PDA

View Full Version : is 22 months to young to potty train

nelly
28-10-2010, 05:49 AM
hi everyone,my ds is giving lots of signs hes ready but dont know if 22 months is to early.he tells me when hes done a number 2( most of the time) hes constantly pointing to his nappy saying wee wee n poo poo .dont want to start him to soon .

charlie potato
28-10-2010, 05:57 AM
he may very well be ready. Let your little boy lead you. I'd give it a go and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that hes not ready and you have to wait longer. Best case scenario is that he is and it will save you a fiver a week. xx :D

maisiemog
28-10-2010, 06:53 AM
I know a few LOs who have been ready that young, but plenty more who haven't been. My own dd was like that from about that age. She's 25mths now and we started the dreaded toilet training yesterday as I had the day off!

we have had a couple of accidents but she's picking up the idea really well and was quite upset when we put a nappy on her for sleeps so I think she was ready. I dont think she would have been when she first started showing the signs before her birthday.

Good Luck though...I must admit this is the one thing I have been truly dreading about being a parent!

mum2two
28-10-2010, 07:01 AM
DD1 was potty trained about that age, and took to it really well, and never really had any accidents. DS on the other hand, took to weeing on potty from 22 mths, but still (at 5) has issues pooing - and weeing as well now...

I would say he sounds ready, but don't push him too much.

x

buzzy bee
28-10-2010, 08:05 AM
i'm not an expert by any means so i'm just going by what i think... i reckon if he tells you before he does it then he's ready... i dont know if telling you afterwards is 100?% there... but nearly!! but i dont have a lkot of experience with it!

louised
28-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Both my DS and DD were toilet trained by 22 months, it depends on the individual child, the majority are not ready at this age but you know your child best and if you feel he is ready then go ahead and train him, if he's not ready you will soon find out as he will have lots of accidents, if this happens then you can stop and wait until he is ready, no harm done:)

Penny1959
28-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Agree with other posts if you think he is ready - give it a try.

My second dd was potty trained at 18 months - the health visitor did not believe me until she saw for herself!

However other 3 dd more average and around 2yrs.

Have potty trained lots and lots of mindees and always take lead from child - on occassion they have not been ready and so have just gone back to nappies for a week or two and watched for more signs that ready.

Good lick

Penny :)

snufflepuff
28-10-2010, 11:19 AM
My son is 20 months and although we are not potty training as such he does use the potty. If we are at home he doesn't wear a nappy and gets maybe 90% of his wees/ poos in the potty (usually takes himself there, sometimes says 'weewee' to let us know, sometimes if he hasn't used it in a while i'll ask if he needs to go). He still wears nappies everywhere else/ for naps etc. He can tell us in advance when he needs to go but not quite far enough in advance for us to get started properly.

I just keep it all very relaxed, if he has an accident I just deal with it and carry on. If he uses the potty he gets lots of praise and a sticker.

blue bear
28-10-2010, 12:39 PM
give it a go, keep it ralxed, I tend to start on a Monday and if by wednesday they are not asking at all then they are not ready and we stop and try again later.

sfox2003
28-10-2010, 12:52 PM
My daughter got the potty & said wee wee at 21 months. We took off her nappy & she did it on the potty. The next day at nursery they said dont look back, start it now she must be ready. Within a week she was dry in the day within 3 weeks she was dry at night too - AT 21 MONTHS!!!!

My advise - go for it.

Curly Quavers
28-10-2010, 03:16 PM
hi everyone,my ds is giving lots of signs hes ready but dont know if 22 months is to early.he tells me when hes done a number 2( most of the time) hes constantly pointing to his nappy saying wee wee n poo poo .dont want to start him to soon .

it depends on the individual child but if he is showing signs and you think he is ready then why not.

Chatterbox Childcare
28-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Sounds ready to me - give it a go and you will soon find out! :D

Zoomie
28-10-2010, 04:05 PM
i have a 23.75m mindee who has been using the potty randomly for a few weeks now.

we are being led by him, when he sees the potty in the bathroom he sometimes says wee wee, and then we take off nappy and he mostly makes a wee. nappy is still wet inbetween.

i would say the more signs they show, the better. my dd was 2y8m before finally trained her. she had been been showing signs since she was 2, but we took it really really slowly.