PDA

View Full Version : Is a virual infection (EARS AND THROAT) still contagious when started anti-biotics?

Fabby
26-10-2010, 09:55 AM
As the title says really. Can someone clarify for me please? I still think it could be because how would you know it has cleared up unless the full course has been taken. This is his 2nd day on anti-biotics.

cuffleygirl
26-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Are you sure you've been told the full story here - doctors don't normally prescribe antibiotics for virus?

Think it would depend on the initial symptoms reason for illness, and whether the child is now well enough to be in your setting?

Andrea08
26-10-2010, 10:03 AM
hi, can i just say i am ill in bed because a mindee arrived at my settin after mum said "He not been sick so hes ok....." well there not it should be at least 48hrs AFTER last sickness or bad nappy ...

its 48hrs with schools and other settings and to be safe i would say ring Dr. and ask but ist not fare on others esp little babies to get these nasty bugs.

its all around atm every school, town n city is ill with bugs

xxx

Fabby
26-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Ive just got a text to say that he now has a viral infection and now on anti-biotics. She says he seems better himself today and is happy for him to come tomorrow. I am not happy for him to come tomorrow though if it is contagious. I have just googled it and it says that viral infections are very much contagious. I dont know what to do.

snufflepuff
26-10-2010, 10:11 AM
I always thought GP's didn't give antibiotics for viral infections, only bacterial infections. Or have I got that round the wrong way?

gigglinggoblin
26-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Anti biotics wont kill a virus but he might have both a viral infection and a bacterial infection (which would be what the antibiotics will sort) at the same time. What is the illness? Would depend on how he is whether I would let him come back, which kind of depends on what is wrong with him

Fabby
26-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Hes been having a bad chest constantly on and off for the past couple of months but this is a viral infection in his ears and throat. They had to take him to the emergancy doctors on sunday night through out the night because his tremperatire was so high and this is the outcome of that visit. I have other children here you see and dont want them to catch it. Plus we have a responsibilty to try and avoid these situations best as possible dont we. She has just text to say that she cn arrange with gran to have him. I just feel awful still asking for fees ........

Fabby
26-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Anyon got any more advice for me parent has been on the phone x

em29
26-10-2010, 11:12 AM
I usually say that 48 hrs of anti-biotics and IF the child is back to NORMAL eating and drinking with no temperature - then they can return as they will have got over the virus and are just waiting for the antibiotics to clear up any bacterial infection. :)

Andrea08
26-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Anyon got any more advice for me parent has been on the phone x

ok hun question for ya DO YOU WANT TO BE ILL? DO YOU WANT ANY OF YOUR FAMILY TO BE ILL? DO YOU WANT ANY OF THE OTHER MINDEES TO BE ILL?

if the answer is yes then take this child bk
if you have your head on the right way round ring this woman and tell her to keep child off for the week and to ring you bk friday as to his attendance next monday...

trust me i wish i had put my foot down but this woman turned up at my door with lies and a health cheque .. now im paying the price as all my family are in bed with buckets ..

sending (((huggz))) do the right thing hun JUST SAY NO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Fabby
26-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks everyone
And Andrea, really hope you feel better soon. Least you have a learnt a lesson - a big one bless ya xxxxxxxxxxxx

VINASOL
26-10-2010, 11:42 AM
I always thought GP's didn't give antibiotics for viral infections, only bacterial infections. Or have I got that round the wrong way?

That's definitely the case. Anti-biotics will not clear up viral infections, just bacterial infections, so unless she's mis-heard she's not giving the whole story.

Some viral infections can last for weeks though :panic: My DS had a parvovirus which knocked him out for a whole week and took six weeks for him to return to normal!xx

Fabby
26-10-2010, 02:32 PM
As far as i am aware he has a viral infection infecting is ears and throat and is on a course of anti-biotics. I called my doctors to ask for advice to see if contagious and he has said that viral infections are very much contagious. I have cancelled him tomorrow.

CHEEKY BEE
26-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Hi, and glad u got it sorted.

There is a really useful document on the Health Protection Agency website regarding illnesses, and times children should stay away from childcare settings.

I think it is also on the forum downloads list.

Also, my understanding is that a virus is contagious, cos that is how they are spread.

:)

onceinabluemoon
26-10-2010, 06:47 PM
All the people who have said antibiotics are not given for viruses are spot on. In an ideal word doctors wouldn't prescribe antibiotics for a viral infection.

The mother may be confusing with antibiotics and antivirals. Antivirals such as acyclovir (or ganciclovir and valciclovir) are very occasionally given to slow down the viruses multiplication rate to give the body time to fight it off. (for example acyclovir is used for herpes - cold sores etc).

I would personally ask the parent to wait until the child is better as if you get it you'll have to close and then (presumably) lose your income.

The Juggler
27-10-2010, 07:57 AM

they don't. you get anti-virals for a virus and anti-biotics for bacterial infections.

I would ask her to please clarify which it is with doctor. Normally children are back to themselves after 24/48 hours on medicine so I would probably have them back after that unless highly contagious.

FussyElmo
27-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Did he go to the emergency doctors around here Fabby.

It used to be a standing joke that your own doctor wouldnt give you anti biotics but if you went to the emergency doctors they would.

So Mum may actually be telling the truth.