PDA

View Full Version : Hand foot and mouth

little_gems
25-10-2010, 01:24 PM
mindee turned up this morning fine, i was making dinner and she said "look at my hand its got tiny spots all over it"

They are tiny little red spots some have now formed into blisters.

The first thing that came to my mind was hand foot and mouth, I've contacted mum and she's taking her to the doctors later.

If it is HFM would you let the child come for the rest of the week and also what about her brother???

Luckly i dont have any other children today and mine are at grandparents. so im not to worried but i guess im going to have to anti bac everything if it is.

Mollymop
25-10-2010, 02:36 PM
SOunds like HFM, it is going around our schools at the moment and we had an unconfirmed case in my setting a few weeks ago. It is highly contagious so child needs to stay away for a few days until blisters have dried up. Keep brother as long as he is ok - apparently the child is ill for a few days before the blisters appear so if he is fine I would allow him to stay.

xx

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
25-10-2010, 02:52 PM
I personally would ask that he didnt attend, although now it has been down-graded by the health authority and they say no exclusion necessary

Penny1959
25-10-2010, 03:03 PM
In my area - advice is also that no exclusion needed and that 'rash does not indicate infectivity'

However if large numbers (what a large number is - it does not say) need to contact HPU.

Says is infectious for 2 - 3 days before rash and a few days after rash.

Think you need to check what advice is in your area as parents could complain (especially if charge for illness) if exclusion not recommended in your area - only exception would be if you had own policy saying what would exclude for.

Penny :)

RachelE
25-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Minded childs Mum had this last week. (she's a nurse, so had to have it confirmed to stay off work)

Our Dr, said that she was ok really to go to work as it isnt contagious.
However, Mum said she was in agony from the spots in her mouth and felt rubbish. In this case, if it were a child, I would suggest that they stay at home.

Dr's used to say stay away from pregnant ladies too, but our dr said there us no risk.

Rachel x

venus89
25-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Minded childs Mum had this last week. (she's a nurse, so had to have it confirmed to stay off work)

Our Dr, said that she was ok really to go to work as it isnt contagious.
However, Mum said she was in agony from the spots in her mouth and felt rubbish. In this case, if it were a child, I would suggest that they stay at home.

Dr's used to say stay away from pregnant ladies too, but our dr said there us no risk.

Rachel x

It is contagious!
When my mindee caught it from a child at the Children's Centre Mum took him to the doctor's who said that technically I could keep him off for 4 weeks :eek: but 1 would be adequate. Then another child in my care came down with it the following week so I had a quiet couple of weeks - their Dr, a different one, also recommended a week off as it's so contagious.....

em29
25-10-2010, 03:38 PM
I had my mindee have this - sent her home with a rash appearing initially on her belly. This faded and went onto hands and feet with little blisters. She stayed off for over a week and lo and behold 7 days later my son got it. He was pretty miserable and didnt want to stand up as had blisters all over the soles of his feet. Having seen how it made him feel i would always exclude for atleast a week - or until blisters have started to disappear. He came out in new blisters over a course of three days as did mindee.

little_gems
25-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Well it is HFM and mums doctors has told her that it's very contagious and it can be for up to 3-5 days before the blisters and up to 3 WEEKS :eek: after. Once the blisters have dired up its less contagious but still can be until they have all gone.

Mum has said she might keep the brother of as well as theres a very high chance that he'll have it as well.