PDA

View Full Version : How to Employ An Assistant/CRB

VINASOL
25-10-2010, 07:43 AM
I've decided to ask a friend to help me out next year as there is a possiblity that I will need to look after another 3 year old, which would take me over my numbers by 1 for one hour a day (3 days a week).

I think that I need to complete a CR2 form, but is it the same process as when we registered in that once Ofsted receive the forms they then send the applicant a CRB form?

Any help much appreciated.

sarah707
25-10-2010, 09:02 AM
You need to ring Ofsted and inform them that you are taking on an assistant.

They will direct you to the relevant forms and give you information you need.

You cannot work with anyone until they have Ofsted's permission.

You will then need to put them through a Paed first aid course if you want to leave them alone with children.

Before being alone with children you need specific permission from Ofsted on your certificate and permission from parents.

It is also advisable to update some of your policies and procedures such as whistle blowing, safeguarding etc and to write p & ps covering grievance procedures.

Hth :D

Noomie
25-10-2010, 09:03 PM
I've been looking into this at the moment as well.

I rang Ofsted and they told me that assistant needs to fill our EY2 form (England). They will then get CRB forms that they will need to complete. As Sarah has said, you will need them to do a Paed First Aid course if you want them to be left alone with the children.

I also rang other bodies to find out what else is expected. HMRC can send you out a pack about becoming an employer and paying tax and NI (if you pay them above £97 / month. They also gave me a number to call about employees accruing holiday pay, etc.

Basically, it is very easy to employ an assistant but make sure when you ring various people that you ask a lot of questions including, is there anything else I need to know / should consider?

VINASOL
26-10-2010, 08:54 AM
I've been looking into this at the moment as well.

I rang Ofsted and they told me that assistant needs to fill our EY2 form (England). They will then get CRB forms that they will need to complete. As Sarah has said, you will need them to do a Paed First Aid course if you want them to be left alone with the children.

I also rang other bodies to find out what else is expected. HMRC can send you out a pack about becoming an employer and paying tax and NI (if you pay them above £97 / month. They also gave me a number to call about employees accruing holiday pay, etc.

Basically, it is very easy to employ an assistant but make sure when you ring various people that you ask a lot of questions including, is there anything else I need to know / should consider?

thanks for that. at the moment it is planned that she will just work 3 hours a week at min wage; how would it work out for holiday pay etc with just working 3 hours?

Chatterbox Childcare
26-10-2010, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't bother you will lose money

Why not ask for a variation for the 3 hours

Noomie
26-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Sounds like you won't need to pay holiday for years to come and for that matter, any tax or NI for the person. Perhaps Debbie is right and it may not be worth it. Try for the variation instead. However if you intend to use the person MORE in future and get more business from it then sus it all out. Plus you may just like having the other person around, which is one of the reasons I want an assistant, plus if we take on extra it will be beneficial.

Honestly, give HMRC a call. They will reassure you how easy it is and send you out a pack. Ask for examples and explain what you will require from assistant. Ask what about holiday pay and they will put you on to ACAS(?) Just keep asking questions.

sarah707
26-10-2010, 07:01 PM
I spoke to HMRC last week about assistants and pay.

I was told that so long as the assistant is free to look for another job then s/he can register as self employed.

A self employed person is responsible for their own tax and NI payments and will complete a self employed tax return like we do.

I have the name and extension number of the person I spoke to for any queries please pm me.

Hth :D

oneofeach
26-10-2010, 07:06 PM
How about if your assistant was self employed and they billed you for hours worked?

It would then be up to them to pay tax and NI and not you as you don't employ them.

My mum is my assistant so we have a "flexible payment arrangment":blush:

Noomie
26-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Great advice Sarah, I forgot NCMA mentioned that there were two routes you could go down. One where assistant is self employed and one where you employ them.