PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one on my own? (rant!)

crazyhazy
24-10-2010, 08:18 PM
I recently got a couple of Sarahs ebooks including the one on childminding in scotland and have just got around to having a good read. I'm finding it useful but also getting increasingly disappointed at the references to the support etc you should received, eg child development officer, childminder induction training etc. When I called to arrange to start the registration process I was told by the scma that there were no courses in my area and it wouldn't be possible for me to attend any on another area, we also have no child development officer. In fact since I started the registration process in Jan, (registered in april and started working right away) I have met my care commission officer twice and that is all the help/contact I have received from anyone. I just feel a bit on my own and a bit lost as to what I'm supposed to be doing paperwork wise etc, hence me getting the ebook which so far is proving helpful so thanks sarah x

clio0602
24-10-2010, 08:23 PM
I have only met my support worker once so all by myself too. If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have a clue x

snufflepuff
24-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Not much support around here either. On our ICP course the tutor said when our application is being processed the local development officer would get in touch to come and say hi and help out. She said they always pop round before your inspections too. I have only met the CMDO once and that's because I booked myself on to a course she was running- If I hadn't done so I still wouldn't have met her. A friend has been trying to get in touch with her for a couple of months to arrange some training/ support for a small group of us but she hasn't got back to her.
There is a childminding group, but it seems you have to be an NCMA member to join (a toddler group I go to uses the same room as the childminding group and I read their notice board).... i'm not a member and don't want to embarrass myself by turing up if i'm not welcome! (Not that the CMs themselves would make me feel unwelcome, the few I have met so far have all been lovely)

Louise B
24-10-2010, 08:29 PM
My support worker came out pre-reg and once since, she's lovely but always seems to have another meeting to rush off to! She's got a development worker who's going to book to visit me, but I've heard nothing so far, and that was about 5 weeks ago!! I feel really in the dark sometimes and I've found out FAR more information from this forum, than I have from anywhere else!

Each night when I log on here I find something else out that I should be doing! Bit scary, but on the other hand, if I hadn't joined this forum I would be in a right state and doing loads of things wrong. The advice about paperwork has been fantastic for me.xxx

sarah707
25-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Support is supposed to be there for everyone but sadly it's not in so many cases... which is part of the reason why I research and write!!

If all the local agencies were doing their jobs properly there would be no need for people to get extra information...

BUT many of them are not and it makes me cross.

So many childminders tell me that they don't know where to turn for help and with the cash crisis now it's only going to get worse.

Plus I'm afraid Scotland is the worst for sharing information and informing people about what's going on / changes being made.

I have to rely on my friends on here for giving me updates ... which is surely not right! :(

I am so pleased you are finding the information useful. :D

mrs robbie williams
25-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Im totally with you on that one too hun - i get all my information from this forum its brilliant :clapping: ive got some of Sarah's e-books aswell and they are such a help xx