PDA

View Full Version : please proof read my letter to parents about payments!!

jumpinjen
27-10-2010, 01:19 PM
hi guys, been having a few contractual issues recently and have put together this letter to give out to all parents.... please can some of you read it and comment on it for me?

thanks, Jen

Dear Parents,

I thought that I would write a letter to you all as there have been a couple of misunderstandings recently regarding contracts.

This information is on your contracts and on the ‘fees and charges’ sheet given to you recently but just to clarify:

If I am working then full fee is payable. This includes:
• If your child does not come because they are ill.
• If your child does not come because you are on holiday.
• If the day is a bank holiday but falls in your normal contracted days.
• If you take the day off work and don’t bring your child.

If I am unavailable for work due to holiday/ illness/ day off then you do not pay.

The reasons for this are that when you sign a contract you are booking a place for your child and the place has to be paid for. I cannot operate a ‘pay-per-day’ service as I simply cannot afford to with the small number of places that I have!

I organise activities, buy resources and toys, use petrol to take the children on days out etc as well as all the usual overheads of running a business such as business insurance for car and house, public liability insurance, registration with Ofsted, extra power and water charges, wear and tear on decoration and furnishings, buying good quality food……. the list goes on and on.

Although I do appreciate that money is tight, I am in the same position as you and as many childminders also charge half-fee when unavailable, and most nurseries charge full fee for 50 weeks of the year then I do believe that I am offering a fair and value-for-money service charging as I do, especially for those claiming childcare costs through tax credits, as tax credits are paid for every week regardless of whether you pay me or not!!

I hope that this clears up any misunderstanding you may have had and explains things clearly to you. If you have any concerns then please contact me to talk about it further.

Noomie
27-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Very clear and I may keep a copy for future use! :) :)

Only thing I can see is that you don't have to justify / explain why you charge this way (eg running of business costs, etc) so could leave that part out unless you want to keep it in there. I guess I'm just saying that all you have to say is what payments are expected and that's it really.

I can't believe parents think they can make up their own rules all the time. Hope your letter sorts it.

bexcee
27-10-2010, 02:22 PM
I think it's great, to the point and fair. Well done and I hope the parents now don't have any excuses!

little chickee
27-10-2010, 02:34 PM
I think that is all very good. Clear and to the point. Hope it makes a difference.

Do you charge extra if you work on a bank holiday ( just in case you need to mention that too.)

jumpinjen
27-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks guys, yes I do charge extra for BH's if I work them so I will put that in, and i do see what you mean about not having to justify my charges but the excuses that i have had relate so much to what they have to pay for that i thought a timely reminder about all my costs might silence them (one can only hope!!) please do keep a copy for use if you want!!

jen x

oneofeach
27-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Wow, well put and good for you!

Hope it work

Goatgirl
27-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Hi :),
I think its a great letter, very clear and to the point.
Reading your list of costs is making want to write one out, including training and paperwork we have to do which is unpaid, and put it on the notice board... :thumbsup:
Just a few suggestions below, but only my opinion, so feel free to ignore :)

bws,
Wendy

hi guys, been having a few contractual issues recently and have put together this letter to give out to all parents.... please can some of you read it and comment on it for me?

thanks, Jen

Dear Parents,

I thought that I would write a letter to you all as there have been a couple of misunderstandings recently regarding contracts.

This information is on your contracts and on the ‘fees and charges’ sheet given to you recently but just to clarify:

If I am available to work then full fee is payable. This includes:

If I am unavailable for work due to holiday/ illness/ day off then you do not pay.

The reasons for this are that when you sign a contract you are booking a place for your child and the place has to be paid for. I cannot operate a ‘pay-per-day’ service as I simply cannot afford to with the small number of places that I have! (the exclamation mark may make this seem a little too 'shouty' IMO)
I organise activities, buy resources and toys, use petrol to take the children on days out etc as well as all the usual overheads of running a business such as business insurance for car and house, public liability insurance, registration with Ofsted, extra power and water charges, wear and tear on decoration and furnishings, buying good quality food……. the list goes on and on.

Although I do appreciate that money is tight, I am in the same position as you and as many childminders also charge half-fee when unavailable, and most nurseries charge full fee for 50 weeks of the year then I do believe that I am offering a fair and value-for-money service charging as I do, especially for those claiming childcare costs through tax credits, as tax credits are paid for every week regardless of whether you pay me or not!! (I'd lose the exclamation marks again) Also not sure I'd refer to the tax credits situation in writing as this could seem to be pointing the finger at certain parents and therefore as discrimination...
I hope that this clears up any misunderstanding you may have had and explains things clearly to you. If you have any concerns then please contact me to talk about it further.

jumpinjen
27-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks Wendy, good points taken on board.... I know that all my parents claim for credit so isn't singling anyone out and i have hummed and haad about putting it in at all, but it irks me that they tell me all the things they do and buy then stall about paying!! probably a good reason not to put it in if i'm putting it in cos it irks me..... what do you think??

jen x

Goatgirl
27-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks Wendy, good points taken on board.... I know that all my parents claim for credit so isn't singling anyone out and i have hummed and haad about putting it in at all, but it irks me that they tell me all the things they do and buy then stall about paying!! probably a good reason not to put it in if i'm putting it in cos it irks me..... what do you think??

jen x

:) Hmm.. It is very annoying when you know they're getting the bulk paid for and still giving you grief. I'd still be inclined to leave it out myself as I think the rest of the letter is strong enough without it.
Maybe you could say something like.... I believe it is possible to obtain payments for holiday weeks etc from tax credits should you be eligible, (as though you've vaguely heard this..) For further information call...

That way they'll probably just be a bit embarrassed about it, hope you don't investigate further and if you have a further problem or someone makes a comment in relation to being unable to pay etc, you can say face to face that you looked into it and have found out they are paid regardless. But verbally.
It could just be me: I'm always ultra careful what I put in writing as it could come back and bite me later...

Only you can decide! :thumbsup:

jumpinjen
27-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks.... very good advice! :D

jumpinjen
29-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Here is my final draft...... and well-timed as i had another text message last night from a third family, telling me that i won't be required for three weeks in December so that saves them some money!!!! And on top of that in a conversation at drop off (me taking child back to her) she told me that after she's paid 'the childminder' then her tax credits don't go far!!!! grrrrrrr :mad: I was standing there in front of her!!!!! What is it with my parents this week??!! Well I've put all letters in envelops and off to post them in ten mins as i'm now off til monday and don't want to be worrying about it over the weekend! Thanks for your advice!

Dear Parents,

If I am available to work then full fee is payable. This includes:
• If you send your child elsewhere and don’t bring them to me.

The reasons for this are that when you sign a contract you are booking a place for your child and the place has to be paid for. I cannot operate a ‘pay-per-day’ service as I simply cannot afford to with the small number of places that I have.

I organise activities, buy resources and toys, use petrol to take the children on days out etc as well as all the usual overheads of running a business such as business insurance for car and house, public liability insurance, registration with Ofsted, extra power and water charges, wear and tear on decoration and furnishings, buying good quality food, training, stationary, printing photos, ……. the list goes on and on.

Although I do appreciate that money is tight, I am in the same position as you and as many childminders also charge half-fee when unavailable, and most nurseries charge full fee for 50 weeks of the year then I do believe that I am offering a fair and value-for-money service charging as I do. I believe that it is possible to claim costs for holiday weeks from Child Tax Credits if you are eligible. Please call them to check.

little chickee
29-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Spot on!:thumbsup:

Goatgirl
29-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Awesome :thumbsup:
hope they actually get the message now. Still, even if they don't I guess they will when they recieve their next lot of invoices :D

Have a totally chilled weekend,
bws,
Wendy :)

jumpinjen
29-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks all.... after a series of heated texts from one parent today (via text... so as heated as it gets!!!) I have sent all letters by recorded mail, hang the expense I'm just so fed up of it. I explain very clearly at contract signing day and initial visits how my fee structure works, I then read through the whole contract exactly what it says and why.... I even write out the payment when I'm available bit in addition to the section with the fees payable. I then sent them all an update at the beginning of October with it in black and white for them to sign and return (all returned, all refused my offer of a meeting to discuss it) attached was my fees and charges policy and list. so I just don't get their lack of understanding...... feeling very uncharitable at the moment (hey I'm NOT A CHARITY so not surprising!!) and determined to not think about it over the weekend!! grrrrr

jen x