PDA

View Full Version : No Heating, No hot Water!!!!

claire'scherubs
25-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Now please don't laugh as some of you may know that DH is a plumber, however, the heating has packed up. :blush:
He is so busy that as always we come last as we don't pay, plus its a rented property so why should he do it when its landlord's responsibility and they couldn't even be bothered to service the boiler and only safety inspected because I asked them to.

So really the question is if he can't get it going again tonight when he finally gets home, should I be closing or asking parents to dress the kids warmly???

Tinglesnark
25-10-2010, 06:33 PM
oh no! nightmare!
well will it affect you all adversley? will you need hot water to wash up, clean etc tomorrow or will you boil up the kettle for that?
i dont think it will be a huge deal - maybe ask the parents to send packed lunches if they dont already? save your washing up x hope it fixes soon x

ChocolateChip
25-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Think there has to be a minimum temperature, pretty sure I read somewhere that it has to be 16c for active occupation and 18 for sedentary occupation, i.e. sleeping babies.
So if your house is colder than that you may have to close :(

Funny enough my heating wouldn't work this morning either, luckily had already planned to go out for the day and oh cane home at lunch time and got it going, something to do with the pilot light :panic:
Needless to say I have just signed up to British Gas Homecare :D
Can you do something similar, I know your hubby is a plumber but so is one of our friends and he has aswell 'cos it's cheaper for him to get them out than to lose out on work time. British Gas do a landlord scheme, could you persuade yours to get this, or get him to knock rent off if your hubby fixes it? Sure he has a responsibility to get it sorted asap.

Playmate
25-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Poor you :( I worked several times last winter without hot water and heating. just ask for warm clothes and use the excuse to go out for lunch :D

angeldelight
25-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Brrrr

Hope you are running around to keep warm

Really feel for you we had the same problem last year

Why is it always freezing outside when the heating packs in ?

Hope you get it sorted asap

Angel xx

mushpea
25-10-2010, 06:56 PM
our heating packed in last year when we had the snow on the ground in january,,, i gave the parents the choice wether to send the kids or not and if they didnt i didnt charge. think one send him and the others didnt. i thought we didnt have hot water then after 3 days of cold water i found out we could have had hot water as we have an emersion switch!!

sue m
25-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Oh no Claire!!!!! I hope he fixes it before he comes to do mine!!!! Mine is working at least. Fingers crossed!! As you say though, it is the landlord's responsibility. Good luck x

claire'scherubs
25-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Well bless him, he got my message as he turned into the drive and then drove straight out to get a new pump from B&Q, cost a fortune!!!! We will have to have the arguement with the landlord tomorrow, so fingers crossed I will be warm and cosy again in about an hour.
Thanks for the advice everyone, I think if B&Q hadn't been open until 9pm tonight, then would have definately had to shut as it was freezing, all my halloween cooking for the party tomorrow would have been for nothing:(

miffy
25-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Hope he's able to fix it for you!:thumbsup:

Miffy xx

sue m
25-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Ah, I said he was a nice bloke Claire didn't I! :laughing: Hope you're nice and warm soon.

LOOPYLISA
25-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Snap hubs is a plumber our tap has been dripping for months !!!

Pipsqueak
25-10-2010, 08:36 PM
I am sorry Claire but I did do a double take on your title and then I have had a giggle!

Murphys Law huh!

Just glad he got it sorted.:clapping:

ditto to my home - all our jobs come last - I have a half finished house all the time.:rolleyes:

claire'scherubs
25-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Snap hubs is a plumber our tap has been dripping for months !!!

Isn't it typical....always the last job on their list lol x

Latest update!!!! DS now gone to sleep in my bed as Dad is in and out of his bedroom to the loft!!!! New pump fitted but valves now need replacing as they are leaking EVERYWHERE due to their age, so whole system now has to be drained down:eek: :eek: Can see it being a late night tonight.

The upside is, now managed to have a HOT bath all snuggled under blankets, think the cats must be feeling cold too as they have all curled up around me

Roseolivia
26-10-2010, 07:24 AM
My partner is a builder and built our house and there's still loads of jobs need doing e.g door handles fixing

mama2three
26-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Could you ladies with hubby plumbers ask them why my overflow drips everytime my heating comes on? It blipping annoying at 615am right outside my bedroom window!

Glad you got it sorted though , hope you have no problem with the landlord x