PDA

View Full Version : Cooking halal meals

maisiemog
29-10-2010, 03:13 PM
I care for 3 muslim boys and mum has just asked me if I can start giving them meals as they are here at tea time and dont like watching the others eat. I dont have a problem with this but I've just suddenly realised that pretty much everything I feed my mindees at the moment is unsuitable for them!!!

Just panicing now that I'll never get everything ready for dinner time if I have to cook them totally different meals. I mean they cant eat pork so thats sausages out, we have roast pork once a month etc. Gonna have to get adventurous...and more organised I think!

Might just have to go veggie on the days they come to me? Only 3 times a week at the mo and could prob do jacket pots, quorn spag bog etc on those days. Full time after xmas though!

Any ideas to make it easier

beccas
29-10-2010, 03:42 PM
you can buy quorn for them theres lots of different things.

but halal meat is expensive and you shouldnt cook there food with haram meat(meat not halal) aas it then becomes halal

you can get quorn mince and make spag bol/cottage pie it tastes justteh same when cooked in all the stuff trust me hubby muslim

but ask kids what they want prob fish would be good

ask mum tobox some up for them if she has cooked meal night before they mayt be some left over as they oftenmake lots, well my mil always does. lol

hope this helps

devoncm
29-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Id explain to mum that at present what you cook for mindees is not suitable for them, you will however try and cook a couple meals to suit everyone but could she pssibly give you some prepared meals so all the children are able to eat what they like

Chatterbox Childcare
29-10-2010, 04:41 PM
I am in the same position and this is the 3rd week and after trying to accomodate everyone around their meals I have decided that I am doing veg and potatoes every night and they have something from the Asda frozen meat free section and the others have their meat

Of course there is vegtable noodles and pasta as a good option but with cheese and beans instead of meat

maisiemog
29-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks for all the advice! Will probably do a lot of veggie foods for the time being, and speak to mum about maybe sending food in with them. Although in asda this eve they had some halal products reduced to clear so picked them up to put in the freezer for when i do stuff like sausages?

It wont matter if they are in the oven at the same time will it? God this is all so confusing!!! Gonna have to do some serious research into halal I think!!!

beccas
30-10-2010, 08:31 AM
as long as juices form other meat dont goon them and they are on separate tray no it doesnt matter if they are in oven together.

maisiemog
30-10-2010, 09:49 AM
as long as juices form other meat dont goon them and they are on separate tray no it doesnt matter if they are in oven together.

Thanks. Thats good to know. Will just put them on the top shelf of the oven then!

Googled loads of yummy sounding veggie recipes last night so I think I'm feeling more confident now.

Is fish ok? Or do you get halal fish as well?

angeldelight
30-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Id explain to mum that at present what you cook for mindees is not suitable for them, you will however try and cook a couple meals to suit everyone but could she pssibly give you some prepared meals so all the children are able to eat what they like

Thats what I have done in the past

Parent has provided the meals - its so much easier

Good luck hope you sort something out

Angel xx

haribo
30-10-2010, 11:09 AM
i would go veggie :thumbsup: halal meat is completely barbaric and basically they opt out of the animal welfare regs. for religious reasons :(

jumpinjen
30-10-2010, 11:59 AM
i would go veggie :thumbsup: halal meat is completely barbaric and basically they opt out of the animal welfare regs. for religious reasons :(

Unfortunately that wouldn't be inclusive practice

jen x

louised
30-10-2010, 12:20 PM
i would go veggie halal meat is completely barbaric and basically they opt out of the animal welfare regs. for religious reasons

totally agree with the above

Unfortunately that wouldn't be inclusive practice

Also agree with this and for that reason would either cook vegetarian meals for the children or wouldn't have taken them on in the first place.
Being a veggie myself it would not be acceptable to me to have halal meat in my house

haribo
30-10-2010, 01:52 PM
No meat = no problem :clapping:

Heaven Scent
30-10-2010, 05:02 PM
When I've worked in nurseries in the past the Muslim children had beef sausages if the other children had pork - as far as I could remember pork was only ever an issue for most of them - then the hindus couldn't have beef so they just had something else instead - talk to the parent before you get all stressed out and ask what they expect if its not managable for you considering time limits and budget etc then tell them this and try to work somehting out between you both even if it means her providing something. If you cut out pork for the other children this is showing bias and that is equally as wrong as discrimination as you are disciminating against the other children by not providing it due to the beliefs of a few iyswim.

IndigoMoon
30-10-2010, 05:47 PM
I have two children who are not allowed to eat beef or pork for cultural reasons.

Did you know Tesco sells chicken sausages? They're not particularly expensive and taste nice too.

The company that sells all the different flavours of meatballs (sorry cannot think of name) also sells chicken meatballs

not really sure what halal meat is so they may not be suitable for OP but may be suitable for others?

I stopped cooking meals at lunchtime because I was having to make 3 different meals, one lot veggie, one lot meatie and one lot no beef and pork - nightmare!

gigglinggoblin
30-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Apologies if this is too obvious but look out for pork gelatine in EVERYTHING, I couldnt find chocolate mousse for love nor money when I was pregnant, if it didnt contain raw egg (not allowed when pg) it had gelatine (i am veggie), moved onto ice cream as a substitute and nearly cried in the aisle as so much of the nice stuff had pork in too. Bleurgh.

maisiemog
31-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Yea, I figured the gelatine thing as well. They'll just have to have fruit or yogurt for puddings I think.

Got my first few weeks menus planned out now and going to cook a lot of that in bulk so its in the freezer already. Lots of veggie foods, a few bits with cheaper halal meats and quorn sausages etc for when we have pork. Think I should just about manage to keep everybody happy without too much cost or inconvenience. Should work out that they all eat the same bar the meat which is only a case of sticking it on a different baking tray! Just gonna try and do the pork meals on the evenings they dont come I think!

Thanks for your help everybody! Much appreciated!!!