PDA

View Full Version : Christian Beliefs and Values

VINASOL
25-10-2010, 07:48 AM
I have two children starting in the New Year and their parents are real church-goers and have strong christian beliefs.

For example, they do not celebrate things like Halloween (and are not allowed to participate in anything arts/crafts to do with this).

The children have been over to play and are coming over again this week and I already have to watch my language as apparently 'oh my god' or 'hell' are words not allowed.

So, I wondered if anyone can give me some advice if you have families like this too... I'm not concerned by this at all but wondered what you guys do?

Playmate
25-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Best thing is to talk to the parents. Ask them what they do and don't want. A lot of of us are Christians, but all have slightly different values. I'm a practicising RC and whilst I don't like certain words being used by my children I turn a blind eye to what others say (but I don't allow swearing and I may ask a mindee not to use a certain word, OMG if it is ued persistently) Same with halloween, whilst I don't particulary like it, I appreciate that there is a lot of fun that goes with it for children and won't be a spoil sport (mind you my own children do not trick or treat :D ) I'm sure your parent would value the fact you are trying respet her beliefs :D

mama2three
25-10-2010, 08:19 AM
I can only echo what Playmate has said. I dont allow children to say Oh my God , I just remodel with oh my goodness etc. And I dont think oh Hell is appropriate either by a child or infront of a child. The thing is with 'christian values' we all have a different way of putting them into practice and put more emphasis on certain areas. One family I know always have fish on Fridays and Im sure would ask a cm to follow this - It certainly wouldnt be high on my list when looking for a cm though!
Im sure the parents would welcome a chat with you about things that they feel very strongly about and things they will tolerate. They need to know that their child will learn about lots of different faiths and beliefs and that you teach them in a way that shows it is not what 'we' believe neccessarily , but lots of families around the world do.
Good Luck x

FussyElmo
25-10-2010, 08:22 AM
I agree everyone practises a little bit different. I try and stamp on the words God, hell, Jesus etc but I let the children do halloween crafts but we also talk about all saints day the next day so there is a nice medium for us.

Echo the above ask the parents they should appreicate it :thumbsup: