PDA

View Full Version : doctors note!

charliegee
26-10-2010, 01:59 PM
hey all just wondering if you guys could help

as childminders are we able to ask that a child doesn't attend until they have a doctors certificate (not sure if that is right term?!) to say they are not infectious if they have something like a rash which we're not sure what it is?

how would it work if we charge if child ill but no charge if we're ill

(ie could parent argue that child is fine - no need for a doctors note - so won't pay fees if we "exclude"?!)

sorry for rambling post but was wondering what peoples thoughts were - does anyone ask for doctors notes at all?

x

bexcee
26-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Our local doctors charge for notes so that certainly wouldn't go down very well here!

loobyloo168
26-10-2010, 02:04 PM
If a child is ill, i charge half fees anyway as long as i have been notified of the abscence the night before otheriwse i charge full fees.

Iv never heard of a childs sick note though xx

charliegee
26-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Our local doctors charge for notes so that certainly wouldn't go down very well here!

mmm I think ours round here do too

....just getting annoyed about trying to control infection and parents being not exactly forthcoming with information.:(

Don't think we could ask parents for a doctors note if they would be charged though:huh:

I don't know...am having a confused day!:laughing:

Erika
26-10-2010, 07:49 PM
A Doctor is not obliged under their NHS contract to provide a fit note (MED3) for a child as fit notes are solely for advisory purposes in respect of claiming social security, when an adult is either unfit for work, or fit for work when taking the restrictions of their incapacity into account.

Because it is not within the remit of their NHS contract it falls under the remit of private practice and is therefore down to the GP Practice if they provide an alternative form of "fit note". They can refuse, or they can agree to write an alternative fit note but charge for it - the charges can be excessive, not least because they are taking up an NHS appointment space in order to examine the child prior to issuing the note.

Some GP's wouldn't have a problem doing this for free but other practices can be quite stringent in that either they won't do it, or they'll charge.

It may be something worth raising with your development officer, or NMCA/SMCA if you use them.

The Juggler
27-10-2010, 07:55 AM
if I suspected a child was infectious I would ask the parent for the doctors diagnosis. You can then check online whether that illness is classed as excludable or not in line with WHO guidelines.