PDA

View Full Version : Tidying up

snufflepuff
25-10-2010, 10:41 AM
I have a mindee who will not tidy up. She is 21 months old. My son (20 months) and other mindee (16 months) both give it a good go, and seem to enjoy helping to tidy up- they cheer and clap eachother! But this oldest mindee just has no clue. I have tried showing her what to do, making it in to a fun game, making a point of going really over the top with praise for the other two when they are helping, but she just stands there looking a bit confused, bless her.
Now, I know she is still very young, i'm not expecting miracles, but an attempt to put at least one thing away would be great. I feel a bit sorry for the two children who actually do tidy up, especially as the child who doesn't help is the child who makes the most mess, lol!
Is there anything I can do to encourage her to help a bit? (I keep thinking maybe i'm asking too much as she is still very little, but then if the other two younger children can do it, and have been doing so for quite a while, why shouldn't she?)

mushpea
25-10-2010, 11:04 AM
when i have one that wont tidy i stop everybody, split the toys in to piles so each child has a pile of toys to put away,, then they are not allowed to play with anything else till they have put the toys away. you coudl start with a small pile for her and build it up, if its a going home time or going out time then leave them till you get back and then get her to put then away before she gets out anymore toys.

suzyblue
25-10-2010, 11:25 AM
I had this recently. The little girl (aged 2) knew what to do but was being stubborn all week about putting the toys back into the boxes at lunch time. She would let the boys do it then go off to have her lunch so on the 3rd day I sorted out a little pile for her to do with the box right next to her. She just stood there, arms folded and then ran off to get her lunch when the boys did, so I told her that she could have her lunch when she had put the toys away and took her back to the pile. She threw a big wobbly, so I left her while I made the drinks then cheerfully went in and said 'right come on lets do it together' I had to put the first 2 toys in the box then she started to put them in. I praised her and she is now fine about it.
My advice is to take it slowly and give lots of praise Good luck!

margaret
25-10-2010, 12:00 PM
I make a game out of it ,all the red toys,all the yellow toys ,or count 1-5 etc,hold childs hand with toy in and get her to put toy away.loads of praise and encouragement,stickers work quite well,especially if others get them and she doesnt.

ziggy
25-10-2010, 12:35 PM
we all tidy up b4 eating, going to the park, playing outside, going school run etc and dont eat/go out until it's done, i also give each child a little pile if one isnt keen to help out.

All join in now shouting 'tidy up time, tidy up time' so it has become quite a game. I give lots of praise to the children doing most of the 'work' and the others usually follow

Good luck!!!

snufflepuff
25-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Hmmm.....I just tried giving each child a pile to tidy up.....my son and E tidied their own piles then both tidied G's pile for her, lol! Bless them! They got loads of praise and a sticker for doing it all, and G wasn't in the least bit bothered that she was left out!

ziggy
26-10-2010, 07:56 AM
oh dear sounds like u have a stubborn one there lol, good luck

Bernie
26-10-2010, 01:11 PM
When its 'Tidy Up Time' I start singing....

Everybody tidy up, tidy up, tidy up
Everybody tide up just like me.

Then I start to tidy up whilst singing. When they start to help they get their name mentioned in the song.

Everybody tidy up, tidy up, tidy up,
Everybody tidy up, just like 'Henry'

It seems to work even for the littlies.

Good luck.