PDA

View Full Version : look out health and safety gone mad

Pixie dust
28-10-2010, 04:17 PM
ReHospital chiefs today issued a bizarre warning on the dangers of Halloween apple bobbing - advising people to remove the stalks and wear goggles.
Officials said a 'high velocity impact with an apple' had the potential to cause serious eye injury while unclean water could lead to infection or blindness.
They also recommended disinfecting water containers, using bottled mineral water and turning on lights - presumably to ensure there are no injurious bumps in the night

ad more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324527/Halloween-health-safety-Wear-goggles-apple-bobbing.html#ixzz13fdHOUUZ
Just read this and can't believe what I am reading the world is going mad....:rolleyes:

miffy
28-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Another one to cross off the list of party games then! :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Andrea08
28-10-2010, 04:20 PM
PMSL :laughing: is a joke x

jane5
28-10-2010, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't really fancy apple bobbing after lots of people have had a go, slobbering in the water...urrrh

I may take the 1st go :idea:

funemnx
28-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Rushing off to write a policy!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ZoeAlli
28-10-2010, 05:04 PM
mmm! What childhood game is going to be scrutinised next by health and safety?
We don't bob for apples but I have hung them from string (by the stalks) on the washing line for the children to try to catch. For younger ones we used apple rings, party ring biscuits and sweets with hole in the middle! The children love it and it is a little easier. :)

IndigoMoon
28-10-2010, 05:04 PM
So 3 people (presumably in the whole country?) were admitted to hospital last year from apple bobbing injuries. I wonder how many from falling over yet they don't ban walking. Ludicrous!

patevans
28-10-2010, 05:19 PM
hahaha thought it was an april fool then realised its October :laughing:

manjay
28-10-2010, 05:29 PM
no wonder the children in this country are growing up as "cotton wool kids":rolleyes:

zillervalley
28-10-2010, 05:39 PM
mmm! What childhood game is going to be scrutinised next by health and safety?
We don't bob for apples but I have hung them from string (by the stalks) on the washing line for the children to try to catch. For younger ones we used apple rings, party ring biscuits and sweets with hole in the middle! The children love it and it is a little easier. :)

woooo i like the idea of the ringed biscuit might try that with my brownies Tomorrow , thanks, as guiding rules stopped us from apple bobbing a few years ago

karensmart4
28-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Normally we do apple bobbing then straight into marshmallows in icing sugar, lovely white faces, but last year I strung up ring doughnuts, children and adults had to put their hands behind their backs and first one to eat their doughnut was the winner....it was hillarious watching their faces :D

Not very healthy I know...but fun :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
28-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Normally we do apple bobbing then straight into marshmallows in icing sugar, lovely white faces, but last year I strung up ring doughnuts, children and adults had to put their hands behind their backs and first one to eat their doughnut was the winner....it was hillarious watching their faces :D

Not very healthy I know...but fun :thumbsup:

I did a halloween party last year for my own, then 15 and 13 yr old, kids and their friends.

I tied jam doughnuts on strings to the washing line at various heights - nice messy faces :laughing:

Happy Bunny
28-10-2010, 06:40 PM
I don't care I am doing apple bobbing sunday LOL lol
I will make sure i have the paracetamol at the ready for after incase there are any germs lurking about.

nokidshere
28-10-2010, 07:31 PM
And ophthalmologist Parwez Hossain, from Southampton General Hospital

He - the above person- is NOT H&S!!!! There are NO H&S rules regarding halloween or any other festival, conkers, skating, snowboarding or ANY OTHER sport that you want to do with your children! NONE AT ALL!!!!!

message from my H&S husband :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry::angry: :angry:

LOL

keeks
28-10-2010, 08:40 PM
I love this country, people say the most hilarious things! :laughing:

We will be bobbing away at my nursery, bravely staring death (or worse) in the face!!!

xxx