PDA

View Full Version : Need to pick your brains.

Dare4Distance
24-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Does anyone know what time you can look after children till before you need to be registered for overnight care? Is there a cut off time? and is it easy to register for overnight care if I need to?

I'm thinking of offering care for new years eve till about 1am, like a party for children while their parents are out.

Mouse
24-10-2010, 08:17 PM
I always thought overnight care was after 10pm, but I'm sure I read once that there isn't a set time.

It's more to do with when you go to bed, where the children sleep etc.

If they were there till 1am, but didn't actually go up to bed, I don't think it would count as overnight care.

Pipsqueak
24-10-2010, 09:08 PM
I think its 10pm isn't it?

Lady Haha
24-10-2010, 09:46 PM
I remember reading somewhere that it was 2am (as long as you are awake and not in bed yourself!)

As for registering for overnight care, the thing that stopped me from being able to do it was the fact that I don't have a fully opening window at the front of the house, just the top bit opens if you know what I mean. Something you might not even think about could cause probs:( I can't afford to have a new window put in, would take ALOT of overnighters to pay back for that!!! Also, they want you to have interlinked smoke alarms and be able to shut the kitchen door. I have the alarms, but my downstairs is open plan with the stairs going up the side of the room, so no kitchen door here!

tashaleee
24-10-2010, 10:04 PM
I remember reading somewhere that it was 2am (as long as you are awake and not in bed yourself!)

As for registering for overnight care, the thing that stopped me from being able to do it was the fact that I don't have a fully opening window at the front of the house, just the top bit opens if you know what I mean. Something you might not even think about could cause probs:( I can't afford to have a new window put in, would take ALOT of overnighters to pay back for that!!! Also, they want you to have interlinked smoke alarms and be able to shut the kitchen door. I have the alarms, but my downstairs is open plan with the stairs going up the side of the room, so no kitchen door here!

Im not sure about the kitchen door bit or the window opening stopping you from being registered for overnight care - I was never asked about either when I registered (though admittedly Ive never actually done it but I am registered for it)

Dare4Distance
25-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the replies

From what I've read online and in my books, it's only classed as overnight care if you're going to be asleep. So I don't think I need to register for overnight care since none of the kids will be staying over. I'll ring Ofsted tomorrow to double check.

Tinglesnark
25-10-2010, 04:30 PM
let us know what they say! its a good idea, more like babysitting really isnt it? what will you charge? perhaps you could offer some evenings for the parents to go christmas shopping too?

Dare4Distance
25-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Most basic babysitters seem to charge things like £20 an hour for new years eve! :eek: So I'm thinking I'd be popular if I charged £10 an hour. So it would be £50 for the evening, 8pm-1am.

I think it will be fun, we don't have any plans to go out for New Year anyway.

I was thinking about doing some in the run up to Christmas too, for parents that want to do shopping or have Christmas parties to go to.

What kind of paper work do you need to have for children that only come to you for one evening?

Chatterbox Childcare
25-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Why not babysit in your home instead of childminding?

Dare4Distance
25-10-2010, 06:37 PM
What's the difference?

Chimps Childminding
25-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Sounds like a good idea - hope you get plenty of takers :thumbsup:

loobyloo168
26-10-2010, 02:17 PM
I was told by Ofsted overnight care was between the hours of 2000 & 0600, but you could work past 2000 as long as the majority of hours you cared for a certain child were before 2000,

e.g you could work till 0000 as long as you had looked after the child from 1500 or earlier.

It confused me for weeks !

Dare4Distance
28-10-2010, 01:09 PM
I was told by Ofsted overnight care was between the hours of 2000 & 0600, but you could work past 2000 as long as the majority of hours you cared for a certain child were before 2000,

e.g you could work till 0000 as long as you had looked after the child from 1500 or earlier.

It confused me for weeks !

Yep, just called Ofsted. They said the same as you said. Overnight care is when a child is looked after with the majority of the hours between 8pm and 6am.

I'm going to register for overnight care, they're sending me the forms.

What are the rules for babysitting in your own home rather than childminding?