PDA

View Full Version : Why, does mum send an adult size sandwich

ajs
27-10-2010, 10:47 AM
which she knows her dd won't eat but then leave it to me to deal with her daughter

i have a policy of if it's on your plate you eat it. i have only put half of the sandwich on her plate and nothing else. She knows she has crisps and .
yoghurt for afters but i am not allowing them until she's finished the sandwich

i have looked after this child for 4 yrs in january and mum knows my attitude to food and i will not allows this nearly 4 yr old to beat me

but tell me why do i really care. ultimutely she's not mine and therefore her future table manners are not my problem but i just cannot bare to give in to it

Rain or Shine
27-10-2010, 10:53 AM
I totally agree with you, its your house and its your rules.

My daughter is 15 months old and she eats all her dinner give or take a few mouthfuls or she doesn't get anything else.

You can always tell who at home lets them get away with anything and you can also tell who sets you up for problems. Maybe they want us to feel useless.

I'd continue with my way when she was in my house just to show that i have rules and boundaries and that i would like them to be followed. I'd worry also if i gave in to her eating habbits that she might think i'm a push over and test me in other areas.

Good luck

ORKSIE
27-10-2010, 11:42 AM
If you know she wont eat all the sandiwich, then just give her what you know she will eat.....put the rest back in the packlunch box.
When she's eaten that she can have the rest of her packed Lunch.

Thats what I would do :thumbsup:

Good luck
xx

The Juggler
27-10-2010, 12:29 PM
i agree, give her the smaller, child sized portion hon then give her the treats if she eats it all.:)

SaijaM
27-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Maybe give the dd half and you eat the other half, if it's a nice sandwich that is? :laughing:

I totally agree with you though, your house your rules.
My dd has to finish her food too before getting any dessert. I think it's the best way forward. Otherwise all they want is dessert..

xx Saija

Penny1959
27-10-2010, 01:02 PM
I had child with most difficult eating habits which I have now overcome.

I agree with you its you house rule and so you should not BE SEEN to give in - however you need to give this child the opportunity to suceed and to stop the battle of wills.

With my mindee I made sure she did not see me cut the sandwich into very small pieces (this was a 3 year old - so sandwich in half and then each half into 3 fingers) I gave her just one finger - cut in half - so could be popped in the mouth. I then choose the most healthy other thing in her luch box and put that in the middle of the table so she could see it.

I stuck to my rule and she had to eat the piece of sandwich on her plate and then she could have the treat from the middle of the table. The first day she just sat there - and had to stay there until everyone else finished AND I had washed up. Second day - while I was washing up and had my back to her - the sandwich was eaten - so she got the treat and lots of praise.

From then on I gradually increase the size of piece of sandwich - so a quarter sandwich next - then 3 fingers (ie half the sandwich).

Wishing you good luck - no matter what you try (some other good ideas on here that you may feel would work better for you)

Penny :)

Playmate
27-10-2010, 02:03 PM
does she have a sandwich everyday? maybe you could ask her to vary what goes in her lunch. I know my children certainly wouldn't eat sandwiches every day and if I'm honest neither would I :( must admit thats one of the reasons I still provide all food, they get variety and I can issue portions that I know they will eat :D

clio0602
27-10-2010, 02:44 PM
My dd has just started eating a few spoonsful of food then pushing it away and asking for something else :mad: She used to eat everything and anything but now watches the others and copies.

I am just about to change my policy as ds 9yrs is terrible eater and I don't want her going the same way.

I think mum needs to think about the portion size and I'd keep sending leftovers home surely mum won't want all that waste every day and might get the hint?! x