PDA

View Full Version : Is it usual?

MissTinkerbell
27-10-2010, 08:32 AM
I've just had a phone call for someone claiming to be from tax office in Washington - didn't give me his name but said that he was following up some information in childcare and believed that I looked after children.

He then went on to say that he wanted some information on two children that I looked after. I said that I didn't have parental permission to give out information on the children I looked after to anyone other than health professionals; Ofsted and other settings.

He then asked me if he could give me the details and could I confirm them. Once again I refused and he said could he then send me the details in a letter and I confirm it that way.

I've never had anything like this before and am wondering if its genuine? Have any of you had a similar phone call. I can't get speak to the parents about this at the moment as they are on holidays but will be following it up next week when they return to see if they know anything about it.

georgie456
27-10-2010, 08:38 AM
I never heard this - you did completely the right thing in refusing to give out confidential information. It will be interesting to see if anything does come through the post.

Mollymop
27-10-2010, 08:45 AM
I've never heard of this either. Doesn't sound genuine to me at all. If it were tax office they wouldn't ask for any personal questions about the children but would ask you the parents names and address I would have thought
If in doubt do nowt:)

Hebs
27-10-2010, 08:47 AM
yes it is normal, and there IS a tax office in Washington (just up the road from me, they are the office that lost the files not so long ago!)

i will say a yes or no to the names of the children, anything more like contracted times/fees etc i ask to be put in writing

HTH :D

rickysmiths
27-10-2010, 08:48 AM
I've just had a phone call for someone claiming to be from tax office in Washington - didn't give me his name but said that he was following up some information in childcare and believed that I looked after children.

He then went on to say that he wanted some information on two children that I looked after. I said that I didn't have parental permission to give out information on the children I looked after to anyone other than health professionals; Ofsted and other settings.

He then asked me if he could give me the details and could I confirm them. Once again I refused and he said could he then send me the details in a letter and I confirm it that way.

I've never had anything like this before and am wondering if its genuine? Have any of you had a similar phone call. I can't get speak to the parents about this at the moment as they are on holidays but will be following it up next week when they return to see if they know anything about it.

I would have definately listened to this, but I wouldn't have confirmed anything. I would have just said 'how interesting!'! I would have been interested to hear what infor he had and where he had got it from.

What details could the tax office have we don't send them any? Was it Tax Credits checking up?

I would have asked for his name, job title and phone number and said you would check it out and phone back. Did you do a 1471 on your phone to get a number? I wouldn't give out info without knowing who it was either.

Hebs
27-10-2010, 08:48 AM
I've never heard of this either. Doesn't sound genuine to me at all. If it were tax office they wouldn't ask for any personal questions about the children but would ask you the parents names and address I would have thought
If in doubt do nowt:)

they do but we dont have to give any information over the phone :thumbsup:

Andrea08
27-10-2010, 08:57 AM
I would have definately listened to this, but I wouldn't have confirmed anything. I would have just said 'how interesting!'! I would have been interested to hear what infor he had and where he had got it from.

What details could the tax office have we don't send them any? Was it Tax Credits checking up?

I would have asked for his name, job title and phone number and said you would check it out and phone back. Did you do a 1471 on your phone to get a number? I wouldn't give out info without knowing who it was either.

just what i was going to say i also go a call a few yrs ago and i said the same and they did write to me "on headded paper" i showed parents and they confirmed it was from their college and i could reply to it. its a good thing that there is spot checks but they shouldn't do it by phone.
well done you x

Pixie dust
27-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Yes tax credits are checking on a lot of people claiming the childcare element making sure what they say they pay is correct. I had this last month and asked for it to be sent in writing which they did. The person on the phone was fine when I said I wasn't happy discussing it over the phone. They asked me to confirm I provided childcare for the children and how much was the weekly fees.

Pixie dust

rickysmiths
27-10-2010, 08:59 AM
they do but we dont have to give any information over the phone :thumbsup:

But Hebs the tax office don't have or need name,address or personnal details of the individual children we care for.

I have never in 16yrs been asked for any such info. All they are interested in or need is our income. Even when they came and looked at my books all they saw was a name against the record the parents had signed confirming what they pay me each month. Again, all they were interested in was income and expenditure not the full details of the children.

Just the same way Ofsted are entitled to check we hold full records for the children we care for but are not entitled do see any info with regard to what we charge our parents or our accounts, apart from eveidence that we are registered self-employed.

mum2two
27-10-2010, 09:07 AM
But Hebs the tax office don't have or need name,address or personnal details of the individual children we care for.

I have never in 16yrs been asked for any such info. All they are interested in or need is our income. Even when they came and looked at my books all they saw was a name against the record the parents had signed confirming what they pay me each month. Again, all they were interested in was income and expenditure not the full details of the children.

Just the same way Ofsted are entitled to check we hold full records for the children we care for but are not entitled do see any info with regard to what we charge our parents or our accounts, apart from eveidence that we are registered self-employed.

It's not the tax office, but tax credits. I have had it once. They want to confirm that parents are paying us what they're telling them they're paying us so they aren't getting too much money.

You did the right thing not giving out info over the phone. I expect the letter will want you to confirm you care for said children, said hours & x amount per week.

All very normal, and Tax credits are perfectly entitled to check it out.

x

MissTinkerbell
27-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Did you do a 1471 on your phone to get a number? I wouldn't give out info without knowing who it was either.

The number was witheld.

If it is genuine I shall wait for the letter..just wasn't happy giving info about other people out over the phone.

Mouse
27-10-2010, 10:20 AM
It sounds genuine to me. It's a call to check that what the parents have told tax credits about their childcare costs are true.

I've only ever been called twice and have asked them to put it in writing to me, which they have done. It's partly because I won't give out info over the phone & partly because I don't usually have time to stand discussing it!

I'm glad to see it's happening more & more often. When tax credits first came in we were told that childcare providers would be contacted whenever a parent put in a claim. Unfortunately that never happened, hence the number of false claims going undetected.

sweets
27-10-2010, 12:02 PM
i had a call from tax credits yesterday checking up on what a set of parents pay me. they asked me if i looked after (they then named the 2 children) and asked me how much they paid me a week. i told them this info but i think if they had asked for any more details i would have asked for it in writing but as it was just the weekly amount i didn't see a problem in telling them.

maisiemog
27-10-2010, 02:21 PM
I've had a few phone calls to check as well and also a letter asking me to confirm in writing. The letter had the children's dates of births on and full names so they do have all that sort of info on it.

Hebs
27-10-2010, 02:30 PM
It's not the tax office, but tax credits. I have had it once. They want to confirm that parents are paying us what they're telling them they're paying us so they aren't getting too much money.

You did the right thing not giving out info over the phone. I expect the letter will want you to confirm you care for said children, said hours & x amount per week.

All very normal, and Tax credits are perfectly entitled to check it out.

x

yes your right it is the tax credits office and it is based in washington alongside the child benefit office :thumbsup:

MissTinkerbell
27-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Actually just realised why they might have phoned...children started back with me on 1st Sept and we've just redone contracts for 1st Nov when mum is dropping her hours so will probably have notified a change in rpoviders in September and then a change in hours/fees for Nov so they're probably checking she is genuine:laughing:

buildingblocks
27-10-2010, 03:42 PM
It sounds like as everyone has said its tax credits. A couple of years ago they would send out letters on a frequent basis and check up on things. I think it is wrong of them to phone for the information.

If they ring me I certainly won't be telling them anything over the phone mainly because how can you ever guarantee it is them. Someone said they had the names of the children but at the end of the day anyone who knows he family could have that information. Admittedly they wouldn't have a reason for ringing to find out how much you were charging but I don't think I would risk it.

I think I would just state as has been said that due to confidentiality it would have to be done in writing and I would need to check with the parents. The sad thing is they only ever seem to check up on the genuine parents and never the ones who should be caught.

sarah707
27-10-2010, 05:07 PM
I welcome calls from tax credits because it means that they are checking up on fraud.

I will answer to a name and an amount - more than that and I want it in writing.

At the end of the day they are a Govt body and have the right to request information just like Ofsted and the tax office.

It does worry me though when they ring - I suppose it's quicker than putting it in writing, especially if people do not reply but it's quite personal info too.

:D

charlie potato
27-10-2010, 06:58 PM
You have a voice on the end of phone and you dont know who you're speaking to. An official letter is best for all concerned and they shouldnt be offended being asked to pop a letter in the post. xx:)

Hebs
27-10-2010, 07:34 PM
i know its a bit OTT but it could have been a father trying to find out where his children are being cared for, esp if they ask for days the children attend

best really to ask for it in writing or say you will ring them back to confirm details

charlie potato
27-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Thats what i thought when i read it. Sort of thing my violent ex would do. xx :censored:

Hebs
27-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Thats what i thought when i read it. Sort of thing my violent ex would do. xx :censored:

mine too :thumbsup:

karen m
27-10-2010, 08:42 PM
i had a call a few weeks back asking about what a parent a parent was paying and when i had started looking after b already look after her brother mum had been claiming for extra 7 months full time hours for both b had been with me 3 weeks brother 3 years but on part-time hours,the nerve of some parents

Lincsminder
27-10-2010, 09:27 PM
I think they are going to be checking on every one who pays more than £170 a week in child care so expect more phone calls.

jacey
27-10-2010, 09:50 PM
This happened to me with a new family, who are using me as well as another provider. The parents told me their claim was being "investigated by tax credits" so the call was expected when it came.