PDA

View Full Version : quick help needed for cm friend

marnieb
28-10-2010, 07:28 AM
A really good cm friend of mine is being walked over by one of her parents. Mum is always asking her to look after B in hols (she has O 8-6 full time), but then mum changes her mind and sends B away to Grannies. My friend can't stand up to her!!!

Mum asked her to have B for 2 weeks over the half term, then changed her mind. I'm trying to get my friend to stand up to her and get her payment!!!!!

What do you all think to the following:

Dear D,

As I’m sure you’ll recall, several weeks ago you asked me to child mind b for the entirety of his October half term break. This meant that he should have been with me for 5 days a week, 8am to 6pm, for 2 weeks.

However, you changed your mind and gave me no notice at all, and instead sent Bto his grandparents.

This is your own personal choice. I’m sure you’re not aware that I spent money on B, and bought food and snacks for him to cover the 2-week period, as well as arranging appropriate activities and days out to keep Bhappy.

Also, this means that you should have paid me (in advance) for this childminding. At my current rate, I should have charged you a total amount of £400 for the work that you had booked me for. This is standard childminding practice.

Instead, as we have a good relationship, I instead am going to charge you half rate, which means you owe me £200 for the October half term for fees for B.

In future, if you change your plans I will charge you the full-rate for days that you choose to book B in with me.

I would appreciate the monies to be paid to me by the 5th of November.

Reagrds,

singlewiththree
28-10-2010, 07:31 AM
If the holidays aren't already on the contract then I would wait until the next holiday and get the parent to sign a contract stating that by signing this they are agreeing to pay whether the child comes or not.

If however the hours are already on the contract then your letter sounds good.

Chatterbox Childcare
28-10-2010, 07:34 AM
If the holidays aren't already on the contract then I would wait until the next holiday and get the parent to sign a contract stating that by signing this they are agreeing to pay whether the child comes or not.

If however the hours are already on the contract then your letter sounds good.

Same here - I would ask for a meeting with the parent as get their exact requirements and if the contract becomes casual then I would put a 50% cancellation fee once booked on it

miffy
28-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Does she have a contract for B for school holiday care or is it ad-hoc?

If there is a contract then fine, no question she should get her money but without a contract then, especially as she's let this parent get away with it before, I don't think she'll get her money.

I'd say either do a contract for the ad-hoc or ask for payment in full at the time of booking - no payment, no childcare - and that way she won't be out of pocket.

Sounds like this mum just books B in with your friend in case granny can't have him so she's covered.

Really hope your friend gets it sorted out.

Miffy xx

Mouse
28-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Are the holidays in the contract or does your friend get mum to sign something to say she wants childcare during the holidays?
If not, then I don't think your friend has a case to answer. You're saying that the parents should have paid in advance for the extra care - does it say that in the contract?

On the face of it, if the days aren't contracted, I don't think your friend can charge mum for the weeks she said she wanted, but didn't use.

What I do (and what might be a good idea for your friend in future) is have a booking form for parents to use for any additional time they say they need me. The form says that if they want to book extra time they need to complete the form saying what hours they want and they need to pay the agreed fee upfront. The days are not booked unless the form is completed & the money paid. I state on the form that the fee is non-refundable if they later decide not to use the days.
If they don't fill in a booking form & pay me, I don't do the work.

marnieb
28-10-2010, 07:46 AM
thanks for all replying so quickly!!!!

My friend used to have b before & after school, but mum has changed him to private school, but told cm she wanted holiday cover. The original contract is still in place. She's also taking O and putting him into nursery full time in October, but has told cm she still wants her to have B in hols. I think she's realised that cm isn't going to stand upto her and demand her payments, and I've pointed out to her if she doesn't stand upto mum now, it will just get worse.

Cm told me yesterday that mum had both kids booked in for the whole 6 week summer hols, but onlu used her for 2 weeks, and so only paid her for those weeks, despite being contracted!!!!

This is why I'm trying to get cm friend to stand upto her!!!!!

Chatterbox Childcare
28-10-2010, 07:29 PM
I think that if she bills her mum won't pay. She will say that she gave notice and seeing the contracted amount isn't being paid your friend will not get anywhere

She needs to sort out her paperwork first and then she has everything in place to confront the parent about paying

If she hasn't pushed for the school hols money then the parent may think that this is the norm and be non the wiser

What about producing invoices rather than word of mouth so that both sides know where they stand?

The Juggler
28-10-2010, 08:25 PM
I agree, I think your friend needs to sit mum down and explain that others are asking after her holiday spaces. she can tell a white lie and explian that she had enquries for this last hols which she turned down as she though B was coming and then as she hadn't sent B, she lost a considerable amount of money.

I would suggest discussing exactly what her requirements are. She can change contract to a new one fixing holiday care, for which she pays in advance, or keep ad-hoc care, making sure she knows that thsi means that a place is not guaranteed if she does this.

If mum wants to go down the ad-hoc route, your friend should tell her that is ok but she has a new booking form in place to avoid loss of income in the future. The form means that once the place is booked the parent signs and agrees to pay for the space whether used or not. It might help if your friend prepares a form to show mum at the meeting. She can just tell her it's to avoid such a loss of income in the future.

Tell her time to get tough:) wish her luck

Blaze
28-10-2010, 08:30 PM
I agree, I think your friend needs to sit mum down and explain that others are asking after her holiday spaces. she can tell a white lie and explian that she had enquries for this last hols which she turned down as she though B was coming and then as she hadn't sent B, she lost a considerable amount of money.

I would suggest discussing exactly what her requirements are. She can change contract to a new one fixing holiday care, for which she pays in advance, or keep ad-hoc care, making sure she knows that thsi means that a place is not guaranteed if she does this.

If mum wants to go down the ad-hoc route, your friend should tell her that is ok but she has a new booking form in place to avoid loss of income in the future. The form means that once the place is booked the parent signs and agrees to pay for the space whether used or not. It might help if your friend prepares a form to show mum at the meeting. She can just tell her it's to avoid such a loss of income in the future.

Tell her time to get tough:) wish her luck

As above!:thumbsup: