PDA

View Full Version : Base Line Assessment

cs01
24-10-2010, 07:07 PM
I have a new starter tomorrow, the first since my last inspection, and in my inspection report, one of the comments my inspector made was:

Currently there is no base-line assessments completed to act as a starting point and to also clearly see the overall progress children make whilst in the childminder’s care.

What sort of thing should I be writing down? I have an `all about me' form for the child, already completed by the parent. Should it be a simple summary of what the child can already do, eg eat with a fork but not yet a knife, fit the shapes in the correct slot in the shape sorter etc?

Thank you!

Pipsqueak
24-10-2010, 07:11 PM
your baseline will be knowing what the child can do, needs help doing etc - most of this informationb will come from the parent and your obs - ie own zip, taking own shoes off, speech etc.

I don't write down anything specific - apart from obs, but I do mark of bits on the dev.matters grids so i can get an awareness of where that child is at.

sarah707
25-10-2010, 09:21 AM
It's also known as plotting the child's 'starting points' and it's very important for some inspectors that you have a clearly written document called starting points which shows what the child can do.

You should use info from parents, the child, your initial obs and anything from other settings to form a picture of the child.

Link it back to the Eyfs 6 areas of learning and development and show where you are going to support the child next.

This feeds directly into your individual planning.

Hth :D