PDA

View Full Version : Number with an assistant

mum2two
10-04-2008, 04:34 PM
When I spoke to ofsted, they said I could potentially double my numbers when working with an assistant. He said he'd put a request through. Called a week later, and the request hadn't been done, so she'd do it. Called Mon, no response back, would get the person dealing with it to call me back. I called today to be told the request cannot be done over the phone I needed to write in.... Arrrrrggggghhhhh :angry: Ofsted - why???

Anyway, I've done that now. It's just I went onto the ofsted site & looked up other childminders, as I know one has no kids, & works with another childminder, so was looking at their numbers. Even working together they are only still allowed 6 under 8's. All 6 can be under 5, and 2 under 1. Now I'm worried I won't get my increase in numbers.

It's all very well having more under 5, but I'm already up to my numbers, & I'm not dropping people.

Just wondered those of you that work with others, what numbers have you got? Just as a guide to work from...

The other childminder has a similar size house to me (as I know that can affect it.) A 3 bed semi. Lounge, kitchen diner, decent size garden & my upstairs registered too. If that helps.

Kelly x

sarah707
10-04-2008, 05:05 PM
I think it varies depending on the size of your house / garden and the amount of experience you have... they judge every case differently. :D

Amaranth
10-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Hi Kelly,
I work with my hubby and we can have 9 children under 8 at any one time when we work together (plus our own daughter). Of those 9 we can have no more than 6 under 5 and no more than 2 under 1. Our house isn't huge. Hope you manage to get the dreaded ofsted sorted out, they have been winding me up recently too. :angry:

Pauline
10-04-2008, 08:24 PM
We can have 8 under eigths, six under 5 and two under 1

mum2two
11-04-2008, 07:42 AM
That's what I was thinking. Well, advised on the phone - 8 under 8.

It's just I got worried when I saw the other 2 childminders working together could only still have 6.

Will give them a call again, as we've had an enquiry for 15 mth old twins.

Kelly x

cloud9
22-04-2008, 05:04 PM
When I spoke to ofsted, they said I could potentially double my numbers when working with an assistant. He said he'd put a request through. Called a week later, and the request hadn't been done, so she'd do it. Called Mon, no response back, would get the person dealing with it to call me back. I called today to be told the request cannot be done over the phone I needed to write in.... Arrrrrggggghhhhh :angry: Ofsted - why???

Anyway, I've done that now. It's just I went onto the ofsted site & looked up other childminders, as I know one has no kids, & works with another childminder, so was looking at their numbers. Even working together they are only still allowed 6 under 8's. All 6 can be under 5, and 2 under 1. Now I'm worried I won't get my increase in numbers.

It's all very well having more under 5, but I'm already up to my numbers, & I'm not dropping people.

Just wondered those of you that work with others, what numbers have you got? Just as a guide to work from...

The other childminder has a similar size house to me (as I know that can affect it.) A 3 bed semi. Lounge, kitchen diner, decent size garden & my upstairs registered too. If that helps.

Kelly x

When i looked into it with my hubby i had the exact same thing with ofsted with calls and then needing it in writing! I was also told my numbers would double so we went ahead with it all but instead registered my hubby in his own right rather than as a assistant. However after all the expense of health forms and registration fee's when the inspector came for his pre-registration visit she only increased my numbers by 2 so we decided it wasn't worth while. The vary the numbers depending on room and experience and to be quite honest i think it varies depending on your inspector.

mum2two
23-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Well I've spoken to the inspector & she has increased me to 8 under 8. In that 4 under 4 & 2 under 1.

I also asked her about when dh is registered in his own right, how our own two kids count in both our numbers. She said we'll both be registered for 4 on our own, but it'll be worded somehow (can't remember how she put it), that basically when working together, we can have 10 under 8's as only one of us will be responsible for our own children.

Not sure I could have 10 in the house, plus the 2 over 8's I look after... :panic: 8 is fine, money wise too...

Kelly x

jaja
23-04-2008, 10:25 AM
thats good then xxxx

brillminder
06-05-2008, 07:39 PM
it seems evey body always get told different :) i have 5 under 5 with an assistant and alarge enough home

Hannahlg
28-05-2008, 09:54 AM
im my mums assistant

we are reigested for 8 under 8s 5 of these can be under 5 years

we can have 6 under 5 years but we decide on 5 under 5s as we have a seven seat car and WHEN i pass my dving test e would be able to take all 5 out in the car if had six we couldnt would have to walk and bus it.