PDA

View Full Version : safegurading issue have i dont enough

welshcake
27-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Where do i start....

Family services contacted me to take on a single mum and her child on a shift rota. I had room and agreed to do it sayign it would have to be a minimum number of hours per week. The parent is young and visited her child was lovely settled well on the visit. went thru paper work etc and we agreed to colelct paperwork this morning. So i drove to the address and OMG she openned the front door and shocked would not even cover what i saw.:ohdear:

The child was clean but the house was a s:censored: tip, the floor was heavily stained with allsorts crayon marks everywhere, plates stacked on the floor with dried food clearly been there for days. Rubbish scattered amongst belongings of pants, bags, dirty clothes fag packets total dump site. She was clearly ashamed but made no effort to pick up the dirty plates. the kitchen was awfull dirty plates cups mouldy food you name it it was there. :eek:

Anyway she wanted the child to visit again and i suggested i take the child back to mine with her for an hour. whilst at mine it transpires the child is on the risk register and known to social services. they rang her whilst she was with me and she wanted me to talk to them so i did. they asked me about the child and i told them what i saw with teh consent from the parent who in my opinion is crying out for someone to help her.

I made it clear that i would still be happy to care for the child and was willing to work with other agencies for the best interest of the child but i felt the parent needed support NOW and that they should visit her home asap.

I took the parent home and agreed to collect the child again on friday, since that i wondered what i should do about what i saw, and what action i took so i typed everything out of what happened times etc and who i spoke to.

Have i done enough to cover myself ?
Where should i keep this 3 page evidence ?
any suggestions please as i have only been registered 2 months and what a start.

:panic:

sarah707
27-10-2010, 07:53 PM
If social services are already aware of the child and the situation then there's nothing more you can do or report it to.

I think that you have to hope that they go into action and support the mum sooner rather than later.

It sounds like she is in a bit of a pickle :(

Lou
27-10-2010, 08:15 PM
If Social Services are aware as Sarah says, there is no one else to report it to.

If they are aware of this child and the situation, they will have seen the state of the house and be aware of the situation, if the child is on the child protection register, then they will have to visit regularly and there will be a particular allocated social worker who will be very familiar with the case.

Mum seems to have been very open with you, i would ask for a name of social worker and then you can discuss any concerns you may have directly with them.

welshcake
27-10-2010, 08:21 PM
The child has a social worker and was on the child protection register up until recently. the child is only on the child in need register now, i spoke to her knew social worker with consent from mum and i asked if she had visited the premises she said no but another social worker had 7 months ago when she was put on the child protection register.

I made it clear that a visit was necessary.

Would you say i have done enough by documenting what i saw and who i spoke to to keep in my file and get the parent to sign a further permission form to say that i can talk to her social worker etc regarding the welfare and care of her child.

welshcake
27-10-2010, 09:11 PM
I have just written a permission slip for her to sign so i know i have covered all aspects of consent etc. fingers crossed this parent and issues dont come back to bite me in the a:censored:

Penny1959
28-10-2010, 04:24 AM
Think you have covered everything that you need to = if have any further concerns in future - document them AND either phone child's social worker if you know name and number - or if not the safeguarding board - so everything is logged by them.

As you say the Mum is crying out for help and hopefully with your support in issues relating to care of child (ie modelling good practise and discussions about development needs re safe environment) mum will be able to make positive changes at home.

Also may I say 'well done' on being happy to continue looking after child and not running away from a potenially difficult situation.

Penny :)

welshcake
28-10-2010, 06:43 AM
Think you have covered everything that you need to = if have any further concerns in future - document them AND either phone child's social worker if you know name and number - or if not the safeguarding board - so everything is logged by them.

As you say the Mum is crying out for help and hopefully with your support in issues relating to care of child (ie modelling good practise and discussions about development needs re safe environment) mum will be able to make positive changes at home.

Also may I say 'well done' on being happy to continue looking after child and not running away from a potenially difficult situation.

Penny :)

ah thank you Penny, i know many would of run after speaking to the person who passed her onto me it transpires i was suggested because of my background(9 yrs in child protection with police) so i guess we are a match made in heaven.

miffy
28-10-2010, 07:05 AM
In the interests of covering your back I'd put your concerns in writing to the new social worker, including that you think a visit is necessary. That way you have a record of what information you've passed on and when (with phone calls alone it's too easy to say "You never mentioned that" etc)

I also think it's great you're prepared to carry on working with this girl and her child.

Miffy xx

welshcake
28-10-2010, 07:11 AM
In the interests of covering your back I'd put your concerns in writing to the new social worker, including that you think a visit is necessary. That way you have a record of what information you've passed on and when (with phone calls alone it's too easy to say "You never mentioned that" etc)

I also think it's great you're prepared to carry on working with this girl and her child.

Miffy xx

Have done that and also want to know if a CAF is in place. I would presume so did an extra permission form for the parent to sign agreeing to the 3 seperate agencies working together for the best interest of the child.

Have mentioned also that the mother was covered in flea bites little things but if i mention everything that way I have done my best I do think however social services have failed her, hopefully now they will sit up and do something for the mum.

miffy
28-10-2010, 07:13 AM
Oh well done, that's great - just hope mum gets the help she needs sooner rather than later!

Miffy xx