PDA

View Full Version : Traveling Ted

Hayley102
25-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi

I would like to set up a special teddy for my setting that could be a mixture of a Traveling ted and one that can stay and explore some of the activities we do as well. I think I have seen another thread about traveling teds but can't find it. Any suggestions for resources and activities to use it with? Thanks

Pauline
25-10-2010, 03:41 PM
I've got a Jofli bear and did a review here: http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/productreviews.html#Jofli

Quite a few members have travelling bears, Angel will send hers out to members who want to have him visit, there is a thread pinned in the Lounge about it.

They are a great way for children to learn about travel, visiting and sharing. :)

ChocolateChip
25-10-2010, 07:12 PM
My dd had the Travelling Ted from her nursery last week, all they send out is the bear and his diary, one of those large books that they tend to use for 'busy books', then it's up to us to fill a page up. Some had stuck in leaves or shells that they had found or put in a photo or just decorated the page- and the parents had written the diary of what they'd done.

angeldelight
25-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Hi

I would like to set up a special teddy for my setting that could be a mixture of a Traveling ted and one that can stay and explore some of the activities we do as well. I think I have seen another thread about traveling teds but can't find it. Any suggestions for resources and activities to use it with? Thanks

When you have it ready we could do a swap if you like for a week or so ?

Angel xx

karensmart4
26-10-2010, 04:02 PM
I bought mine on ebay for £1.99 he is a bear factory bear so I had a bargain, but I did get carried away with accesseries :joker:

I introduced our bear at snack time and explained all about him. Then we all had a vote to name him.... Billy :D

He has an A5 book for his Diary and an old Winnie the pooh baby bag to keep his things in.

So far Billy has been to a lo's Nanny's to help lay a new patio, he has been to a bbq. Billy has his passport and went to Fueteventura a couple of weeks ago and at the moment he is in Cumbria :-)

When Billy is getting ready to go away all of the children help to pack his bag and say their goodbyes, and when he comes back we read his diary together and look at the photo's of what he's been up to :D

The children all get sooo much out of having Billy and they love looking at some of the extra photo's we have been given that we've put on 'Billy's Adventures' board. There is one picture that they all laugh at, it's of Billy hanging on one of the lo's washing line after he got dirty :panic: Oh and another one of him with his arm in a bandage and a plaster on his head where , 'he ran and the floor was slippy and he fell over' oops :)

As you can see it teaches the children so very much, and it's great for the children's self worth :thumbsup:

mr man
26-10-2010, 06:49 PM
we have today created 'flat Stanley' hes a charater from a very old book years ago when i was young. My dad was making up stories with my two children over the weekend about flat Stanley and his adventures.

well today we created him with card and pins. you know the pins that give things the moving parts (so he fits into a A5 envelope). anyway we are going to send flat Stanley to my dad ( they live quite far away) and do exaclty what i thinking the travelling bear is ?? am i right ??

my D had the idea of making one for school too, so when we go back we are going to ask the head if she can introduce him and the people can take him home and write their own adventures down.

i so cannot wait for mindess to have this fun with too......

angeldelight
26-10-2010, 07:03 PM
we have today created 'flat Stanley' hes a charater from a very old book years ago when i was young. My dad was making up stories with my two children over the weekend about flat Stanley and his adventures.

well today we created him with card and pins. you know the pins that give things the moving parts (so he fits into a A5 envelope). anyway we are going to send flat Stanley to my dad ( they live quite far away) and do exaclty what i thinking the travelling bear is ?? am i right ??

my D had the idea of making one for school too, so when we go back we are going to ask the head if she can introduce him and the people can take him home and write their own adventures down.

i so cannot wait for mindess to have this fun with too......

My children when younger loved Flat Stanley and now my older grandchildren love him

Great idea

Angel xxx

AnnieM
26-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Oooh... off to google Flat Stanley!! Never heard of him. :blush:

I started a travelling teddy, we now have 2, Buddy and Bella. They are Build a Bears and have lots of outfits, they have the Jofli backpacks and a diary to share. We started it at the beginning of the summer and they have been on several outings with us, they have been on holiday with me and mindees to Devon, Cornwall, Jersey, York and Portugal. Only problem is the kids who have had them have all got that attached to them their parents have bought them their own, which now means they aren't interested in looking after ours anymore! :(

Louise B
26-10-2010, 10:26 PM
What a fantastic idea!! I'm off to order a new teddy.... xx

janminder
27-10-2010, 07:44 AM
I used to have one travelling ted but this year got another one as childrens holidays often clash. When taken abroad they have a passport which has one page per journey detailing where went, who with and dates and I ask the parents to by a stamp from that country which also goes on the page. I have a photo album for photos of ted at his different destinations 'enjoying' activities.