PDA

View Full Version : Attention span of small gnats!

miss mopple
28-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Please tell me Im not the only one with kids like this :laughing: :laughing:

I have had 2x2yr olds, an almost 4yr old, my 5yr old, an 8yr old and my 11yr old today. I decided we would have a stay at home and play/ craft day but oh my goodness, they just couldn't settle into anything :panic: They flitted from toy to toy/game to game and constantly needed reminding to put things away, which they would get out again later before abandoning it after 5 mins and then the whole things started again :laughing:

I dont expect the 2yr olds to be as good with keeping things tidy, but they were better than the biggies today. Honestly, the older kids have driven me potty (except my 11yr old who has very wisely hidden in her room and is now sitting happily doing craft as they have all gone home :) ) I have felt like a maid all day picking up after them :mad: (when I havent been referee between them that is :rolleyes: )

Think the wine is calling tonight :laughing:

Chell
28-10-2010, 05:56 PM
I find a big difference between boys and girls. I have two year old and 2 x five year old girls. They'll sit for ages doing crafty things but the boys (7yrs and 8yrs) won't do much. The seven year old is my son, he has never had a good attention span for that type of thing. Give him some Lego or den making bits and he will play for hours.

funemnx
28-10-2010, 06:34 PM
I know how you feel, the harder you work the more they want!

My little ones (3 and under) have happilly gone along with all my plans for the day - face painting, cookie baking/decorating, balloon play, park. The 9year old has been the most difficult though. She's happy to do the planned activity but the second we finish one thing, she wants to do the next - I want a cuppa!!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Happy Bunny
28-10-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm on my 2nd glass.
I have had a 2 year old who has constantly screamed in temper tantrums all day.
A 6 year old ADHD child who has run from pillar to post.
2 8 year old who have pulled every toy out imaginable (though have tidied up after)
One 14 year old with serious attitude.
And finally a 18 year old with PMT.

I can't even say they can go home lol as they are all mine barring one who is on a sleep over.

Chimps Childminding
28-10-2010, 06:48 PM
I know how you feel, the harder you work the more they want!

My little ones (3 and under) have happilly gone along with all my plans for the day - face painting, cookie baking/decorating, balloon play, park. The 9year old has been the most difficult though. She's happy to do the planned activity but the second we finish one thing, she wants to do the next - I want a cuppa!!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hear hear!!!!! Had exactly the same with a 5 year old today - 2x4 year olds more than happy with what June and I had planned but the 5 year old couldn't concentrate on what she was doing for wanting to know what we were going to do next :rolleyes: we made ghosts, did face painting, finding bugs in jelly, had a party for lunch, watched Nanny Mcphee (couldn't find Casper :( )!!!

Then they went home with a goodie bag full of halloween goodies, a punchball balloon, pumpkin, jelly made in a round yoghurt pot (Activia) to look like a cauldron with jelly spiders and eye balls on top, gloves with glow in the dark spider webs on them, rings with lip balm in them, spooky straws, and halloween sweets - and she still moaned that we hadn't played pass the parcel like last year :angry:

singingcactus
28-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Ours had great fun today - no planned activities just lots of play. I don't tend to do crafts, we do lots of free art which the kids love, but 'craft' I find is not enjoyed by many kids. We like the process more than the product, especially the older kids who get enough of being told how to do things at school.
We just put out the materials, and stand back and watch the chaos...erm, creativity.