PDA

View Full Version : Stained glass biscuits

angeldelight
17-12-2007, 09:15 AM
Stained Glass Window Biscuits

These novelty Christmas cookies shaped like Christmas Trees, Stars, Bells and Reindeer etc.. are fun to make together with children. They particularly enjoy crushing the sweets and using cookie cutters to cut our shapes from the dough. The melted sweets harden to make a window in the centre of the biscuits and they look wonderful hanging on a Christmas Tree.

Ingredients
350g/12 oz plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt (half)
2 tsp ground ginger
100g (4 oz) butter
175g (6 oz) soft brown sugar
1 egg
4 tbsp golden syrup

different coloured fruit flavoured boiled sweets
narrow ribbon

Method:
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar. Beat together the egg and golden syrup and mix into the flour mixture to make a smooth dough, kneading lightly with your hands.

Crush the sweets in their wrappers using a rolling pin. Sprinkle flour on a clean work surface and roll out the dough until about 1/2cm (1/4in) thick, then cut into shapes using a selection of Christmas Cookie cutters. Transfer to lined baking sheets.

Cut out shapes in the centre of each biscuit, making sure you leave a good edge all around the biscuit. Completely fill the hole in each biscuit with crushed boiled sweets.

Make a hole at the top of each biscuit using a drinking straw so that you will be able to thread a ribbon through it later. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.

While the biscuits are still warm, check the holes are still there, otherwise push a straw through again. Do not remove the biscuits from the baking tray until they have cooled as the boiled sweets need to harden. Once the sweets have hardened, gently lift the biscuits onto a wire rack with a palette knife to finish cooling.

You can decorate the biscuits with piped white icing (see Gingerbread Recipe) .

Thread ribbons through the holes to make loops for hanging.

Information

MAKES ABOUT 25 BISCUITS

Monkey1
18-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Thank you Angel, These are always a big hit !

angeldelight
10-11-2008, 06:58 PM
very yummy

xxx

charleyfarley
10-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks another great activity for los to do

Carol xx

FizzysFriends
10-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Does anyone hang these on the tree? How do you wrap them?

angeldelight
18-11-2009, 07:49 AM
Bumping this up again

Angel xxx

It's a small world
18-11-2009, 07:56 AM
We love making these we do them for all occasions I think we first did them after seeing Big cook little cook making them...

Thanks for sharing..

patevans
18-11-2009, 08:26 AM
I'll give this a go without the children first in case they dont turn out properly :laughing:

PixiePetal
18-11-2009, 09:21 AM
I'll give this a go without the children first in case they dont turn out properly :laughing:

Me too, never tried them so don't want a baking disaster :blush:

angeldelight
08-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Bumping this up

Angel xx

clio0602
08-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Can you believe I went to Asda to get some boiled sweets for these and they didn't have any :( Change of plan for me tomorrow :rolleyes:

Zoomie
08-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Can you believe I went to Asda to get some boiled sweets for these and they didn't have any :( Change of plan for me tomorrow :rolleyes:

Yeah, I wanted to do this for traffic lights last month, but Sainsbury's didn't have boiled sweet either.

Anyone know where to get them ?

Chatterbox Childcare
08-12-2010, 11:42 PM
I do these each christmas and use a basic cookie receipe with either trees or stars and the children put a hole in the top and hang them from the tree afterwards too.

angeldelight
09-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Yeah, I wanted to do this for traffic lights last month, but Sainsbury's didn't have boiled sweet either.

Anyone know where to get them ?

How weird is that

Try the pound shop or your local corner shop

Angel xx

kindredspirits
09-12-2010, 08:39 AM
or a petrol station! :thumbsup:

maisiemog
11-11-2011, 02:34 PM
We made these last week. Did them in the shape of stars and put sticks in the bottom of them so they were sparklers! The little ones loved it! Older ones enjoyed eating them!!!

Had to go to the market sweet stall to get the boiled sweets. was the only place I could find them!!!

angeldelight
12-11-2011, 01:27 PM
We made these last week. Did them in the shape of stars and put sticks in the bottom of them so they were sparklers! The little ones loved it! Older ones enjoyed eating them!!!

Had to go to the market sweet stall to get the boiled sweets. was the only place I could find them!!!

Sainsburys and Asda sell the sweets

Do you have any pics?

Angel xx

littleelm
14-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Sainsburys do the sweets, think they call them something like 'clear fruits' or something!

Here is a link to the sainsburys recipe! Much easier as no sweet crushing involved! It also has a photo!

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1321266984629

flowerpots
14-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Ooooh they look lovely, will fit this in next month. thanks angel for posting. :clapping:

solly
14-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Will try this on my own first just to make sure they turn out okay. Thanks for the receipe Angel :)

Dragonfly
14-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Do this every year always a success. If worried put them on parchment or silicon.Can be wrapped in cellophane or the cellophane bags:thumbsup: (put the ribbon through the hole scrunch bag at top of biscuit so ribbon is outside secure with a piece of tape)

jadavi
14-11-2011, 07:38 PM
We also make ginger bread houses with these stained glass windows. Really pretty,