PDA

View Full Version : Hi! Ofsted are coming a week tomorrow, please help!!

PinkFairy24
24-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Hi everyone and thanks for you help!

Am just reading up on all of this paperwork!! Wow, is there so much to look through.

Can I please ask, what would I need to know by memory? I'm guessing that we need to fully know the four themes and six areas of learning? But do I need to be able to recite the principles or commitments?

Also what would I need to know for certain of the Statutory framework?

Thanking you all so much, am so wanting this visit, but am so not looking forward to it if that makes sense!!!

Love Claire X x X

mummyof3
24-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Hi take a deep breath you will be fine. The main thing they grill you on is safeguarding - as long as you know this inside out you will be fine. Good luck :D

Louise B
24-10-2010, 10:36 PM
I was so worried too!! They didn't ask me anything specific about the EYFS, just very general stuff, things about safety. I talked through what I was going to finish off in the house, eg get locks on cupboard doors, keep alcohol out of reach, etc. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as I'd expected! I had a couple of things to finish before they'd register me, but once I confirmed they'd been done, they got my registration done. I'm still worried that I've missed something!!! Every now and then I pick something up on here and realise I'm missing a piece of paperwork or a list of something. I'm still learning with the EYFS, I only have one little girl for 8 hours a week, so it's not like I'm getting lots of experience, but hopefully I'll be ok for the inspection.

Good luck, it really isn't as bad as you'd think. It's such a relief when they're gone though!! :)

Newbie1!
25-10-2010, 06:46 AM
I was so worried too!! They didn't ask me anything specific about the EYFS, just very general stuff, things about safety. I talked through what I was going to finish off in the house, eg get locks on cupboard doors, keep alcohol out of reach, etc. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as I'd expected! I had a couple of things to finish before they'd register me, but once I confirmed they'd been done, they got my registration done. I'm still worried that I've missed something!!! Every now and then I pick something up on here and realise I'm missing a piece of paperwork or a list of something. I'm still learning with the EYFS, I only have one little girl for 8 hours a week, so it's not like I'm getting lots of experience, but hopefully I'll be ok for the inspection.

Good luck, it really isn't as bad as you'd think. It's such a relief when they're gone though!! :)

Bang on and very true Louise - couldnt have summed it up better myself! :laughing:

miffy
25-10-2010, 06:50 AM
Try and relax - if this is your pre-reg visit the inspector is there to help you so make a note of anything you're not sure about and ask.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll be fine

Miffy xx

PinkFairy24
26-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Aww thanks so much for all the lovely replies!!

Do I need to write most of my policies? I'm a little stuck on the safeguarding one? Is it basically about the safety of the children and being aware of the signs of abuse and neglect?

I'm trying to find out information about children's development, so that I can show that I have toys to cover this and am going to write a list of toys that I am also looking for!

Do I need to be able to know by memory the themes, principles and commitments etc? They are so detailed and I'm only just getting my head around them! There are just so many titles and headings!

I was also reading that there needs to be an area for children to go and relax or sleep? We didn't really want to use our living room as we have a playroom, but there is a playpen in there for our daughter in case she needs a nap. Would it be ok do you think? It is next door to the playroom.

I'm also looking into doing a food safety certificate on-line as I think that parents might feel more comfortable with this. Has anyone found a good one which send you a certificate?

Sorry for all the questions!! Am just realising how near this finally is and am struggling to do loads of studying around entertaining our 8 month old daughter! Hehe, what fun!! :clapping: :laughing:

Thanks again, loads of love, Claire X x X

Louise B
26-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Hi Claire, I used loads of information from the NCMA, I copied most of their policies, but re-worded to suit my setting. The safeguarding one was good because it listed all the numbers I needed to have, I wouldn't have known that without someone telling me. The Bromley website is really good too, gave me loads of ideas. I've just this week re-done my policies, although some were the same, but my development worker wanted me to re-word some bits of them. Don't worry too much, just do what you can and they'll help you, I really did worry, but they're there to help you and advise, not to say no.

I honestly thought they'd come out, take one look at the house, the paperwork, and my nervous state, and just say "no way, you're useless"!!! lol. She was lovely though, and really put me at ease, I felt like she wasn't the enemy. Not sure I'll still feel like that when they're inspecting though!! lol. xx:eek: