PDA

View Full Version : Toys and equipment

SonnysMummy
10-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Hi:)
Sent my application form off on monday and my health one on wednesday. Read what the doctor said and he just confirmed the details regarding my past eating disorder and depression. I had a chat with him before he did the form and told him i've been fine since 2005.

Anyway; afew questions...
I'm getting my house ready for ofsted coming, writing policies and buying toys and equipment.
Firsty; what do you all do about equipment for children to take naps? I write in my policy that children can sleep in pushchair for short naps(this is what my son does), or i have a travel cot they can use if parents prefer. But what about children about 2-3 years who may have gone into a bed? Do you use those ready made beds or those little mats you can put on the floor? These are what we used with the children when i worked in a nursery but we had to as we had about a million children all needing to sleep at the same time!!!
Do you use a single bed with a guard? But then i guess there may be more than one child of that age needing to sleep at the same time.

Secondly; do you supply car seats?

Finally; am i right to think that i don't need to have all toys and equipment for all age groups before ofsted come for the pre-reg? Can i use a wish list for the toys and equipment i need and am going to get? It's just that for some things i'd rather wait and see the ages and developmental stage of the children i'm going to look after before i buy anything???

Twinkles
10-04-2008, 07:23 PM
I use travel cots for very small people to sleep in. I have one or two mats that the older ones can use or they can sleep on the sofa.

I provide car seats except rear facing ones , I ask parents to bring those.

sarah707
10-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Hi:)
Sent my application form off on monday and my health one on wednesday. Read what the doctor said and he just confirmed the details regarding my past eating disorder and depression. I had a chat with him before he did the form and told him i've been fine since 2005.

Anyway; afew questions...
I'm getting my house ready for ofsted coming, writing policies and buying toys and equipment.
Firsty; what do you all do about equipment for children to take naps? I write in my policy that children can sleep in pushchair for short naps(this is what my son does), or i have a travel cot they can use if parents prefer. But what about children about 2-3 years who may have gone into a bed? Do you use those ready made beds or those little mats you can put on the floor? These are what we used with the children when i worked in a nursery but we had to as we had about a million children all needing to sleep at the same time!!!
Do you use a single bed with a guard? But then i guess there may be more than one child of that age needing to sleep at the same time.

Little one sleeps in the travel cot or buggy (with permission). For older ones, I use mats on the floor and each child has their own blanket which is washed overnight

Secondly; do you supply car seats?

Yes but only because I have a stock of them from when my children were little. It's up to you really.

Finally; am i right to think that i don't need to have all toys and equipment for all age groups before ofsted come for the pre-reg? Can i use a wish list for the toys and equipment i need and am going to get? It's just that for some things i'd rather wait and see the ages and developmental stage of the children i'm going to look after before i buy anything??? Yes you're right, don't go wasting your money until you know who you're getting... just make a wish list of stuff you would like to buy depending on the ages of the children

Good luck! :D

Rubybubbles
10-04-2008, 07:47 PM
everything Sarah said:D

SonnysMummy
10-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks:) This may be a silly question but where do the children sleep when they are sleeping on the mats on the floor. It's just i have wooden floors in every room of my house. They may be uncomfortable. Also, didn't know you needed permission for children to sleep in pushchairs!!!

Twinkles
10-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Mine have their mats on the floor in the playroom or lounge. They shouldn't be uncomfortabe on a mat on a wooden floor , it's only a nap after all not all night.

sarah707
10-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Also, didn't know you needed permission for children to sleep in pushchairs!!!

Sarah's just had an action from her inspection about this... :eek:

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6924

tulip0803
10-04-2008, 11:00 PM
I supply car seats. We were told on one of the childminding courses(icp/dcp or ecp can't remember) moons ago when I minded before that If you use the parents car seat you cannot guarantee that they will fit it correctly in the car everyday- not to mention lugging them around is a pain. You also cannot tell if they have been in an accident and they may assure you that they haven't but they could be unsafe. They only way to guarantee it is to use your own. Also not all car seats fit safely in all cars.

For sleeping I have a travel cot for tinies and inflatable kiddie beds for older.

I had a lot of stuff, toys and equipment, on a wish list for my pre-reg inspection with OFSTED as there is no guarnatee that you will be registered and told the inspector this - she was happy with that and all my equipment was in place (not toys) when I started minding and then I increased resources as and when I could.

miffy
11-04-2008, 06:34 AM
Sarah's just had an action from her inspection about this... :eek:

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6924

I haven't heard of this either!

Think I would challenge it

miffy xx

crazybones
11-04-2008, 07:21 AM
I was warned by my Early Years co-ordinator to get one signed 2 days before my inspection as another childminder had been pulled on this at a recent inspection. Inspector made note that baby slept in accordance with the parents wishes.

littletreasures
11-04-2008, 08:13 AM
I have all my own car seats except for the rear facing ones. Parents bring the baby into the house in those.

I have 2 travel cots and readybed for children to sleep in and my own pushchairs.

littletreasures

SonnysMummy
11-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Where could i get those mats for children to sleep on?

Kelly:)

sarah707
11-04-2008, 11:39 AM
I have exercise mats... yoga ones I think they are. Not expensive, from Tesco if I remember :D

crazybones
11-04-2008, 12:07 PM
I got 2 roll up camping mats from Poundland last week. Not quite as thick as the ones my boys have for cub camp but a bargain.