PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping babies...

buzzy bee
25-10-2010, 02:14 PM
At the moment, I write in their daily diaries where they slept, sometimes how they got to sleep (eg with dummy / rocked etc), and how long they slept for.

Is this enough?

Do I need to be keeping a log of the times they were checked on etc?

Mookins
25-10-2010, 02:32 PM
i think but not entirely sure that you are supposed to keep a log of times and to include the times and how you chwecked on them too whether it be listening throught the monitor or checking in person

xx

Mollymop
25-10-2010, 02:38 PM
You need to make a note of times child slept, how long for and times you checked on the child. I keep all this info in child's diary. x

buzzy bee
25-10-2010, 02:40 PM
thanks. and how often are you meant to check on them? i think i do too it too much - i'm up and down like a yoyo!! also, one of them sleeps in the same room so i can see him at all times so don't know what i'd put down for that?

Mookins
25-10-2010, 02:44 PM
i check my mindee every 10/15 mins i do it in person as im a proper worry wort lol
xxx

Penny1959
25-10-2010, 02:54 PM
All my children sleep downstairs so I can keep a constant check on them - as can hear everything at all times and can see most of time.

I am also a worrier and the reason I do not sleep upstairs is because I am concerned about getting to those upstairs if there was a fire.

Think if I did sleep upstairs or in seperate room (out of sight) I would use a baby monitor - I know of someone who has a monitor that also shows a picture of what child is doing (like a close circuit thing)

Penny :)

sarah707
25-10-2010, 03:19 PM
I write down where and when they slept and for how long in diaries.

My risk assessment says I check every 10 minutes but in truth it's more often than that.

:D

em29
25-10-2010, 03:43 PM
My risk assessment says i check every 30 mins. Everyone would wake up if i kept up and down the stairs :panic: Is this too long?

Fabby
25-10-2010, 05:15 PM
You dont need to wrie down the times you have checked. It is not a requirement but it is seen as good practice. I dont record the times - i have more important things to do. I do constantly check on them though and they sleep downstairs. Just put it in your RA this is efficient enough.

Mazz
25-10-2010, 05:30 PM
I dont make a record of checks, though i do check them every 20 mins or so, i think it would be a bit extreme to be a requirement to record this anywhere. I just write down in the journal what time they went to sleep and what time they woke up.

snufflepuff
25-10-2010, 05:33 PM
I just write down what time they fell asleep and what time they woke up. They sleep downstairs so i'm always there keeping an eye on them- if I pop upstairs i'm only ever gone for a few minutes.

Noomie
25-10-2010, 05:35 PM
God, I'm glad someone told me about this. I would have perhaps checked and would use a monitor but if any babies are like my daughter, they would wake up everytime I went in which isn't good either.

So is it good practice to check on them every 10-15mins?

As for recording, I would have only written down the nap times and how long, not when I checked.

Chatterbox Childcare
25-10-2010, 05:36 PM
I don't do daily diaries so it isn't recorded but verbally given.

I don't open the door to check on them because they wake up so I listen.

Curly Quavers
25-10-2010, 05:44 PM
I dont make a record of checks, though i do check them every 20 mins or so, i think it would be a bit extreme to be a requirement to record this anywhere. I just write down in the journal what time they went to sleep and what time they woke up.

This is what I do and agree 100%

little chickee
25-10-2010, 06:24 PM
I don't do daily diaries so it isn't recorded but verbally given.

I don't open the door to check on them because they wake up so I listen.

I do open the door if they have been asleep a while cos i like to check they are still breathing!! Still do this with my own kids and the oldest is 13!!

ChocolateChip
25-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Mine sleep in travel cots upstairs, I have a monitor in each room so listening constantly and do a visual check about every 20 minutes. I only write down the times they sleep and wake, not the check times or anything else, I would discuss with the parent verbally if there was anything to report, like didn't settle very well today, etc.

babs
25-10-2010, 07:25 PM
mine sleep downstairs in travel cot till they are round 1 then they sleep upstairs cus they seem to go down better.. when downstairs i check constantly when upstairs i do write down times ive checked about every 20 to 30 minutes sometimes more depends if i think i can hear them... think we all worry i check for breathin too i stand and watch thier chest:blush: :blush:

Helcatt
25-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Mine have to sleep 2 florrs up - cos of the stooooopid lay out of this house, so I have to have a monitor. I have one that you can see them aswell as hear them so I know if they stand up etc

We also have a creaky floorboard strategically placed so that you could not go sneaking in anyway!

I am contantly checking the monitor and visually go up at least every 20 mins

I don't record times but have been told it is considered "good practice"

Hx

teacake2
26-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Mine all sleep downstairs for two reasons, I haven't got upstairs bedrooms registered and many moons ago fire officer advised not to put them upstairs in case of emergency especially if more than one little one looked after, so I have never done it.
The things we remember from years ago!!!!, my trouble is I can't remember what I was told a few hours ago:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Teacake2

loobyloo168
26-10-2010, 02:25 PM
I note the times on their daily sheet, but as they all sleep downstairs on the sofas or in the buggy im there with them so i dont officially check.

Mookins
26-10-2010, 03:05 PM
this is very interesting to read and checked with a friend of mine i met on the iCp course as i thought maybe i was creating more work for myself, she said we were told that we HAVE to keep a seperate log on file of times and how we checked the child, this log needs to be done for each nap/sleep and kept in a file!!

so there was a reason to my madness!!
:rolleyes:
xx

IndigoMoon
27-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Mine sleeps in a proper pram in the playroom so is checked on all the time. In the past I have had parents asking me not to check on their child because to do so would wake them up so I've asked them to sign something to that effect and abided by their wishes.