PDA

View Full Version : everything in the mouth?

terrydoo73
26-10-2010, 02:56 PM
What age do children stop putting everything into their mouths? I feel like a broken record at the moment saying "not in the mouth" or putting the hand up to prevent them biting another toy etc.

little chickee
26-10-2010, 04:19 PM
i start to encourage not putting things in mouths at about 21/22 months. I feel by this age they dont neccesarily need to put things into their mouths to "explore" things.

Although i have cared for 5 yo's who still put everything into there mouths.

I def think by the time they are 2 they are old enough to not need to do this much or at all.

Baby toys covered in dribble are one thing but as they get older and play with more age appropiate toys i dont want every last thing covered in saliva.

sarah707
26-10-2010, 04:59 PM
I think as they are pushing 2 they should be able to understand that toys can be explored in other ways.

however I have cared like little chickee for children aged 5 and older who are very sensory children and will stroke and then mouth toys.

I try to offer them appropriate toys to chew rather than the negative experience of don't do it. :D

gegele
26-10-2010, 05:04 PM
my daughter is nearly 5 and as soon as she concentrate on something ie tv. a story.....she will put whatever she has in her hands in mouth!!! if she listening around....waiting to get out of the car toc her drawing is in her mush.... aaaarrrggghhhhhh:mad:

if she has nothing in her hands she'll bite her nails if i tell her to stop she does her toes nails!!!:D