politely! I've a feeling that if I say no it won't run this week - but I refuse to feel guilty about it cos I do think its the centre's responsibility to organise cover not mine.

Please tell me what to say!!! Thank you oh great and wise ones :D

sarah707
29-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Tbh I wouldn't want that kind of responsibility while minding.

When working we have to put the children first and if I was running a session their needs might possibly be neglected.

So I would say thank you for thinking of me and trusting me but no, not on my own... what about a group of you taking charge together?

Hth :D

curlycathy
29-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks Sarah thats kind of what I was thinking. I think they would want me to set up and clear away (which my 11 year old usually ends up helping with anyway cos he meets us there after school bless him!) and then be the responsible person. I think I'm going to say no for next week anyway cos I cant, but talk to the other mums who go (ones an ex nursery nurse, ones a support worker and someone else worked in education - we have loads of experience between us!) and see if we can come up with something to keep the session open if/when this situation arises. I just dont want to do it by myself - like you say our children have to come first!

We are fighting a losing battle here and are scared that our one session will be taken away from us. Its sad cos there are plenty of parents here who dont drive and who do need the kind of support childrens centres are supposed to offer.

Thanks again x